EFILive Beta First Impressions

It oughta be interesting to start hearing about rod shortening tunes for the CUMMINS now. Or seeing pistons cracking at the wrist pins. Heads being lifted because of no studs, and all the other wonders that can happen from tunes that are to aggressive down low. Thankfully I learned from others before I diid any of these things to mine and learned how to tune thanks largely in part to Trent helping me understand EFILIVE. It should be interesting in a year to see the carnage.

I'm still not certain why everyone keeps talking about carnage with efilive. We have been stacking box upon box for years and watching carnage! now we are going to actually be able to SEE what is happening and you guys expect carnage? WTF did I miss?
I don't remember the dmax guys blowing up motors left and right when efi was released, other then finding the weak points of the bottom end. Sorry, but the cummins is not a duramax. It is possible to go hog wild and blow a motor up, but then I guess you should not have been the one tuning your motor.

Last edited:
man I just want fuel past 3200 rpm, turbos get going and then the fuel pulls out grrr. and I 2nd a cummins is not a d-max, but i'm sure there be thoes guys that try to hit 1000hp on a stock motor and put a rod though there block and say efi killed my motor.

There was a bit of carnage, but not more so than the boxed tuners IMHO. I've got a LBZ Stock turbo engine in my shop with a cracked piston that was running a box tuner and then as per recommended by that company, the dual cp3's are a must for running the big tunes.

Do things in stages. If we can keep a stock duramax long block running for many years at 650+hp, then I think the Cummins will be fine.

There was a bit of carnage, but not more so than the boxed tuners IMHO. I've got a LBZ Stock turbo engine in my shop with a cracked piston that was running a box tuner and then as per recommended by that company, the dual cp3's are a must for running the big tunes.

Do things in stages. If we can keep a stock duramax long block running for many years at 650+hp, then I think the Cummins will be fine.

Stock cummins short blocks from 03-07 can handle 1000+hp. the 6.7 well that another story.....closer to 700hp with out issue's, but thats the nature of a stroker engine.

I don't think anyone said or is saying that the cummins can't take big HP tunes. Its the guy who thinks he knows what he's doing and jacks his timing ad injection cycle and. Says look how cool is sounds it lopes now. And then boom. So its not the motor that's weak. Its gonna boil down you how weak your knowledge is about what your doing. I have been around efi tuning via friends imports. And a dumba** with a laptop can really mess up an engine fast. I really think a lot of people can't wrap there head around what this really is. I can't wait to be able to tune my own truck. Gonna be some long hours at the dyno. But I can't wait I had lurked in the backround of efi for a few years now. Now I can finally have my fun with it too.

Like a knife or a gun, it's a tool that can be used correctly with some training. In the untrained hands can be deadly.

I don't see a bunch of carnage coming down the pipe either. Now that those pushing it can actually quantify something as simple as timing! Look how far they have gone, and most can't even tell you how much timing they are running! Just a number on a box....crazy.

People have been melting pistons, compressing rods, cracking pistons, blowing head gaskets, breaking cranks, dropping valve seats (my personal favorite), and cracking blocks. How much worse can it get?

Will we have carnage? Well of course, what fun would it be without a little breakage. Where would Big Swole, or Dockboy be today if they had never broken anything? LOL

For you guys that have been saying that we will now see carnage with the Cummins, you have not been paying attention. Not only can we blow stuff up, we can do it with style!

Paul

Like a knife or a gun, it's a tool that can be used correctly with some training. In the untrained hands can be deadly.

I couldn't agree more. That is a perfect way of putting it.

And like another said your right I don't know what my timing is at but I'm not privy to that info nor does it matter cause I can only change it to what the box programmer says. So EFI would is a gift from above cause soon I will be able to do what works best for MY truck and MY driving style.

I can't wait. Now I have 2 trucks an 06 and. 05 the 05 is mine and the 06 is my wifes/my old truck. Now. When this is released and I get the blue box and still use it on the 06 since its CAN and then when the beta is done for the 05 just switch it over to my 05

