EFILive Beta First Impressions

We've got a GM tech II and I still use EFI for 99% of scanning and data logging. $399.00 vs $3,800.00 and the choice is easy.

We have a Snap-on Modis...it's a good tool but the versatility and speed of EFI makes the Modis look like dinosaur technology. Modis updates cost alot of money considering we only use it for the big three diesels.

Last edited:
Hold the phone, so the "way around" the rpm at the moment is by say loading a "box" tune and using its high idle setpoint, and then modifying it with EFI.........I thought this was a sacrilegious act punishable by banishment from the sacred tuners guild........LOL
Actually, I think it was me that said it was bad news to modify a canned tune to use on your truck. I also said it is ok as long as you own the tuner. The problem comes in when a guy takes the tune, changes a couple of tables to fix any issues, gets it how he likes it, saves all the canned tuner tunes to his computer, and sells the tuner to someone else all the while still running the tweaked tunes and having all the other tunes saved. In my opinion, that is stealing and is wrong.

I'm curious if there's anyone with EFI Live who hasn't seen or messed with at least one boxed tune??
Not that is matters, but I haven't.

Okay i havnt seen that, i may have messed it, but can efi be changed on the fly, or is it even needed?

Can you have it tuned up and still get good mileage with it?

Okay i havnt seen that, i may have messed it, but can efi be changed on the fly, or is it even needed?

Can you have it tuned up and still get good mileage with it?

Man try and follow along here... The d-max has DSP2 and 5 ability and the EFI crew is working to see how much info the dodge ecm can store to determin if and how many tunes can be switch on the fly.

As for you economy question, I personally get my best mileage with my race tune, very seldom to I turn the dial down except when towing due to stock alli.

Actually, I think it was me that said it was bad news to modify a canned tune to use on your truck. I also said it is ok as long as you own the tuner. The problem comes in when a guy takes the tune, changes a couple of tables to fix any issues, gets it how he likes it, saves all the canned tuner tunes to his computer, and sells the tuner to someone else all the while still running the tweaked tunes and having all the other tunes saved. In my opinion, that is stealing and is wrong.

Not that is matters, but I haven't.

Not saying that I disagree with you at all here, but here is something else I have thought about. Why would it not be equally unethical to use GM or Dodge factory tuning as a base to make tunes off of? No doubt GM and Chrysler have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in developing the tunes for their engines.

Last edited:
Not saying that I disagree with you at all here, but here is something else I have thought about. Why would it not be equally unethical to use GM or Dodge factory tuning as a base to make tunes off of? No doubt GM and Chrysler have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in developing the tunes for their engines.

This has come up before on D-Max sites, but for the most part if you compare factory tune table to the like of Rob, McRat, BOBO and others there is very little similarity. I am NO pro tuner the biggest tune I have ever made was 125 clean tune and the table bear little resemblance to a factory table, with a few eceptions.

The factory tune is just being used as a starting point to build upon.

Last edited:
I know the end result is tables that are very different than stock tables, but they started with the stock tunes from GM as a base, right?. I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just sorting of playing devil's advocate I guess.

It is the GM tuning in my GM truck. I modify it to do what I want. It's a little different than modifying and using tunes from an aftermarket tuner. I suppose if I was building my own vehicle to sell, and I was downloading GM's tuning to run the ECM in the vehicle I was building, you would have a valid argument.

You guys forget that you OWN the truck, therefore you own the stock tune.

The box programmers are the ones that should be asked that stock tune modification question if anything.

:)

JoshH. If you pay for the Smarty, Bullydog etc. that product is yours to do with as you wish. Do you actually think the programmer companies would hold themselves to such a high standard? Homey don't think so. I feel as though the programmer companies have gotten their fair share of our money with a very subpar product, I for one will hold myself to no such standard. If the info is available I will use it. What would Bill Gates or Steve Jobs do?

JoshH. If you pay for the Smarty, Bullydog etc. that product is yours to do with as you wish. Do you actually think the programmer companies would hold themselves to such a high standard? Homey don't think so. I feel as though the programmer companies have gotten their fair share of our money with a very subpar product, I for one will hold myself to no such standard. If the info is available I will use it. What would Bill Gates or Steve Jobs do?

I have seen tunes by edge bullydog and quad and I am just not impressed with there tunes, I see NO reason to really even use there tunes to start off with. But that is me.

You're right. The product is yours to do with as you wish as long as you own it. As soon as you sell it, you no longer own it and, in my opinion, should no longer use the tunes. Personally, I don't care what anyone else does.