EFILive Beta First Impressions

rpm

I read on the destroked site. Our Ecms will burn up at 4500.
Injection driver circuitry cant handle anything above that.
But peak power at 3600 would be just just fine for me.
Control over lockup & OD will also be a big help.
100 Map sensor controlling fueling .
Sorry, just starting to put my wish list together.
:thankyou2:

A wish list is great, this will help us acknowledge, fix, check off, and then move on to the next most important thing.

I personally would like to know every problem/complaint that the tuned Cummins owner has. This way we can look for the solutions together,

In terms of the ECM burning up at 4500 RPM.... you shouldnt believe everything you read.... some of it is just marketing :)

According to a very reliable source - much of the circuitry inside the Dodge ECM appears to be very much the same as what's been used in GM gas motors (and diesels as well) since the mid 90's..... I'm not positive, but i haven't heard of any cars frying their ECMs because they were turning 9000 RPMs...... but i could be wrong... A gas motor LIVES at high RPMs.....

There are sure to be obstacles, but from what i've been told from people peeling these ECMs apart is that the ECM itself isn't going to become faulty because of RPMs.... There may be some precision loss (for lack of a better term) as RPMs increase, but enough to notice or to make a difference at only 4500 RPM when the computer is already capable of controlling injector times down to the microsecond???

Time will tell the story for sure.... my guess is the ECM isn't going to be the limit on RPMs.... i think keeping everything together run after run at high RPM is going to be the bigger challenge... :)

I don't believe for a second that the stock ECM can't drive the injectors well over 5K. Just look how quick the timing is between a pilot shot and the main at 4K on a scope. The signal is perfectly clean at that RPM.

So even if you were firing only a main shot above that, the ECM could handle it easily.

Its going to come down to finding every table, every tag that is needed to do it, no easy task....but still awesome efi is looking into it.

I personally would like to know every problem/complaint that the tuned Cummins owner has. This way we can look for the solutions together,

Low boost smoke and low boost/load timing rattle are my 2 big beefs.

I'm not a big hp guy, a simple 375-400 hp tow tune is all I want, and I would like it to be smoke free under normal driving/towing.

It would also be nice for guys with stock turbo's or aftermarket turbo's that keep the solenoid to have control when the solenoid opens for boost limiting. That way your not just shutting off the WG on a HE351, your setting it a little higher but can still control boost and DP.

I don't believe for a second that the stock ECM can't drive the injectors well over 5K. Just look how quick the timing is between a pilot shot and the main at 4K on a scope. The signal is perfectly clean at that RPM.

So even if you were firing only a main shot above that, the ECM could handle it easily.

Its going to come down to finding every table, every tag that is needed to do it, no easy task....but still awesome efi is looking into it.

Wasn't Bean spinning his standalone over 6K??

How high could you spin yours if you wanted??

Chris

look guys 6000rpm out of a cummins is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever..... The d-maxes dont even have 6000 rpm yet and that softwrae has been out for years...

just sayin dont get your hopes up.:Cheer:

I love it when you post up about sh1t that you have no clue on.

Makes for great entertainment.

:pop:

A wish list is great, this will help us acknowledge, fix, check off, and then move on to the next most important thing.

Low boost smoke and low boost/load timing rattle are my 2 big beefs.

I'm not a big hp guy, a simple 375-400 hp tow tune is all I want, and I would like it to be smoke free under normal driving/towing.

It would also be nice for guys with stock turbo's or aftermarket turbo's that keep the solenoid to have control when the solenoid opens for boost limiting. That way your not just shutting off the WG on a HE351, your setting it a little higher but can still control boost and DP.

I would like to have a low smoke tow tune in that HP range as well. I know a lot is going to be done with the engine programming. TC lockup and shift point adjustments for the 48re based on load, RPM, and speed would be awesome if that is even possible. A T/H mode similar to the Ally would be nice. Right now all it seems like it does is lock the TC sooner and provide a downshift into 3rd followed by a TC lock on deceleration. Not much of a T/H mode IMHO.

I really like the way everything is looking so far. I can't wait to see what some of the higher HP guys are going to be able to do with this. :thankyou2:

I want a lope tune....

In a more serious note I would like to see some improvents on the items below.

A more linear throttle
No throttle hang
Bigger injector rattle
Low boost smoke
Spooling large chargers

I will think of some more

Last edited:
I would like to know a little bit more about the tuning aspect. Coming from someone that likes to try and do most stuff by themselves is it going to be possible for the end user to tune their own truck without extensive knowledge of diesel tuning. Or would understanding this be like trying to read German? Will there be base tunes to start from or something like that? I'm just trying to understand if this is something that I can do or if it be best to leave it to the professionals?

anyways aside from my nooby question thanks to all the efi live guys and tuners making this possible at all. Keep up the good work and look forward to the end product!

I would like to know a little bit more about the tuning aspect. Coming from someone that likes to try and do most stuff by themselves is it going to be possible for the end user to tune their own truck without extensive knowledge of diesel tuning. Or would understanding this be like trying to read German? Will there be base tunes to start from or something like that? I'm just trying to understand if this is something that I can do or if it be best to leave it to the professionals?

anyways aside from my nooby question thanks to all the efi live guys and tuners making this possible at all. Keep up the good work and look forward to the end product!

With Duramax stuff, most times you buy an EFI Live from a dealer it'll come with a tune. EFI really isn't that bad to learn, just gotta take baby steps and make small changes. Lots of guys with zero experience have been able to work up to tuning their own trucks. Thanks to tuners like McRat, Bobo, Rob and others out there who put some of their work on the web for people to see and learn from. Without speaking for EFIlive or the tuners, I would suspect Cummins tuning will follow in a lot of the footsteps the Duramax tuning community made.

Last edited:
I love it when you post up about sh1t that you have no clue on.

Makes for great entertainment.

:pop:

Well lets see, as of right now my d-max engine turns more RPM than any other CR engine....d-max or cummins.....

i think i have something to say about the subject....next please :eek:wned:

I would like to have a low smoke tow tune in that HP range as well. I know a lot is going to be done with the engine programming. TC lockup and shift point adjustments for the 48re based on load, RPM, and speed would be awesome if that is even possible. A T/H mode similar to the Ally would be nice. Right now all it seems like it does is lock the TC sooner and provide a downshift into 3rd followed by a TC lock on deceleration. Not much of a T/H mode IMHO.

I really like the way everything is looking so far. I can't wait to see what some of the higher HP guys are going to be able to do with this. :thankyou2:

Without a different VB, complete control will not happen in a 48RE....you might get some control, but it's not a fully electronic tranny like the Allison....now the 68RFE...it is:evil

Chris

Well lets see, as of right now my d-max engine turns more RPM than any other CR engine....d-max or cummins.....

Is this the same engine you "finally" got running?

Or the one you can't keep together for more than 6 months?

And you used :eek:wned: wrong.

what rpm are you running if you dont mind me asking wade?

Rob,

With EFI, I know we will be able to run sensors and transducers better then the OEM units for boost and rail pressure. I have also read that some dmax's run rail pressure transducers that will read beyond 26k and map sensors that will read beyond 40 psi, aftermarket of course.

My question is if for some of us if the investments in new sensors will be worth it or will the rescaled factory ones will be suffiient.

I know that 30K rail pressure transducers (up to 100K) are available and a map or boost pressure sensor for 230 psi (or for twins running 80 plus lbs of boost)would give us a bit more flexability and range beyond what the factory allow us to see.