EFILive Beta First Impressions

:clap:

JasonC, if you want to ask Marco those questions yourself... Rumor is, He will be at our SS race in FL later this month!!

Not going to happen, I'm so busy recently it took me a month to finally ship a tdi cable to Billy! My poor trucks been parked and I have new parts just stitting there. :(

Few of the many tables we have control over.

Fuel Pressure tables
Post and Pilot Injection
Timing Tables

Last edited:
There are many, many more tables we have to play with. There are many more EFI is hunting for, but we have enough to keep us busy at the moment. The efi crew is now working on the data logging that we need to make sure which tables are limited and which are listening to our changes.

Few of the many tables we have control over.

Fuel Pressure tables
Post and Pilot Injection
Timing Tables

There are many, many more tables we have to play with. There are many more EFI is hunting for, but we have enough to keep us busy at the moment. The efi crew is now working on the data logging that we need to make sure which tables are limited and which are listening to our changes.

This is exactly what I'm interested in!!!

Whatever your comfortable throwing on here would be awesome!!!

I am like a sponge right now!!!

Thanks
Les

The truck I've been testing on is a Regular Cab/ Short bed truck with a custom built 4-Link and an DTT Full billet trans that has been supplied to me for the purpose of this test by Randall's Performance out of Gladstone Il. Big thanks to those guys! The engine is totally stock, stock injector, stock turbo, stock stock. (For now :))

The first image is a box style timing map. It's shape and rough inconsistencies are very similar to the stock map.
Rough_Timing_Table.jpg

This image is a timing table that I built for the truck using EFILive. Notice how smooth the transitions are. This translates into smoother driving experience and less drama during throttle transitions.
SmoothedTimingTable-1.jpg

Take care,

Nick Priegnitz

First, glad to see Allen's old truck in good hands. It deserves the red carpet treatment you're giving it! :)

I understand a smoothed map is better and less abrupt, but the ECM is just using these tables to interpolate data, right? If so, it's smoothing the values at runtime. Now I can see in the second example where setting the RP abruptly to max is harder to interpolate, but it still would do it to some extent. Does small amout of smoothing in the first table make a driveability difference on its own or is it the combination of all the changed tables?

Last edited:
The ECM isn't smoothing during runtime, its following the table to a tee, following the same graph we are seeing.

Wasn't hard to see the famous "Rattle" between the rail pressure table and light load advance on the timing table that Rob posted.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Injector conversion table....(stock of course). Whats a smarty? Man what a home run.

Last edited:
So once flash is complete and MIL stops flashing, turn key off for 6sec then ECM flash is complete??

Very nice!!!

No. Once the countdown timer appears, shut key off for 10 sec and it's done. I was being careful in that vid because it was the first flash with new software. I tested it 4 times with immediate key off and starting the timer, no problems.

I've tried to kill an ECM and EFI recovers it. So far, no dead ECM's.

I hate to jump the gun on this as I know there is a lot to be done yet....but, is there a possibility of a roadrunner ecm for the dodges?

Last edited:
As far as I know, they don't even have any Roadrunner ECMs out for any Duramaxes other than the LB7 and those aren't very common. Actually, I think they quit making them. I guess it's really up to Moates as to whether or not they're intersted in expanding into the Cummins market.

I hate to jump the gun on this as I know there is a lot to be done yet....but, is there a possibility of a roadrunner ecm for the dodges?

Just went to their websote, and have no idea what they're talking about?

What does a roadrunner ECM do/allow?

Just went to their websote, and have no idea what they're talking about?

What does a roadrunner ECM do/allow?

Real time tuning while the engine is running. You can be driving down the road with the laptop hooked up and tune the engine without stopping to flash in a new tune.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is going to help minimize melt downs on the non reentrant pistons in the 04.5-07's? Guess Im wondering is it really a bad piston design or has it been bad tuning causing it. What are the dmax pistons similar to? Reentrant or non?

So then could you post a rough calculation of total injector timing and total pulsewidth for say 30-40mm3 at 2000rpm??

I'm curious as to HOW much actual timing is present between pilot, main and post injection events and total pulsewidth with pilot, main and post events at that given rpm.
From what I can read with your above tables...it looks like a lot.

