fastest with just a tune??

So the point of this thread is that a 6.4 can run a big tune with a stock trans? It's 2008 all over again.:banghead: But here are some results; at obx in 09 I had a stock trans lb7 that limped at 473 HP on dunbars dyno. Next in line was a 6.4 who parked in the way and started loading his tune. Talking to the owner for that half an hour, I found out he also had a stock trans. He proceeded to make 580 rwhp. Later that day I was running 8.2x to his 8.8x. Sorry about the 1/8th times, but you gotta run what the track is.

I like that the duramax is underestimated. It makes it even sweeter when I puff the all mighty 6.4 on the streets. And hell, I don't even have an intake elbow! Lol. I don't blame u guys for defending the 6.4 though, it's the best motor that's been in a ford truck. Too bad it only lasted 3 years. And how the heck can u run a tuned 6.4 with the dpf intact? My brother tried to run his lmm for like one day tuned waiting on exhaust and it wasn't happy at all.

I did, because I didnt at that point have a tuner that would let me eliminate it. Now I do, I have the SCT tuner and have removed the dpf and egr now.

2f037576.jpg

:clap:

Awesome...

Do ANY of you still drive " A stock truck with only a tuner "?

lol

Sort of. My 01 DURAMAX engine is basically stock except for a mild EFILIVE tune, AFE stage 1 replacement intake(stock airbox wouldn't fit under the hood), and a catback style exhaust. My trans is built, but that was mainly because I didn't want to have to do it down teh road in case I decided to bump the HP way up. And it aint no featherweight either weighing in right at 7,000 pounds empty with a full tank of diesel. Not all of us need a heavily modded rig. Then again, my origanal 6.5 is colecting dust in the shop, so in that sense it is pretty heavily modified.

not sure why a trans would be in this convo. that takes the standard tuner/intake/exhaust convo and blows it out of the water. that triples the total cost invested in the first sentence. i have raced cc/sb 4x4 dmax's on e.t. streets , he had the standard stuff, LMM, intake , exhaust, lift pump, trans and efi live. he ran consistent high 12's, and weighed in somewhere around 7200, i weighed 7900, in a cc/sb 4x4 6.4 ..i ran 12.80's all day , he ran a best of 12.94 (when we raced, which was 3 times, the other 2 times were like 12.99 and 13.03) and all of our races were good and fun. also on the dyno he made 540, i made 596. i had intake, exhaust and tuner, stock trans and everything else. dmax is basically just about the same speed as the 6.4, maybe a tad bit slower, cuz they dont 60ft like the straight axle trucks, but the weight differential really brought them close. cant go wrong either way.

What altitude were u running at?

So the point of this thread is that a 6.4 can run a big tune with a stock trans? It's 2008 all over again.:banghead: But here are some results; at obx in 09 I had a stock trans lb7 that limped at 473 HP on dunbars dyno. Next in line was a 6.4 who parked in the way and started loading his tune. Talking to the owner for that half an hour, I found out he also had a stock trans. He proceeded to make 580 rwhp. Later that day I was running 8.2x to his 8.8x. Sorry about the 1/8th times, but you gotta run what the track is.

It's obvious that a stock trans duramax won't run with a stock trans 6.4 and if it did it wouldnt do it very long but I never said stock trans. To keep things fair I would say a trans is a must for the Duramax. Hell I have a suncoast in my 6.4.

thats driver error obviously. i ran at least 20-30 passes in the 8.0x @ 83-84 ,

First off buddy,, I probably know a bit more than you think,,, and if you read my post,, rather than just gloss over it you would see that... I said that the 6.4 is close to a second faster ,,, high 12's to high 13's is pretty close to a second as far as I can count.... also my tranny wont go into limp mode at any given moment..

It is a proven face (over and over) the 6.4 is fast. The superdutys are around 8000lbs,, the comparable chevys are just over 7000lbs, and yet the ford is faster ( I realize that the duramax can be made fast,, very fast.) And the duramax is much faster than a cummins with the same mods, but not as fast as the 6.4 period.... now I dont know personally what a 6.4 will do heavily modded, as there isnt a ton of them around (yet) but with just throwing a off the shelf tuner on they are amazingly fast.

Well your truck is pretty special I would say, or it isn't as stock as you say. The fastest stock lbz with just a tuner that I have seen is low 14's. That was at 2300 feet

I am a little puzzled as to your thinking that the 6.4 won't run as strong at that altitude. Turbo vehicles do not notice altitude nearly as much as naturally asperated engines.

It's no lbz, but my 05 LLY (50hp shy of the lbz motor) ran a 13.2@107mph at Las Vegas Speedway with a EFI tune and an exhaust @ ~7600 lbs. Our track is 2100ft above sea level..... Its no 12, but its not far off.

6.4's are no slouch but I've worked a local truck that has a 310 spartan tune and an exhaust.... not just once, but 3 times.

i didnt know their was this many duramax members on the site....

how bout this
who gives a **** who's fastest with just a tune? NOBODY runs "just a tune" anyways

It's no lbz, but my 05 LLY (50hp shy of the lbz motor) ran a 13.2@107mph at Las Vegas Speedway with a EFI tune and an exhaust @ ~7600 lbs. Our track is 2100ft above sea level..... Its no 12, but its not far off.

6.4's are no slouch but I've worked a local truck that has a 310 spartan tune and an exhaust.... not just once, but 3 times.

truck has a built trans? if not I find it hard to believe.. Ive raced with and have a dmax with a good efi tune and exhaust and stuff.. weighs in at like 7000 prob and the truck will not go 13's... I find it hard to believe with no trans in there... slip?

truck has a built trans? if not I find it hard to believe.. Ive raced with and have a dmax with a good efi tune and exhaust and stuff.. weighs in at like 7000 prob and the truck will not go 13's... I find it hard to believe with no trans in there... slip?

Low 13's for a stock 5 spd Allison is not very common... low 13's for a stock 6 spd is not all that uncommon.

Just a Dumb Cummins ISB5.9 HPCR...

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd 6600 lbs, Stockish 48re Rebuild at the time, Stock Lift Pump, Stock Exhaust, Stock Intake, Stock Turbo, Street Tires.

Bone Stock = 16.2 @ 82 mph

Smarty Jr = 15.1 @ 91 mph

Smarty = 98 mph Trap Speeds

Smarty/ Edge EZ = 13.9 @ 99-100 mph

Smarty/TST/Edge EZ = 13.70@102.36 mph

Smarty/TST/Edge EZ Dyno = 458.82 Rwhp @ 2950 rpm, 875.40 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm.

Smarty/TST/Edge EZ/HE351 (06 Turbo)= 13.08 @ 105.99 mph

I've ran quicker 1/8 mile times, but that doesn't count... ;)

I would have like to seen what it would have done on Inhalants...

i didnt know their was this many duramax members on the site....

how bout this
who gives a **** who's fastest with just a tune? NOBODY runs "just a tune" anyways

Defeat is a bich huh. Theres plenty of fast 6.4s with way more than "just a tune" also. Dont get so angry - us ford guys dont have much to get excited about so we take what we can get LOL