EFILive Beta First Impressions

So far just by turning off post injection and smoothing out the tables I've experienced a
Much smoother quieter running engine throughout the whole rpm band and picked up 3mpg.

Is this on the truck you bought Dan?

Post injection isn't active above any kind of light load. Using the overhead lie-o-meter isn't going to be the best indicator of mileage once you start fooling with the injector calibrations. The post is nice spooling, some might have noticed if you give it just a little too much throttle spool drops off, thats the post dropping off.

Post injection isn't active above any kind of light load. Using the overhead lie-o-meter isn't going to be the best indicator of mileage once you start fooling with the injector calibrations. The post is nice spooling, some might have noticed if you give it just a little too much throttle spool drops off, thats the post dropping off.

Why not increase the main P/W a few microseconds more than have a 3rd event....if were talking spool of course???

Is this on the truck you bought Dan?

Yup just picked it up today at 3pm today and had the first tune on it within an hour. lol. I really like the smoothness of how the truck runs now. Didn't give it anymore power or at least not much. I can already tell the stock clutch sucks. So I'll be ordering some goodies come Monday for her. Also too quiet for my taste with the stock exhaust. Have to change that too. :)

The mileage I am reading off the display at the moment, but will do some highway driving and compare the readings.

Without being able to log (and tell for sure), i can only tell you what i see in the post injection tables....

And from a stock tune perspective, i can say that i don't believe driving under most normal (non towing) operating conditions would shut off the post injection event other than normal acceleration from a stop.... It doesnt appear that it stays active (depending on the nature of the tune of course) above about 25% throttle - however at crusing / highway speeds i beleive post injection WOULD be active... So, in terms of an effect on mileage, i believe it could have a measurable impact on mileage. In terms of being the cause of melting pistons as someone else asked, i can't even speculate. I'm excited to start logging these trucks so the 'mystery' can be taken out of what they're actually doing.

In terms of noise, especially noise while cruising, i agree with Nick in that his truck seems much quieter (in terms of engine noise) to me...

So far i think there have been some big accomlishments on these trucks and what the 'normal' guy would hope to gain from his truck over what he's been able to have in the past...

Last edited:
It doesnt appear that it stays active (depending on the nature of the tune of course) above about 25% throttle - however at crusing / highway speeds i beleive post injection WOULD be active... So, in terms of an effect on mileage, i believe it could have a measurable impact on mileage.

It has long been speculated, that the lack of the post injection event is the reason for our 03/04 5.9's ability to achieve higher mpg's than the 04.5+ trucks. I know Marco was able to remove it, but with a negative affect.

Can hardly wait for you to start the work on the 03/04 CR's, Great work Guys, keep it up!

I will say one thing that I doubt anybody here will argue with. Once you get a good EFILIVE tune, you will fall in love with your ride all over again. I knwo once I got my current tune dialed in to where I wanted it and all of the offsets made, it runs quiter and smoother than stock did. Plus even with a stock wastegated turbo it responds like a gasser with virtually no lag with very little smoke(just an initial puff if I stomp it from an idle). EFILIVE is a REAL game changer by being able to dial in and make it how you want it, not just by having to accept what somebody else has deemed to be good enough for 90% of the trucks out there.

Why not increase the main P/W a few microseconds more than have a 3rd event....if were talking spool of course???

That late shot really translates to heat, think about it that is exactly what its for.....heating up the exhaust for emmisions. Retarding the timing somewhat does the same....but you still can't go that far out before it starts to run like crap. Using two events you can keep the main shot were you want and bring some heat in the end to spool (IF you need it).

Without being able to log (and tell for sure), i can only tell you what i see in the post injection tables....

And from a stock tune perspective, i can say that i don't believe driving under most normal (non towing) operating conditions would shut off the post injection event other than normal acceleration from a stop.... It doesnt appear that it stays active (depending on the nature of the tune of course) above about 25% throttle - however at crusing / highway speeds i beleive post injection WOULD be active... So, in terms of an effect on mileage, i believe it could have a measurable impact on mileage. In terms of being the cause of melting pistons as someone else asked, i can't even speculate. I'm excited to start logging these trucks so the 'mystery' can be taken out of what they're actually doing.

In terms of noise, especially noise while cruising, i agree with Nick in that his truck seems much quieter (in terms of engine noise) to me...

So far i think there have been some big accomlishments on these trucks and what the 'normal' guy would hope to gain from his truck over what he's been able to have in the past...

I watched my truck with a scope in real time driving, and if memory serves me right, the post is never active above ~1900-2000.....and only when the requested fuel mass is low. It was never active crusing unless maybe down a grade.

On the melting the post should NEVER be there under any kind of hard fueling.....BUT I did catch a log one time when it was -40 of a hard pull and the post was there. Tried 50 times after to duplicate it and never could.

It will be cool when you guys can log as well.....now if you could only tune in real time, watching the operating point on the table and tuning cell by cell is pretty sweet.

Post up some more tables if they are not classified :)

On the melting the post should NEVER be there under any kind of hard fueling.....BUT I did catch a log one time when it was -40 of a hard pull and the post was there. Tried 50 times after to duplicate it and never could.

Great. So that leads me to think mainly piston design, combined with virtually unknown tuning parameters.

Hopefully it'll be a thing of the past either way, not only using EFILive, but maybe leads to some changes in off the shelf tuners as well.

Didn't I see you're on one injection Joe? Good/bad for a daily driver? If it's possible with EFI of course...

One event gets old.....quite a bit louder for a DD. A pilot and a split main is so insanely quiet its hard to explain.....like just nothing under the hood way quieter than stock.

With EFI's logging at least if there was a meltdown (lets face it we all push it) having it logged will help educate.

QUOTE=Joesixpack;1363645]One event gets old.....quite a bit louder for a DD. A pilot and a split main is so insanely quiet its hard to explain.....like just nothing under the hood way quieter than stock.

With EFI's logging at least if there was a meltdown (lets face it we all push it) having it logged will help educate.[/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight... we can make a tune for a super quiet idle and 500hp econo/tow/race tune that runs smooth? :clap:

Not sure about a split main with efi.....but the rest no question. I guess running a stand alone I've got a head start with what the tune actually could be. Folks are going to be impressed, been a long time coming.

Yup just picked it up today at 3pm today and had the first tune on it within an hour. lol. I really like the smoothness of how the truck runs now. Didn't give it anymore power or at least not much. I can already tell the stock clutch sucks. So I'll be ordering some goodies come Monday for her. Also too quiet for my taste with the stock exhaust. Have to change that too. :)

The mileage I am reading off the display at the moment, but will do some highway driving and compare the readings.

I hand calcuated on an 200 mile repeated trip. As Joe said the stock monitor will not read properly after changing the fuel curve. I like to get a couple tanks of fuel through the truck/tune.

I have not noticed any difference driving or noise when playing with post, the post tables we have view of, show it could be on under heavy load. Again without logging there is a lot of guessing going on.

Last edited:
I hand calcuated on an 200 mile repeated trip. As Joe said the stock monitor will not read properly after changing the fuel curve. I like to get a couple tanks of fuel through the truck/tune.

I have not noticed any difference driving or noise when playing with post, the post tables we have view of, show it could be on under heavy load. Again without logging there is a lot of guessing going on.

Rob,

Does that table indicate post timing ATDC, or timing after main shot??

I'm trying to interpret that map...

And yes it very well indicates a post event under full load at high RPM= possible meltdown condition!!!

Here is just a portion of the tables we can adjust. Each one of the "bullets" can be opened up to have access to expanded tables.

Last edited: