EFILive Beta First Impressions

:thankyou2:

The Cummins can take some abuse...look at all the VERY POORLY tuned 12v still running. Just becasue you can max out some tables doesn't mean the engine will automatically explode...chances are it won't run good enough to hurt itself. Not knocking the Duramax, but I'm pretty sure anyone will agree that stock for stock, they are a weaker design...modified, maybe not...but the Cummins will take some serious bad tuning and still live...

Use some common sense...it's not like you can do any more damage than what the box/programmer/stack guys are doing now anyway....I mean someone designed STEEL pistons so people couldn't melt them!!!

Chris

You got a good point there with the 12v's. :hehe:

You will have the crowds that want to just see how far they can go till something give, then others who will end up setting up a place to mount their laptop in their truck because they will be trying to fine tune every last bit... All this is so new to me, I'm just now catching on to gas engine tuning things, I guess while I'm in the learning curve I may as well try to learn something I would use way more.

On a side note; my dad was reading the thread last night about people saying engines are going to blow and all. He told me he knew a guy who had an old 5.7 diesel in a 79 chevy that ran like crap. He was tired of working on it and dealing with the dealer. So being it was under warranty he cranked it up and set a brick on the accelerator figuring he would just blow it up. It sat there and bounced off the govoner for a good 20 min, the guy came out and it was puffing smoke out the pipes but still running. He couldn't believe it, took the brick off and drove it. Said it never ran better... Back on subject.

I've never seen the software personally....never had a reason to.
Is it something a person familiar with Big Stuff 3 will easily adapt to?
I do know my way around that.

All I wanna know is, can I make my odometer say "Yodertuned!" or some other cool chit like all the duramax guys have? I don't even care about the tables... LOL

BTW, '03-04 5.9 > 6.7 Do it first, please.?

Actually the D-max trucks only say that while being tuned... When the V-2 is unhooked the message goes away.

All I wanna know is, can I make my odometer say "Yodertuned!" or some other cool chit like all the duramax guys have? I don't even care about the tables... LOL

BTW, '03-04 5.9 > 6.7 Do it first, please.?

i have to agree 03-04 first cmon those 6.7 liter guys are just posers anyway!

but efilive will be the Bees knees when it comes out a little practice and these trucks will run like thye have never b4

also wondering will this read DTC's like the smarty does and be able to clear them? id imagine it has to. prolly a dumb question and will get scolded for asking that

also wondering will this read DTC's like the smarty does and be able to clear them? id imagine it has to. prolly a dumb question and will get scolded for asking that

IMO for a new product the only dumb question is thinking that question and never asking it.

Yes, EFILive will read and clear codes.

Cheers
Cindy

Posers, posers:blahblah1::poke::hehe: hey we want new toys toobif. Cant wait to get EFI Live. would Love to oppourtunity to Beta test stuff.

EFI Live a question for you. with the 6.7 is the goal or intent to make it Emissions friendly and or Deleted. If deleted is it going to be Code free deletes Like Smarty and H&S or is it going to be more like the Edge that just clear the codes on start up?

Last edited:
i know i asked this once but i dont think it was answered. so you said its gonna be a blue V2 for the 03-05 trucks. now will that same blue V2 work for the 06-07 guys too? i have 2 trucks an 06 and an 05. the 05 is my truck but someday might take my 06 back from my wife and dont want to have to buy something twice if i dont have to.

pretty sure i understood it right when he was talking about it a few post back. The blue one will have the hardware for the 06 and up trucks (canbus)but is getting some additional hardware that will alow it to do the 03-05 trucks as well. So pretty sure the blue one once all the software is released will do the 03 and up trucks

Totally different. The software works the same, but the tables are different. do totally different things. There are still reference tables, but those are nothing alike. Think about what fires a diesel and what fires a gas engine and how that is controlled.

You can look at a Dmax tune and then a gas tune by downloading the software free at EFILive Web Site and see the differences.

Yep..I see what you mean. I spent the weekend playing with the dmax stuff on EFI. No ignition tables...LOL. Actually, the diesel stuff looks easier so it should me no problem for me to learn it.

The fuel pressure vs injection timing and pulse will be were I need to focus. Trust me, I will be giving you a call when this is released.

