EFILive Beta First Impressions

I know that the idle doesnt need to be bumped, but thats the point of having a system that the tuner can customize, as I like my engines to idle a little higher, whats the problem with that? And why the hell people want an engine to lope is beyond any rational thought to me.

Joe,

I've done some quick searching and I believe the PD (BEW) TDI's are single injection event and run at 26,000psi (or something along them lines) all the time. The BEW is significantly quieter then the ALH (PD vs VP injection).

What I'm getting at is, multiple events are not necessary what makes stuff quieter.

Last edited:
Joe,

I've done some quick searching and I believe the PD (BEW) TDI's are single injection event and run at 26,000psi (or something along them lines) all the time. The BEW is significantly quieter then the ALH (PD vs VP injection).

What I'm getting at is, multiple events are not necessary what makes stuff quieter.

You are right about VW tdi I have 2009 2.0 and 2001 tdi

iPhone: In for the ride; http:s985.photobucket.com/home/dzzlpwr/index

Joe,

I'll admit I have just about ZERO experience with the TDI's.....just going from what I read a while back was the BEW's are using a plunger/cylinder along with a solenoid that gives complete control over timing......so they could be retarding the timing somewhat to control noise.

Which brings me to what I've found was to quiet a single event down, without changing the initial start of injection or (timing), you can lower rail pressure to where you are spreading the single event out through more crank degrees.

More or less "filling the window". This quiets it considerably and in effect you are retarding the timing. (Lower pressure more duration).

BUT....at a cost of some atomization....(remember huge nozzles)...this is were the split main comes in.....Use two shots at higher pressure that are spaced out. Now you still have good atomization, very quiet combustion that is spread out.

At high rpm though, it really comes down to time, at that point I'm just down to one event, in an effort to get as much fuel in the injection window.

anymore videos from the beta testers?

Also when is this going to be released?

And what have the testers seen hp wise?

You are right about VW tdi I have 2009 2.0 and 2001 tdi

iPhone: In for the ride; http:s985.photobucket.com/home/dzzlpwr/index

The 09 is common rail. I'd expect that.

I'll admit I have just about ZERO experience with the TDI's.....just going from what I read a while back was the BEW's are using a plunger/cylinder along with a solenoid that gives complete control over timing......so they could be retarding the timing somewhat to control noise.

Which brings me to what I've found was to quiet a single event down, without changing the initial start of injection or (timing), you can lower rail pressure to where you are spreading the single event out through more crank degrees.

More or less "filling the window". This quiets it considerably and in effect you are retarding the timing. (Lower pressure more duration).

BUT....at a cost of some atomization....(remember huge nozzles)...this is were the split main comes in.....Use two shots at higher pressure that are spaced out. Now you still have good atomization, very quiet combustion that is spread out.

At high rpm though, it really comes down to time, at that point I'm just down to one event, in an effort to get as much fuel in the injection window.

Yeah, the PD's are unit injectors. I haven't put much effort into digging into them since I'm being forced to leave that TDI stock. :(.

In the higher RPM's with stock or larger injectors, the pilot can be changed to increase rail pressure and HP without effecting noise or drivability. Having control over the pulse and timing on all the events lets you fine tune for the application.

I'm waiting for data loging before I get on the rollers. I have the dyno time ready, but want to know what is going on instead of guessing.

attachment.php

I found this in one of my old posts.....

"Can't put that third event totally to rest........ thought I would load the STOCK software for a look see...

There it is full load 3000 rpm third event."

Stock3k.jpg

(Each full wave of the crank sensor is 6 degrees).

Of interest.....that was the one and only log that I was able to catch of a post event full load high rpm. Must of tried 50 times and not a chance, only thing I could think of was when I logged it it was crazy cold....-30 or so and maybe IAT or water temp triggered it.

Couldn't trigger the post with the boxed tune either......Interested to see if it had that part of the table zero'd.

Sure don't need that late fuel up there!

Also.... would like to see the rest of the post tables.

Last edited:
Wow, this is some pretty neat stuff. Almost makes me want to give up the simplicity and reliability of mechanical injection. Almost. I look forward to see where we are come summer time.

Post injection timing table, just one of them. This is how many degrees after TDC the post is injected.

Last edited:
Post injection timing table, just one of them. This is how many degrees after TDC the post is injected.

Ok, I'll bite.

Why does post fall off and build back up as your higher in RPM? I fail to see any logical reason why it would. My only assumption is the main injection falls of and for emissions reasons they are keeping things hot for the CAT.