HE351VE on a 12 valve

89-93 = 1st gen 12V
94-98 = 2nd gen 12V
98.5-02 = 2nd gen 24V
03-up = 3rd gen

got the adapter but I'm pretty afraid its gonna hit the shock tower, I'll email you...

1st and 2nd gen's have the turbo mounted in the same spot. In the center with the flange pointing down at about 45º

However the 3rd gen has the flange coming straight down between the 4th and 5th cylinders. Should be no problem putting it on a 1st or 2nd gen but the 3rd gen might need to use a 2nd gen manifold for clearance

on a third gen using a 2nd gen manifold makes it harder. most adapters will make the turbo hit the shock tower (which is closer on a 3rd gen), or the battery, or the hood, or the cowl area. that's why i used a 90* short radius piece of pipe and did not flip the manifold. the easiest thing to do is use a 6.7 manifold with an EGR block off plate on a 3rd gen 5.9. however, if you want an exhaust that sounds like a vp44 truck, then you need to do/or keep the 2nd gen manifold.

on edit..now IF you flipped the 2nd gen exhaust manifold and redrilled the holes on the VGT to mount to the T3, then it MIGHT fit up high. i dunno, would have to look at that...

on edit..now IF you flipped the 2nd gen exhaust manifold and redrilled the holes on the VGT to mount to the T3, then it MIGHT fit up high. i dunno, would have to look at that...

I don't see why it wouldn't work. you flip the manifold for twins

1.5" may still be too long of an adapter, without a flipped manifold, in fact, I'm almost sure it would.

I had everything apart today to begin sizing everything up, and if you are adapting to a 2nd gen 12V manifold there is hardly any clearance coming straight off of the manifold with the turbo, to the shock towers. Unless you have an adapter that is radiused in the right way, flipping the manifold is necessary. I'm thinking of modifying the manifold (similar to what 12Valve did) so that I can hang it right off the bottom without having to flip the manifold, and making the exhaust more of a direct fit..

I don't see why it wouldn't work. you flip the manifold for twins

the housing is so big...it may hit the hood with the manifold flipped. i'd have to look. it wasn't going to work with an adapter and the manifold flipped. it probably would fit without an adapter...

I have seen some pretty big top turbos in twins setups that fit and the exhaust housing isn't any bigger then the 351 compressor housing.

I wish I could find another VGT to fiddle with

no, the water is only use to cool the electronics which most of us have been taking off

interesting, On the he431ve turbo i have in the garage, The holes going from the centersection to th electronic box have a freeze plug in there. So I looks like no water goes into the electronic box but only through the centersection.
On the he351ve water goes into the electronic box.

I can get a pic of clearance on a 4x4

the housing is so big...it may hit the hood with the manifold flipped. i'd have to look. it wasn't going to work with an adapter and the manifold flipped. it probably would fit without an adapter...

Not sure if the 3rd gens have less hood clearance, but I even had room for my 451's 29cm housing AND my control setup (the lever on my 451 is on top instead of on the side like the 300 series). The only thing that required me to make a little room was the wastegate actuator, and that was only because a brace was in the way. I just gave it a few love taps with a hammer while making sure not to bow my hood...

EDIT: However that is with a .5" adapter directly welded to the manifold, not a 1.5" adapter. But I still think there would be room with the 26cm housing of the 351 and the ability to put the controls on the side instead of on top...

Here is what the adapter will look like, cutting a couple of them now. Going to send one to a customer with a Saab, the other will goto Nick, he's going to try it on his 12v? I won't be able to ship it until Thursday, Ohio to California means he will have it early next week.

Attachments

• vgt to t3 new.jpg
    vgt to t3 new.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 42
Here is what the adapter will look like, cutting a couple of them now. Going to send one to a customer with a Saab, the other will goto Nick, he's going to try it on his 12v? I won't be able to ship it until Thursday, Ohio to California means he will have it early next week.

Looks good buddy! :ft:

Send it USPS he should get it in a couple days

Send it USPS he should get it in a couple days

I send almost everything USPS Priority, gotta love flat rate boxes and envelopes! But from Ohio to California... Wednesday is Veterans day? USPS is closed so I can't ship it until Thursday, so he will have it MAYBE Saturday, probably Monday... I hope he still has his truck apart, haven't talked to him in a couple of days?

Pics coming tonight of the actual adapter, CAD renderings are great, but pictures of the actual part are better...

Who me? Hey there!
My truck could never be apart for that long, I use it for work too much, but don't worry, any chance to take it apart and put it back together again and I'm there.

Anyways, so you sent it off? Cool, I will try it out as soon as I get it, and let you know shortly after that. Thanks for your work on this! :Cheer:

Anyways, so you sent it off? Cool, I will try it out as soon as I get it, and let you know shortly after that. Thanks for your work on this! :Cheer:

Not yet! USPS is closed tomorrow, will ship Thursday.
Will have pics tomorrow of the actual adapter, the T3 side is cut, VGT side is coming off the mill, when I get a chance to finish anyway.

MC

I send almost everything USPS Priority, gotta love flat rate boxes and envelopes! But from Ohio to California... Wednesday is Veterans day? USPS is closed so I can't ship it until Thursday, so he will have it MAYBE Saturday, probably Monday... I hope he still has his truck apart, haven't talked to him in a couple of days?

Pics coming tonight of the actual adapter, CAD renderings are great, but pictures of the actual part are better...

Flat rate is all I use now. If it don't fit in a flat rate box...make it fit lol

Mcmotorsports, i just bought some flanges from you for my swap (j-shaw) but I might want to hold off a bit, sounds like you got something better in the works.
Anyways, i posted this on another forum but I'm gonna stick it here to so i can get some input from you guys FIRST POST everyone.
"I'm about to start my swap and I have a downpipe question, I can weld ok but have never built an exhaust. So if anyone has done this on a 12valve and knows what parts I need to buy please tell me. I have a 4" exhaust on my stock HX35 now and I assume that the flange on the back of the housing of the he351ve is a HX40 style right? so i need a 4" v band flange there welded to a 45* then a straight piece then another 45* and a flat band clamp to connect to my exhaust. Do I see this right? I'm gonna build an adapter with weld flanges between the manifold and turbo and it looks like all the cold side stuff should line up (turbo to IC and filter to turbo) and the stock oil lines should still work too. So if anyone has some suggestions I'd very much like to hear them before I start taking my truck apart. Cant get anything locally so it will all have to be here before I start."