HE351VE on a 12 valve

Kinda, well it starts to open at 40psi, it is fully open at 60psi of drive pressure.

thanks bigblue, thats what i wanted to know..

12veg, i think everyone who put on a TBE should have 06 style downpipe, you could just chop off the end and weld it to your 4"

CSM diesel:
so does the DP shoot right to 40 psi, with little boost?
would be nice to see a video of both gauges at once...
i wanna put on a DP gauge yet, but the tubing i bought somehow was junk, so i need to try to find something else

I'm getting a lot of emails about VGT to T3 adapters, mostly Cummins guys. If I made a billet adapter that was 1.5" thick, would you have enough hood clearance with a stock manifold?

The pictures will give you an idea of how it works, each piece has countersunk bolt holes to mount each to the manifold and turbo, with the countersunk SHCS heads, each piece needs to be 3/4" thick. The only that that is not in the drawing is 4 bolts along the perimeter to bolt the two pieces together, I think I need a turbo to get that right.

Let me know what you think,
MC

Attachments

• vgt to t3 pic 1.bmp
    241.7 KB · Views: 274
  • vgt to t3 pic 2.bmp
    241.7 KB · Views: 272
Flanges look good. I sent you my design opinions via PM. Can a t3 gasket be used b/w the flanges?

MC, is this what you will be sending me? (I'm Nick btw, the guy you're sending the adapter to) Or did you weld tubing in between two flanges?

So if I'm understanding you correctly, do you mean that there will be 4 more holes in the flanges to bolt the two pieces together?

Nice adapter. Heres an interesting VGT pic I got at John Deere yesterday.

Attachments

• VGT on Deere.jpg
    VGT on Deere.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 85
That pic looks just like the control mechanism on the new borg warner vgt turbo I picked up, bracket and all.

water cooled bearing section

are the center sections on these turbos water cooled i don,t see any hoses hooked up any of these conversions. do they need it?

are the center sections on these turbos water cooled i don,t see any hoses hooked up any of these conversions. do they need it?

no, the water is only use to cool the electronics which most of us have been taking off

CSM diesel:
so does the DP shoot right to 40 psi, with little boost?
would be nice to see a video of both gauges at once...
i wanna put on a DP gauge yet, but the tubing i bought somehow was junk, so i need to try to find something else

The boost to drive goes in this fashion starting at idle(drive:boost) :

5:1
10:5
20:15
30:20
40:30
40:40
40:42-45

It all happens rather quickly, but the boost pressure usually runs on a 5-10lb deficit to drive pressure. Upon stabbing the throttle, drive shoots right up to 40 and boost is RIGHT behind it.

Flanges look good. I sent you my design opinions via PM. Can a t3 gasket be used b/w the flanges?

Yes, two T3 gaskets and a VGT gasket.

One T3 gasket between the manifold and the adapters, one T3 gasket between the two adapter plates, and one VGT gasket between the adapter and turbo.

PM sent,
MC

MC, is this what you will be sending me? (I'm Nick btw, the guy you're sending the adapter to) Or did you weld tubing in between two flanges?

So if I'm understanding you correctly, do you mean that there will be 4 more holes in the flanges to bolt the two pieces together?

Nick, yes, it was fabbed, you should have it by now?
Email me, I have another customer sending a turbine housing for the billet adapters, will be shorter and stronger, but also more expensive. And yes, needs 4 holes along the perimeter to hold the two plates together, working on positioning now, need that turbine housing first though. Will be here early next week.
Do you still have my email? PM me if you don't.

MC

The problem I see with any adapter is the turbo hitting the shock tower.
On our 4x4 th turbo is bolted to the manifold and there is only about 1 inch clearance between the moving collar arm and the shock tower. Add the movement of the motor to the right side when pulling and it's really close..

Else than that adapter will be neat

Yeah, might not work for the Dodge truck, that's what I'm trying to find out now. I like how you did yours, I'm not the biggest fan of plugging and re-drilling when the bolt holes overlap, but yours obviously works, and you do nice work.

I get emails every day of people trying to put the VGT on Honda's, sand rails, SBC's and SBF's, even a Saab. Would be nice if it works on the Cummins, I do a lot of work for diesel guys and diesel shops.

What if you flip the manifold?

MC

Probably need to do a 2nd gen manifold

Ahha. If you guys could help me with the details, that would be great.

The last Cummins I worked on was a 98.5 and the manifold had the turbo flange pointing up, but 12valve has pictures posted in the other thread of his manifold showing the turbo flange pointing down...

What are some of the differences year to year? What years are 1st gen, 2nd gen and what year did they goto 24v? And is there a difference in the 24v manifolds, or all they all the same? I've never owned a 5.9 Ram, only installed adapters and swapped turbo's on a couple.

MC

1st and 2nd gen's have the turbo mounted in the same spot. In the center with the flange pointing down at about 45º

However the 3rd gen has the flange coming straight down between the 4th and 5th cylinders. Should be no problem putting it on a 1st or 2nd gen but the 3rd gen might need to use a 2nd gen manifold for clearance