Blue V2 will do Dmax and 03-09+ Cummins with software upgrades. Black one can do 06+ Cummins and all Dmax's

This just keeps gettin better and better, im ready to play as soon as i get my other pump from John, Keep up the great work guys!

Go to bed Buck.... its late!:lolly:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Did you know that EFI was developed by some of the most respected names in the Duramax community with 0 tuning tutorials? Im pretty sure we all did it without knowing who Trent was either. Those beta testers taught themselves how the software functioned and added parameters wherever possible. This was late 2005-early 2006. There were no aftermarket rods, twin cp3 kits, fancy cams or heads available. Nothing. In 2006, EFI Live came to market along with many other performance hard parts. While you and Trent were playing video games, there were many of us spending 10's of thousands of dollars on hard parts to see what our trucks could do. The first person to be blamed on a failure was the EFI tuner. Box tuner companies and companies doing custom tuning in house knew the threat of EFI software to their business, so they wanted to bash it. A failure happened, "Must be the idiot using EFI Live that caused it." Companies selling high dollar hard parts with little to no testing completed on those parts used tuners as scape goats so they didnt have to make good on selling junk parts. Fast forward a year. Diesel shops coming out of the woodwork to make a buck from every swinging dick driving a diesel truck. Once again, **** breaks and it's the tuners fault. Now 5 years later, we are still talking about EFI tuners breaking stuff? Get real. If your EFI Live tuner isn't trusted enough for you to think he isn't going to blow your truck up, then don't use the damn tuner. And to add insult to injury, has anyone seen what is used to make power on these Cummins CR motors as of now? If stacking boxes with little to no data logging is safe, then letting Bubba at the truck stop EFI Live tune your truck will be safe too.

I know who the guys were that developed EFILIVE for the DMAX early on, and I realize that it was a new product with no tutorials to fall back on to describe what did what. I was simply asking if the CUMMINS guys would fall back on what the DMAX guys have learned or if there would be alot of people trying to push the envelope and pay the price. And I never said I was a tuner, I was simply trying to show my appreciation for somebody who helped me to understand it when the company I bought it from wouldn't send me the tune he promised me, or even return a phone call when I would call to see what was going on. There are a large number of people out there who tune there own engines, so these are the people I expect to see the learning curve from. I know I have seen some DMAX's with built engines crack pistons and break cranks from having tunes set-up wrong, just wondering how much of this will be seen from the CUMMINS scene once EFILIVE becomes available to them.

Bobo and I ran some tune testing today on the throttle "hang" problem when these common rails are turned up. We have found some interesting stuff, but need to check the results on another truck and finalize. Things are coming together.

Good to hear things are coming together for the Cummins. Have a lot of Dodges here in Ar that need tunes Rob!!! Hope fully they will get DSP2 and DSP5 switches!!

Posers, posers:blahblah1::poke::hehe: hey we want new toys toobif. Cant wait to get EFI Live. would Love to oppourtunity to Beta test stuff.

EFI Live a question for you. with the 6.7 is the goal or intent to make it Emissions friendly and or Deleted. If deleted is it going to be Code free deletes Like Smarty and H&S or is it going to be more like the Edge that just clear the codes on start up?
EFILive isn't a tuner like the Smarty or H&S. It is a tuning software that allows you (or the person you purchase your tunes from) to be able to make the truck do just about anything you want. The tunes can be made to retain all emissions equipment or get rid of everything without throwing codes, and it can be done at power levels from well below stock to the maximum your truck is capable of.

wow.... what an interesting read! (subscribed even though it looks like a while for me)

I *really* think that only about half the people out there right now actually understand what this is all about... maybe they're soooo used to another "programmer" with "pre-mapped tunes" and can't even COMPREHEND how outside the box this one is... LOL

as a sidenote, if you missed someone mentioning it a few pages ago.... check out the "tags" on the bottom of the page... LMAO!

Last edited:
Bobo and I ran some tune testing today on the throttle "hang" problem when these common rails are turned up. We have found some interesting stuff, but need to check the results on another truck and finalize. Things are coming together.

Any chance you can post more screenshots??

All of this info is awesome!!!!:evil:evil

Back