EFILive Beta First Impressions

Hi to all, it's Ross here, one of the developers behind EFILive for the Cummins. I thought it would be best to jump in to this thread just to give an 'official' response.

Much of what we are reading over the last couple of pages in this thread is history repeating itself from the Duramax forums 4 or 5 years ago when EFILive announced support for them. They too had 'boxed' tunes available from many vendors, they stacked, they smoked badly and drove in a less than desirable manner. But they were told by the 'professional' tuners that is how it has to be.

I won't give a whole history lesson on what happened after that, but lets just say those same people who purchased EFILive back then to fix the tuning issues on their own trucks have gone on to become some of the most successful Duramax tuning companies out there today by proving it didn't have to be that way, and anyone with the desire to learn can turn a hobby in to a successful business just like they did.

We read about them all over the internet and in magazines, big horsepower Duramax's tuned with EFILive that drive as sedate as a stocker around town. We also read about the guys driving their truck to the track, towing a second vehicle and then racing both without changing their tune from towing to race and still having great success.

In just over a week of beta testing these same Duramax tuners have been able to tune the Cummins up to a 'safe for stock' horsepower level without the bad habits that Cummins owners have been putting up with. They almost seemed surprised how easy it was to fix these problems.

Once we have completed the Scantool part of the software for Cummins these tunes are only going to get better. Logging data, analysing the results and then applying the changes to the tuning maps is how great tunes are created, anyone that suggests otherwise has other motives for saying so.

Our Scantool will show as much information about what is happening with the ECM as it will tell us, we know we are going to be able to see the injection pulse times (for all three injections), commanded fuel rates, all sorts of data on rail pressure.

People also need to remember EFILive is not only about you tuning your own truck, it also opens up a whole new group of people to buy a tune from if you decide that trying to tune your own truck is not for you. For that group of truck owners, effectively you've gone from a choice of a handful of box tuners to a choice of many with a higher level of personalization and customization.

This will revolutionise tuning for the Cummins, no more excuses, it will be information overload to begin with, but already I am seeing some posts in this thread from people who are going to take this new opportunity as something very positive, which is exactly how it should be viewed.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross i am probably not the 1st or the last person that will tell you thank you for what your doing for our trucks lol i cant wait to be able to test efi to see if it fixes the 07 defuel issue and make my truck a little more driver friendly. thanks again

The Smarty has been great on my truck. But I am looking forward to killing the smoke and a linear throttle pedal.

so i know with the dmax they have been able to get some good MPG tunes. during your testing and such are you gonna try and see how big of a differance you can get out of a stock truck? before its all modified. it would just be cool to find out how wide the spectrum can be from good to big HP numbers all the way to good to big MPG changes.

and thank you for all the info and answering All of everyones questions. its a good change of pace.

so i know with the dmax they have been able to get some good MPG tunes. during your testing and such are you gonna try and see how big of a differance you can get out of a stock truck? before its all modified. it would just be cool to find out how wide the spectrum can be from good to big HP numbers all the way to good to big MPG changes.

and thank you for all the info and answering All of everyones questions. its a good change of pace.

I would ASSUME that, Rob has done that already if he is talking about tranny upgrades already. Now I am not speaking for Rob in the least, but from my tuning experience once you have built a large race tune or have a large tune to make a bassis off of, small tunes are quick and easy to make. The same way DSP switches are done you build a large race tune and dial it back for the smaller tunes on the switch.

I have to comment the way Rob is going about doing this is pertect, taking a stock truck to begin tuning smaller trans safe tunes, then slowly upgradeing and building the truck up as the tunes get bigger.

Rob are you expecting bigger gains to be possible with the Cummins tan the D-Max or will it be inline with eachother??? I know it is early the project just curious if you are seeing anything you like over the D-max

This is grand news, indeed!

I was very curious if we'd have this ability. Thanks for making it known, Zach.
(or is it Zack? LOL)

P.S. This is Chuck, if you didn't already know.

Chuck... i answered you on the other forum as well..... but here it is for everyone to see, hopefully ending any dispute of the ability OR the possibility of what i was stating....

Enjoy!

boost scaling table.png

:hehe::hehe: Chairs anyone?

fail at imagez

attachment.php

I'm curious will EFI Live be able to do any tuning for the electronically shifted transmissions?
Is it able to tune the Alison trans on the Dmax trucks?
I was wondering if it could work like the Electronic shift enhancers.
Or is the trans a totally separate computer system?

I have been testing the stock truck and have seen 2mpg increase from stock with nothing else changed(except tuning) on exact same 200 mile route to my hunting area. This is a nice running approx 80-100HP (estimated by my butt meter) tune that is quieter and smoother with some improved low end grunt.

Really too early to give good mpg and HP data as we are still missing a lot of things, but I'm really happy with the results so far.

Last edited:
We have had full electronic control over the allison for some time. Shift points, shift timing, TCC lock-up, etc. I think the 6.7 trucks will have control also, just not sure yet to what extent.

Next testing stage this weekend, is playing with the post and pilot and recording results for noise, egt, and mpg increase or decrease.

We have had full electronic control over the allison for some time. Shift points, shift timing, TCC lock-up, etc. I think the 6.7 trucks will have control also, just not sure yet to what extent.

what about line pressure adjustments...still to early to tell?