EFILive Beta First Impressions

Is all this real rail pressure tuning going to help eliminate the rail pressure hang too?

Working on that now. It will be fixed! I would never let my wife or kid ride in a truck that does this. How have you guys put up with crap like this over the years? I can't believe how risky and unsafe a truck that is built would be. My stock truck isn't even safe like this. The more rail psi you command, the worse the runaway feels.

Working on that now. It will be fixed! I would never let my wife or kid ride in a truck that does this. How have you guys put up with crap like this over the years? I can't believe how risky and unsafe a truck that is built would be. My stock truck isn't even safe like this. The more rail psi you command, the worse the runaway feels.

I here Ya,, CR live or die on rail Pressure..My 03 has the capacity to command rail Pressure at the turn os a Girlie knob (6 positions), the engine load drop 10-20% with 3-6k add pressure.Watch out on the bottom truck surges Bad, I had to replace trail gate and garage door.

with my current tuning my truck doesn't have that at all. just kept the rail pressure down and truck runs good doesn't get hung up

Little off topic but relevant:

If I bought a Dmax (LBZ) and had the tranny built by Garmon, exhaust , LP, etc...

What would it cost to have one of you "Bad A$$ EFI Live tuners" totally tune it with a 5 position switch with a stock, tow, performace, and two Fast tunes....???

I know nothing about what this stuff cost...

Oh, and with just the basic's...What would be the max (recomended) hp to be made with it?? (Safe from bending rods, or any common failures of dmax's)

I assume this prices will be similar for the Cummins too....right?

Last edited:

With a manual, just push the clutch in, let it rev come to a safe stop. It's worse with the manual Id imagine. If I let it pull one rpm past 3000 it will hang. It's even worse with dual pumps now. MP8 is off! I do not think auto's realize this is going on until they are done with the run.

Is there really a shift-defuel with this rail pressure hang? Well, the ECU may have commended it but it's not really happening.

With my dual pumps and running TNT-R with the MP-8 at 50% or greater(auto trans) it would hang real bad in town going 30 MPH of I was on the throttle and had to lift for any reason.It was down right scary at times.MP-8 has been off for a while now.

Little off topic but relevant:

If I bought a Dmax (LBZ) and had the tranny built by Garmon, exhaust , LP, etc...

What would it cost to have one of you "Bad A$$ EFI Live tuners" totally tune it with a 5 position switch with a stock, tow, performace, and two Fast tunes....???

I know nothing about what this stuff cost...

Oh, and with just the basic's...What would be the max (recomended) hp to be made with it?? (Safe from bending rods, or any common failures of dmax's)

I assume this prices will be similar for the Cummins too....right?

Just look at any of the dmax sites or pm Bobo or Rob for info.

Idahorob has his prices on his website for Dmax stuff.

EFI Live - Adrenaline Truck Performance

If you have everything and just want a tune from him, the price starts at ~$250. I think that price is pretty standard for Duramax tuning.

I'm not posting here to sell tuning, so please don't ask me to. Call Rob. He is a full time tuner, a site sponsor, and very good at tuning.

Last edited:
Load up some Smarty tunes and suck them out with EFI Live LOL Would love to see the timing and pedal map.

Just raised? I think it sure looks like that's a smarty TPS map posted in another thread based on our the truck drives... :) LOL

Actually thinking that the particular TPS map posted, best represented how Crazy Larry drove on my truck...before I burned the BD!!

Nevertheless, still interested to see what Smarty maps look like.

Actually thinking that the particular TPS map posted, best represented how Crazy Larry drove on my truck...before I burned the BD!!

Nevertheless, still interested to see what Smarty maps look like.

That TPS map is not a BULLY DOG map. We didn't tune that map in our customer based tunes or our Crazy Larry tunes. Only time that map has been modified by us is tune the race truck we have. And it was to pull fuel from the bottom end to get the charger lit.

That TPS map is not a BULLY DOG map. We didn't tune that map in our customer based tunes or our Crazy Larry tunes. Only time that map has been modified by us is tune the race truck we have. And it was to pull fuel from the bottom end to get the charger lit.

Never said that it was a actual BD map..just made a reference to how my truck felt while running CL.

When I logged TPS when dynoing CL, i noticed how aggressivly TPS ramped while applying the pedal...

