HE351VE on a 12 valve

yours doesn't seem too loud on your youtube videos.

with just the open downpipe it seems as loud as a regular straight pipe at around 36psi.... so today i did not get some pipe, and i figured out i threw out my resonator a while ago. still debating what to do.

What is the youtube video called? I'd like to see it.

Update...

Using drive pressure, and having it start to open at 40psi drive and be fully open at 50spi drive works like a charm!

Drive pressure shoots up to 40psi and is regulated there as the turbo comes up to speed, making 37psi boost. Smoke free and quick! I will keep tinkering with getting the exhaust brake up and running now that the controls are dialed in.

OK this VGT on a 12-valve thing has my interest piqued, but I'd like to know how it behaves during ordinary boring driving like tooling around town under light throttle or easy acceleration. What kind of drive pressure are you seeing then, does it feel like it's being "held back" or working more than it would with the stock turbo because the vanes are mostly closed down? Would it hurt cruising MPG?

OK this VGT on a 12-valve thing has my interest piqued, but I'd like to know how it behaves during ordinary boring driving like tooling around town under light throttle or easy acceleration. What kind of drive pressure are you seeing then, does it feel like it's being "held back" or working more than it would with the stock turbo because the vanes are mostly closed down? Would it hurt cruising MPG?

Well, I will tell you this. I just drove from Casper, WY to Denver, CO last night in a blinding snowstorm. It behaves as a stock turbocharger when you need it to. Any heavy throttle input causes the turbo to light instantly, then its "off to the races."

The way the turbo is tuned at the moment, it makes 20psi of drive pressure and 10-15psi of boost cruising around part throttle. The truck does not feel held back at all. Cruising MPG are unchanged, all is well!

CSMdiesel are you running off boost or drive pressure? I just got mine lined up right so it dosent stick open or closed. But it seems to move my actuator to slow and my egts climb to fast. More tunning.

CSMdiesel are you running off boost or drive pressure? I just got mine lined up right so it dosent stick open or closed. But it seems to move my actuator to slow and my egts climb to fast. More tunning.

Drive pressure.

Well I received my ebay boost controller in the mail today.

I will give it a shot having it hooked up to drive pressure to open the VGT. As of right now it is set to start opening the VGT around 40psi, and is fully open by 50psi ,using regulated shop air.

I am about to drive to Denver and will report how it performs.

438744257_1526017681_0.jpg
[/IMG]

Cell phone pic...:kick:

Do you know which boost controller you bought from ebay? I'm looking on there and there are a bunch.

Hallman Manual Boost Controller ES MBC S13 S14 Skyline:eBay Motors (item 220492387953 end time Nov-07-09 23:44:34 PST)

This kind of looks like the one in your pic, is it this one? Little pricey.

thanks,
-nick

Has anyone thought about running water to there turbo to help cooling in any way?

Have no idea...I'm sure it cools the housing a little better, but oil temp is usually only a little higher that water temp anyway, so I'm not really sure if there is a real advantage.

I had a ball bearing charger on here before, so I already had all the water lines made!

Chris

Did you guys that have done this file down the nubs on the turbo body that hold the intake and exhaust housings so that you could spin the housings in the desired locations?

Would you guys say a drive pressure gauge completely necessary for tuning these things, my girlfriend thinks I'm weird enough with the batman control module I have set up now!

IMG_5509.jpg

Trapper can you tell us about your setup and how you like it?
Looks like a wastegate with a regulator, what is it running off of? boost or drive?