Fuel Economy cam updates

Spooler said:
Looking hard at a custom built 63/68/14 from ED.

That is the turbo I'd love to try. I've talked to Glenn once about it and recently sent him a message about it also. No fundage in my camp right now for a new turbo, but if I won the lottery, I'd order two of them tomorrow. :D

I'm thinking about installing one of these. Then I could do back-to-back runs and not have to pay hundreds of dollars for hours on the dyno.

Butt Dyno - $529.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

:hehe:

My fundage is low also, gonna take a bit to get it back up. The 6 injector rebuilds and tip upgrades took my stash of cash. Thank goodness I had that stash though.

I'm getting jealous I don't have a cam yet.

It seems the difference is very minor between the 178 and the 188 on a "mild mannered" truck.

I'm getting jealous I don't have a cam yet.

It seems the difference is very minor between the 178 and the 188 on a "mild mannered" truck.

One call can fix this....888-398-2988. :D

True....but the difference between either and stock is worth it to me. :Cheer:

This data is all well and good, but it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that cams change absolutely nothing and do not work :)

Thank you very much for the truthful data. I am glad that you both posted the data you did. These torque happy cams allow mre airflow at low rpm. The exhaust is the same on both grinds, the only difference is the intake profile. Jory your data shows that the 178-208 moves more air at a lower rpm which allows more heat and drive pressure to build earlier. The 188-208 moves more air above 2,000 rpm which shows in some of your graphs by a higher drive pressure. The total amount of extra flow through the engine with the fixed orifice in the turbine wheel and wastegate gets backed up a little bit more.

I hope once we get into this a little bit more that the gains will show enough benefit to apply this cam design to the Class 8 trucks.

Thank you again.

I would love to slap on a "non-factory" exhaust manifold and see what my gains are. :evil

I would venture to say it is now my bottle neck and it would improve even more. :D

I just got done addin' another splash screen on my display when it boots up. I stole some graphics from some schuck's website that makes crap that don't work and has horribly customer service. LOL

HamiltonSplash.jpg

Looks nice! I hope you won't mind if I use that. Also, are you interested in logging some data for a ss turbine housing?

Last edited:
Looks nice! I hope you won't mind if I use that. Also, are you interested in logging some data for a ss turbine housing?

:hehe: Use it...it is yours. LOL

I'll log whatever parts you want to throw at me. :D I'd love to log a Steed Speed manifold if you got one layin' around. :hehe:

This data is all well and good, but it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that cams change absolutely nothing and do not work :)

Thank you very much for the truthful data. I am glad that you both posted the data you did. These torque happy cams allow mre airflow at low rpm. The exhaust is the same on both grinds, the only difference is the intake profile. Jory your data shows that the 178-208 moves more air at a lower rpm which allows more heat and drive pressure to build earlier. The 188-208 moves more air above 2,000 rpm which shows in some of your graphs by a higher drive pressure. The total amount of extra flow through the engine with the fixed orifice in the turbine wheel and wastegate gets backed up a little bit more.

I hope once we get into this a little bit more that the gains will show enough benefit to apply this cam design to the Class 8 trucks.

Thank you again.

Yeap, looks like my butt dyno is calibrated just fine.......LOL

It would be better compared with logging on a dyno where everything can be simulated the same. The only problem with comparing on the highway is temp, humidity, wind, wind direction, etc. So, for what it is worth, that's a good as I can get it. There is a dyno 19 miles from my house which I could use each time to log stuff, but I can't afford to pay them $100 for an hour each time I want data. :D I'd be glad to do it if the tip jar got full enough. LOL

It would be better compared with logging on a dyno where everything can be simulated the same. The only problem with comparing on the highway is temp, humidity, wind, wind direction, etc. So, for what it is worth, that's a good as I can get it. There is a dyno 19 miles from my house which I could use each time to log stuff, but I can't afford to pay them $100 for an hour each time I want data. :D I'd be glad to do it if the tip jar got full enough. LOL

When we took out the H2 and put in the 181/210 I dyno'd before and after. Odd that the dyno showed the gains it did. Of course not being restricted by electronic injection components is usually a plus.

Last edited:
When we took out the H2 and put in the 181/210 I dyno'd before and after. Odd that the dyno showed the gains it did. Of course not being restricted by electronic injection components is usually a plus.

I wasn't necesarily meaning to use the dyno as the recorder, merely to put the truck on the rollers, load it, and then log the data like I am now. :D

Might consider just driving a loop with one cam and the same loop with the other one. Log a data at certain points along the way and check your mileage with a calculator? Oc course not having hills in Texas or Oklahoma may make it difficult to put a load on it.:hehe:

Last edited:
Oh Jesus the data with no load information is just about useless. It would be like not reading the torque cells in a dyno room and just watching the guages....:nail:

Hell all along I just needed a "fuel economy cam".....LOL

Last edited:
That is what I'm saying...I'm driving the same stretch of road which is slightly uphill (to sorta simulate a load)....but if the head wind is 10 mph one day and 5mph the next from the other direction, that's enough difference to matter. Also, I'm taking data with a 30' gooseneck trailer on....that should be enough LOAD. LOL

That is what I'm saying...I'm driving the same stretch of road which is slightly uphill (to sorta simulate a load)....but if the head wind is 10 mph one day and 5mph the next from the other direction, that's enough difference to matter. Also, I'm taking data with a 30' gooseneck trailer on....that should be enough LOAD. LOL

Just position about 20 of your neighbors at strategic points along the way with equipment to log wind and other atmospheric data as you approach. Maybe have a pot luck afterwards.

Plot178vs188RPMandBoost.jpg

Without the power data I CAN tell you this is the exact same power curve. (Giving you the load was duplicated pretty well)

Last edited:
I guess we are fittin' to test out this new 188 cam after lunch today. Neighbors JD 7530 just took a dump so we are going to haul it to Enid's dealership for diagnostics. I think #30,000+ gross should be a close estimate. :D

I am enjoying this cam. Man it is fun.... I was going to adjust the wastegate on my turbo this weekend. Crappy weather and just didn't feel like it...LOL