It oughta be interesting to start hearing about rod shortening tunes for the CUMMINS now. Or seeing pistons cracking at the wrist pins. Heads being lifted because of no studs, and all the other wonders that can happen from tunes that are to aggressive down low. Thankfully I learned from others before I diid any of these things to mine and learned how to tune thanks largely in part to Trent helping me understand EFILIVE. It should be interesting in a year to see the carnage.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Did you know that EFI was developed by some of the most respected names in the Duramax community with 0 tuning tutorials? Im pretty sure we all did it without knowing who Trent was either. Those beta testers taught themselves how the software functioned and added parameters wherever possible. This was late 2005-early 2006. There were no aftermarket rods, twin cp3 kits, fancy cams or heads available. Nothing. In 2006, EFI Live came to market along with many other performance hard parts. While you and Trent were playing video games, there were many of us spending 10's of thousands of dollars on hard parts to see what our trucks could do. The first person to be blamed on a failure was the EFI tuner. Box tuner companies and companies doing custom tuning in house knew the threat of EFI software to their business, so they wanted to bash it. A failure happened, "Must be the idiot using EFI Live that caused it." Companies selling high dollar hard parts with little to no testing completed on those parts used tuners as scape goats so they didnt have to make good on selling junk parts. Fast forward a year. Diesel shops coming out of the woodwork to make a buck from every swinging dick driving a diesel truck. Once again, **** breaks and it's the tuners fault. Now 5 years later, we are still talking about EFI tuners breaking stuff? Get real. If your EFI Live tuner isn't trusted enough for you to think he isn't going to blow your truck up, then don't use the damn tuner. And to add insult to injury, has anyone seen what is used to make power on these Cummins CR motors as of now? If stacking boxes with little to no data logging is safe, then letting Bubba at the truck stop EFI Live tune your truck will be safe too.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Did you know that EFI was developed by some of the most respected names in the Duramax community with 0 tuning tutorials? Im pretty sure we all did it without knowing who Trent was either. Those beta testers taught themselves how the software functioned and added parameters wherever possible. This was late 2005-early 2006. There were no aftermarket rods, twin cp3 kits, fancy cams or heads available. Nothing. In 2006, EFI Live came to market along with many other performance hard parts. While you and Trent were playing video games, there were many of us spending 10's of thousands of dollars on hard parts to see what our trucks could do. The first person to be blamed on a failure was the EFI tuner. Box tuner companies and companies doing custom tuning in house knew the threat of EFI software to their business, so they wanted to bash it. A failure happened, "Must be the idiot using EFI Live that caused it." Companies selling high dollar hard parts with little to no testing completed on those parts used tuners as scape goats so they didnt have to make good on selling junk parts. Fast forward a year. Diesel shops coming out of the woodwork to make a buck from every swinging dick driving a diesel truck. Once again, **** breaks and it's the tuners fault. Now 5 years later, we are still talking about EFI tuners breaking stuff? Get real. If your EFI Live tuner isn't trusted enough for you to think he isn't going to blow your truck up, then don't use the damn tuner. And to add insult to injury, has anyone seen what is used to make power on these Cummins CR motors as of now? If stacking boxes with little to no data logging is safe, then letting Bubba at the truck stop EFI Live tune your truck will be safe too.

:thankyou2:

The Cummins can take some abuse...look at all the VERY POORLY tuned 12v still running. Just becasue you can max out some tables doesn't mean the engine will automatically explode...chances are it won't run good enough to hurt itself. Not knocking the Duramax, but I'm pretty sure anyone will agree that stock for stock, they are a weaker design...modified, maybe not...but the Cummins will take some serious bad tuning and still live...

Use some common sense...it's not like you can do any more damage than what the box/programmer/stack guys are doing now anyway....I mean someone designed STEEL pistons so people couldn't melt them!!!

Chris

My truck is a early 05, I also have a new spare ecm from 05 or 06.
How can I tell by # on it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Perfectly said...and wait for the fall out to come, because it will.

Like many people, I have spent a few thousand on various tuners only to sell them at a loss for something that was only a patch, did not work together with other boxes, or was flat out dangerous. I have almost 100k on my truck making north of 600 hp for the last 80k because I have tried to be as careful as possible with my motor. EFIlive will let me do what I want without the cost of 3 NEW sets or injectors because of pressure boxes.

I have been a big fan of the smarty, I will still recommend them for the average person, but once this it out....lets just say many smarty's will be for sale.

Last edited:
All I know is efi live for the cummins is a gift from above. And I have to wait a bit longer to get it for my truck. But that will give me time to save my pennies. Maybe the wife will have to get her another job. That would go over like a fart in church.

Idaho Rob

I wanted to know if you could answer this post for me. It is mine.

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together - View Single Post - EFILive Beta First Impressions

Thanks!!!

Totally different. The software works the same, but the tables are different. do totally different things. There are still reference tables, but those are nothing alike. Think about what fires a diesel and what fires a gas engine and how that is controlled.

You can look at a Dmax tune and then a gas tune by downloading the software free at EFILive Web Site and see the differences.

Last edited:
Back