EFILive Beta First Impressions

~15 degree's atdc is still contributing to combustion.......from what I've read in SAE research its a "clean up shot". Burns up soot thats left over from the main.

Whats of interest with a extended main, duration it will most likely cancel the post, as once the time between injections is too short, it will omit the next shot to protect against what a Bosch engineer described to me as a "block injection"......hit the next shot too close and the nozzle does not close and you get one huge shot.

Rob's right....until they are logging its hard to say for sure what is happening, as there are many coded tags that can omit conditions and change the output of the tables.

Ok so now my gears are turning. Can you adjust each cylinder/injector separate or what ever you set the timing at is what all 6 injectors will fire at ? Also is it possible to adjust for each gear too? I bring this up because I know the #6 piston is prone to melting so if its an air flow or fuel issue can it be corrected my changing just that once cylinder. And as far as having different setting for each gear it would be nice to have good power through the gears and have it drop off or whatever needs to be done to get the best highway mileage possible. I know it would prob be more time consuming then it might be worth.

Or would you be able to write a table so say that under 25% throttle you will be in mpg mode and anything over 25% throttle your table will then switch to table for more power. If the dmax can do this with an external switch why can't it be written into the table to switch at a preset load or throttle position.

Maybe I think too much. Sucks having ADD sometimes.

Interesting then why is it on late 05-07 without DPF. I can guess like the rest and say emissions and be done.

I would guess it's on 04.5-07's to keep the cat hot, as well as make power with lower combustion temps and pressures. I know that my EGT's will run 100-200* hotter with a cold motor, and I am not sure if its a split main, 3rd event, or retarded timing that does it, but I am pretty sure its to heat the cat when the motor is first started.

It will be nice for people to be able to tune for efficiency and power.

Mine runs 100* hotter at first start up when its cold but I thought it was due to the intake heater working.

Rob
Seems like things are progressing rapidly. :woohoo:
How about an Educated Guess as to when it will be ready for release.

Rob
Seems like things are progressing rapidly. :woohoo:
How about an Educated Guess as to when it will be ready for release.

I don't have any control over that, sorry. My guess is once the data logging is done and a few tables added, there will be a public beta release.

My guess is this month, just a guess though. Maybe we can have an over/under pool and give 10% off the V2 scan tool through ATP to the ones that guess correctly?

I don't have any control over that, sorry. My guess is once the data logging is done and a few tables added, there will be a public beta release.

My guess is this month, just a guess though. Maybe we can have an over/under pool and give 10% off the V2 scan tool through ATP to the ones that guess correctly?

lol :what: jkjkjkjk

Ok so now my gears are turning. Can you adjust each cylinder/injector separate or what ever you set the timing at is what all 6 injectors will fire at ? Also is it possible to adjust for each gear too? I bring this up because I know the #6 piston is prone to melting so if its an air flow or fuel issue can it be corrected my changing just that once cylinder. And as far as having different setting for each gear it would be nice to have good power through the gears and have it drop off or whatever needs to be done to get the best highway mileage possible. I know it would prob be more time consuming then it might be worth.

Or would you be able to write a table so say that under 25% throttle you will be in mpg mode and anything over 25% throttle your table will then switch to table for more power. If the dmax can do this with an external switch why can't it be written into the table to switch at a preset load or throttle position.

Maybe I think too much. Sucks having ADD sometimes.

Im not sure but I dont think it can do that with the 25% throttle thing.. I know in like a aem or autronic you can get the car into closed loop and open loop... but that is done with a 02 sensor.. since we dont have them I dont know how you would do it??

It's interesting that the 2004.5-2007 duramax with a cat has no post injection and the 7.5-2010 has post injection with dpf. On the 04.5-07, there are post events written in the code (most likely for the future dpf), but it is zero'd out. So the Dmax doesn't use post for CAT only.

Go back and look at your 06-07 stuff again buddy, it is there and it works. It is there for emissions to help with the cat burnoff.

Mine runs 100* hotter at first start up when its cold but I thought it was due to the intake heater working.

Mine does it all the way thru about 190* on the coolant, where the grids shut-off after 120-150 seconds or at 18 mph.

~15 degree's atdc is still contributing to combustion......Whats of interest with a extended main, duration it will most likely cancel the post...

so you mentioned in a previous posting that you had a 2 part injection event.

could this be replicated in EFI Live by using the pilot/main or main/post events and then remove one or the other?

Sounds like public release will be mid to late March. Then we'll move to the 6.7.

Mine does it all the way thru about 190* on the coolant, where the grids shut-off after 120-150 seconds or at 18 mph.

i would think the rich mixture and advanced timing during cold start is normal whether gas or diesel to bring it up to oper. temp quickly?

Im not sure but I dont think it can do that with the 25% throttle thing.. I know in like a aem or autronic you can get the car into closed loop and open loop... but that is done with a 02 sensor.. since we dont have them I dont know how you would do it??

Well it might not be able to work. I don't know the workings of all this yet. And prob never will. But from the outside looking in something as simple as reading off the throttle position sensor and once the voltage reaches a certain point the map would change. If an edge tuner can do it with a push button why can EFI do it all internal for you.

And the reason I ask about being able to tune each cylinder by it self is. Look at gas motors with coil packs that can control the timing of each cylinder and how much more power you can get out of a motor then one with just a set timing ( and I know its not a set timing the distributor will advance timing ) but you get my point.

Post isn't active on the LLY with cat. Post#1 is zero'd and isn't active on the LBZ, I know post#2 shows values, but never seen it active by logging, have you Mark?

Last edited:
Well it might not be able to work. I don't know the workings of all this yet....

i think the answer is that you wouldn't want to tune each cylinder differently, that would lead to some funky off-timing problems. ideally you would want them balanced.

tuning over the range by TPS exists in the Dmax tables, but you would ideally want multiple tunes for guys who drag race, mileage, tow & etc. one tune is not going to fit all circumstances.