Again, not saying anything to point fingers, but merely referncing my experiences with certian set-ups.

Never said that it was a actual BD map..just made a reference to how my truck felt while running CL.

When I logged TPS when dynoing CL, i noticed how aggressivly TPS ramped while applying the pedal...

Again, not saying anything to point fingers, but merely referncing my experiences with certian set-ups.

No problem, not trying to start anything. Just letting people know that is not our map. The reason you felt that in the Crazy Larry tuning was how aggressive we tuned the Injector Duration, and also some of the other maps. Also if you did the throttle sensitivity maps. Which was a not the TPS map but another fueling map that allowed more bottom end fueling.

What would it cost to have one of you "Bad A$$ EFI Live tuners" totally tune it with a 5 position switch with a stock, tow, performace, and two Fast tunes....????

David, I'm no expert, but I've been on some Dmax sites for awhile, and the impression I get is that your 5 tunes are modified versions of the main tune you load. So, if you have a "race" tune that's setup for the track and is good for 1k+hp, you can label it as tune 5 if you like, then you step that tune down for the various other tunes...

Whether there's an actual "stock" tune or not, I don't know.

If I'm wrong, please someone tell me, cause I've had the wrong idea in my head for awhile.

I'd be willing to bet there would be some raised eyebrows at that.....

It'll happen. I'll probably do it just so I can see what exactly my trucks been doing all these years. Good way to learn, see what it's doing, get an idea of what you like and don't, and change accordingly. Not fully "ripping" the Smarty tuning, but learning from it. If that makes sense?

I've had a chance to see how some of the big name boxed tuners work since I have a DMAX and EFILIVE. The ones I have seen don't really change the throttle base maps, but they do change the timing and pulsewidth tables to the point that it does the same thing. I won't disclose who's tunes I have been able to view, but will say they are one of the most suggested ones by most guys out there. Once I seen there tuning I was not surprised by so many people complain about them being so smoky. EFILIVE is an invaluable tool that has so many different ways of accomplishing your end goal. This is espescially helpful when building up switch on the fly tunes as you can make a base map that can have some slight changes to it and radically change how it works as a whole. I'm still curious to see if teh CUMMINS guys will learn from teh DMAX guys mistakes early on, or if there will be a TON of blown engines in the first year from it.

I've had a chance to see how some of the big name boxed tuners work since I have a DMAX and EFILIVE. The ones I have seen don't really change the throttle base maps, but they do change the timing and pulsewidth tables to the point that it does the same thing. I won't disclose who's tunes I have been able to view, but will say they are one of the most suggested ones by most guys out there. Once I seen there tuning I was not surprised by so many people complain about them being so smoky. EFILIVE is an invaluable tool that has so many different ways of accomplishing your end goal. This is espescially helpful when building up switch on the fly tunes as you can make a base map that can have some slight changes to it and radically change how it works as a whole. I'm still curious to see if teh CUMMINS guys will learn from teh DMAX guys mistakes early on, or if there will be a TON of blown engines in the first year from it.

im betting there will be a lot of blown engines!

i've seen a few of the Cummins 'boxed' tunes now and i've seen a pile of the boxed tunes for the Dmaxes.... I have to agree with what has already been said - there are definite tunes that once viewed make perfect sense as to why the trucks behaved the way they did.

Some guys like what the boxes do, and in the Cummins world so far - you guys have been mostly having to run whatever you could find to stack or match with your foolers, pressure boxes etc. Most times in my observations while these combinations can attain big dyno numbers, make the truck smoke like a coal fire, and a few other neat tricks - the reality is the trucks have been limited in their purpose until tunes were changed to something else more 'driveable', etc.... This is the reason i'm excited for the Dodge community to get EFI.

On the blown motor subject - i have to agree that there will likely be a pile of rubble at the end of the year because of people wanting 'more' out of their trucks.... One of the 5.9s in my group already wants more (been running big boxed tune on a stock motor, no studs, and twin turbos for a over a year).... and i'm trying to calm him down and make him appreciate that now his turbos spool at 1500 when he stabs it instead of gagging and puking like it's missing a couple a cylinders. He loves it, but wants more out of it and when things are released, he'll probably try to get it...

I know the Cummins can take abuse - but i think we'll start finding the weak points just like we've been doing with our Dmaxes for the past several years....

Back