ECM Programmers ?? and Secret Squirrel Chit

I understand none of what your doing but it's cool lol

Ah hell, it ain't that hard. The ECM and PCM and everything else on the truck is tied together on the CAN. They all transmit the data in packets. The hard part is figuring out what info you want is in what packet. Most of them comply to the J1939 standard....except for some jackass proprietary codes from Dodge that I may have to reverse engineer. :D

Not hard...just hours of trial and error. Once I set the display to show the variable I want, I hit save and put the program on a USB drive. Then I upload it into the display and reboot. Vwalla....a new display. Crap the color is wrong. Change the color and do it all again.

No plans on selling the stuff; however, you can buy everything I'm using off the shelf. It is quite pricey, but very nice to be able to take a laptop and configure everything down to the nut-n-bolts anytime you want. I'd be glad to help folks if they want to go this route. I'm more of a "beta-tester" in this deal so I am not able to sell anything I have.

There is no witch-craft box. The CAN pins on the back side of this display connects directly to the ECM Diag CAN. Anything that is on the bus you are able to display, keep track of maximums, do calcualtions between two variables, change units, animate screens, data log, read trouble codes, clear trouble codes, control a remote power distribution box that operates from CAN (a cool feature I've not yet tried) for lights or fuel pumps or etc, etc, etc, etc. Your mind is the limit pretty much. It is an industrial product that has not been really introduced to the automotive sceen really. I do know of a project for a wrecker that it will start logging time upon arrival, keep track of PTO hours, keep track of edditional charges, and report all this in a ticket for charching the customer. I kinda saw a short demo and it is not done. Really cool crap.

It would be a tech support nightmare if turned lose in the diesel automotive market. Techies and folks with some amount of programming could do ok but there is an enourmous amount of trial and error. They do offer programming classes which would be an absolute must for most folks. This class probably costs as much as a standard Attitude module already set up and ready to go....but that is what you have...a pre-programmed box you can't configure.

I'll make another demo video of the new, smaller display that I will be using in my 2009 once I get it all done. I am a little over half complete adjusting the images from 800x480 down to 480x272. GIMP is the bomb. I've learned to us it to make images with a transparent background so each image doesn't have a white square behind it. I learn something everyday in that software. And it is FREE!

So...who knows what tool will connect to the ECM diag plug? I am only getting coolant temp and RPM out of it. There has to be a way to tell the ECM which parameters to transmit. I was told the cummin's insight won't talk to it due to Dodge's dang software. What tool will hook up and talk? Anyone know?

Wow, im not too savy with this stuff. But this is very very neat. Would love to have that in my pos. Keep up the great work!

So who here has actually connected a Cummins Insite to a Dodge ECM? Anyone? Some say it can't be done....others say it can. Who's done it? How and can the ECM be unlocked to trasmit all parameters out via the 3 pin diag port, NOT the OBDII port?

Com'mon...someone in the world must know.

So who here has actually connected a Cummins Insite to a Dodge ECM? Anyone? Some say it can't be done....others say it can. Who's done it? How and can the ECM be unlocked to trasmit all parameters out via the 3 pin diag port, NOT the OBDII port?

Com'mon...someone in the world must know.

I've yet to see it done with Insite. So... I'll not believe it for now.

FWIW. I am open minded, so I'll remained tuned here if only just to bust on Jory if the opportunity is presented. LOL

:pop:

Nice ninja fast edit. LOL

I just don't get it....I don't get why it only transmits coolant temp and RPMs and nothing else. I think it is wickity wickity wickity wacked! Wires must be Kris Krossed.

I just chatted with a big truck ECM joint....they say it should connect. :bang Who knows. It is like NASA holds the info in Fort Knox.

Last edited:
"Well, I know that I have calibration codes for ISB engines, but we do not have calibration harnesses on them to hook up to an ECM. Insite should be able to hook up to ANY Cummins engine, no matter what truck manufacturer the engine is in. Insite can even read OBD codes. You may be able to try a Cummins/Dodge dealer to take a look at your ECM settings, but we are not equipped to do it. "

What I got from them.

Just playin' in Solidworks to make a platic insert that everything will mount to. Then it will simply set in the hole in the console. No drilling or mounting. My hopes are to get it made with 3D printing out of plastic, sand it, and paint it something cool.

1stDraft.jpg

For you folks with the same console, I could very easily modify the top face to accept ANY programmer to be mounted and have it printed and drop shipped to your door. It may take me a few revisions since I don't have a 3D model of the console, but I think I can get pretty close soon with tape measures and cardboard mockups.

Last edited:
Just playin' in Solidworks to make a platic insert that everything will mount to. Then it will simply set in the hole in the console. No drilling or mounting. My hopes are to get it made with 3D printing out of plastic, sand it, and paint it something cool.

1stDraft.jpg

For you folks with the same console, I could very easily modify the top face to accept ANY programmer to be mounted and have it printed and drop shipped to your door. It may take me a few revisions since I don't have a 3D model of the console, but I think I can get pretty close soon with tape measures and cardboard mockups.

Awesomeness!

I'd love to mount my monitor somewhere else and have some gauges on the pillar as well.

1stDraft.jpg

Pretty damn cool man! Might be able to make you some money on the side with this sort of thing...:rockwoot:

Alway check to make sure your tools will fit. Had to "modify" slightly. LOL

2ndDraft.jpg

I didn't notice it before you mentioned the tool fitting, but those switch pockets are sexy.

:)

Thanks. It will keep the from inadvertently being hit and the strobes going 'hot'! LOL

http://www.shapeways wants $584 to print it. :( I gots ta find a cheaper 3D printer.

Last edited:
Nice ninja fast edit. LOL

I just don't get it....I don't get why it only transmits coolant temp and RPMs and nothing else. I think it is wickity wickity wickity wacked! Wires must be Kris Krossed.

I just chatted with a big truck ECM joint....they say it should connect. :bang Who knows. It is like NASA holds the info in Fort Knox.

I recall that as a ECM fails it only will transmit fewer and fewer variables. The RPM's are the last ones to go away.

The CAN-C bus is good...the normal, to the dash, junk. I wonder if Dodge has a tool to hook to that port and check it out. It IS under warranty at this point. RPM is the highest resolution of any parameter. It seems like it would be the first to go....probably a priority on the bus thing.

Failing miserably at finding a place to print that console piece for a reasonable price. This sucks. I wonder if a chunk of wood and a dremel will work. :(

Last edited:
Back