Without factoring in pilot,post timing...at 2krpms and 30-40mm3, im running almost 29* of main timing and 19,000+/- of RP.....on stock SW of course.

Am I reding this corretly???

So then could you post a rough calculation of total injector timing and total pulsewidth for say 30-40mm3 at 2000rpm??

I'm curious as to HOW much actual timing is present between pilot, main and post injection events and total pulsewidth with pilot, main and post events at that given rpm.
From what I can read with your above tables...it looks like a lot.

Without factoring in pilot,post timing...at 2krpms and 30-40mm3, im running almost 29* of main timing and 19,000+/- of RP.....on stock SW of course.

Am I reding this corretly???

When we data log it, we will know more. Don't assume those tables are being followed.

Gang,
altough this is an EFI live thread, my name and my product have been mentioned several times in here, I feel it's time to chime in. Not trying to bash or start word wars, someone mentioned a Gentleman agreement, let's stick with this.

First of all, reading through this thread it sounds like all "caned" downloader's software's are so bad.... Let me just say this, the fact that I'm still arround in the diesel brotherhood should tell you something. I'm not saying that my product is perfect but it has and does serve a lot of customers well.

Let's analyze the pros and cons of a software vs a downloader.
Which are the goals of each product?

1) Downloader: serve the broadest range possible of customers. Obvious, with a one size fits all software you can not make happy everybody. That's the reason my toys have several power levels and I offer several different software's. Still, I can not meet ALL expetations, YET.

2) Software like EFI : The main point I guess is to allow the end customer to tune his own truck. Data logging. I guess I'll miss a few points here since I have never worked with EFI. I don't feel they're very important right now.

Let me stay on the main thing and the reason for me chiming in : tune your own truck. The concept sounds great but.... in the real world what makes you believe that you can do that? OK, "do it" may be simple but do it AND getting the desired results are two different stories. Reading this thread makes it sound as it was easy & simple but the reality is a bit different.

I'm as maniac as possible when I write the tunes for the Smarty. Let me just mention that ( for example ) I did around 1000 dyno runs to R&D the SSR.
That's just to find out what works and what not. Then fine tune everything, then verify the work. Keep in mind, I'm working on the Cummins tuning only since '99. I have gathered some experience and knowledge over time. Still, to really fine tune let's say a timing curve that WORKS still takes several hundred dyno runs for JUST the timing.... Is that timing right for all? Nope!

The point I want to get to is, the software is only as good as the guy sitting in front of the computer using it and the time he can dedicate to it . Don't get me wrong! I'm not trying to say that I'm the only one that knows how to tune a diesel engine. Anyhow, you can take for granted that I know more about the diesel tuning than 99.9% of the possible end customers of this software.

To come to the point of " tune your own truck " I'm sorry that's not going to happen with the expected/hoped results for most.

OK, now what?

Yeah, get the tune from that other guy who's truck is running great! OPS, mission is missed. At this point the truck still get's a software that was not written for it. We're back to the canned software level.

OK, there's the way. Go to*THE* tuner in the knows and have him tune your truck. Again, the mission is missed but this time it's missed twice.
First of all, you still have not tuned your own truck. Secondly, I have seen a mention in this thread of 250 bucks to tune a truck. C'mon...Real World.
Let's say that tuner has a good base software to start from. Something that works on " most " trucks that he then refines for the truck he's working on.

OK?

Well, from my experience then farther away from stock condition the truck is, then more time it requires to dial in that truck. Something that matches the truck 80% takes not less than a full day on the dyno. Then closer the match has to be then more time required. When I play with trucks to fine tune them here, I start out with at least 3 days. At that point we're maybe close to a 90% match. All that for 250 bucks?.....

I think my point is clear at this point.

Data log : nice! Really? What about the RP sensr that's slow to respond and maxes out at 27K? The MAP sensor(s) max out anywhere between 34 -38 PSI. What data are you logging from them?

OK, I quit it here.
Sorry for the long read and thanks for listening!

Marco

Marco

Thank you Sir!! Hope to meet you in FL Marco!!

David

Last edited:
Back