HE351VE on a 12 valve

I've done something similar twice now with good results... But I didn't bother cutting the T3 flange off. I just used a 1/2" piece of plate steel and milled the openings I wanted, then welded and pinned it to the manifold...

Trick I use is to actually pin it to the manifold first and I stitch weld it on opposite corners about a 1/2" at a time. That and I wait to lay a new stitch in until everything is cool to the touch.

The T4 plate I did for an HX40 about 2 1/2 years ago is still holding up; ran it on my truck for about 40k. My friend runs it on his truck now, maybe only 2k, but a lot of it is off road. I've put close to 15k on this new turbo without issue (did the same thing with this one). I'm sure eventually I will crack the stock manifold or something of that nature, so I'll probably spring for a big foot manifold and see if I can get whoever I get it from to drill it for the goofy bolt pattern of my 451.

I was thinking of just welding the studs in to the manifold and cutting them off. Then drill and tap new holes to mount the turbo. I think there is enough material there to get away with it.

im thinkin of pickin up an he351 off an 06 and running it as a top turbo in a twin set up. i found one for a good price and already have an 80mm to use as a bottom charger. what would i have to do to make this bolt up to my manifold?

I was thinking of just welding the studs in to the manifold and cutting them off. Then drill and tap new holes to mount the turbo. I think there is enough material there to get away with it.

Do it the other way around... Plug the holes on the turbo and redrill it for T3

It's been done check it out here: HE351VE on a VP44 truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

im thinkin of pickin up an he351 off an 06 and running it as a top turbo in a twin set up. i found one for a good price and already have an 80mm to use as a bottom charger. what would i have to do to make this bolt up to my manifold?

If you are after an HE351cw off a 5.9 CR it will bolt right up as it is a T3 single scroll turbo, but if you go with one of those I would port the wastegate to the max and build a hotpipe that doesn't make the gated exhaust run into a wall...

If you are thinking of a HE351ve off of a 6.7 then check out the thread above about converting the turbo flange to T3. That would make it a LOT easier. There is also a kicka$$ video on there that shows a sweet mechanical control setup... I am actually thinking about modifying my set up to something similar :rockwoot:

None, I picked up a HE431ve off ebay and want to see if I can make it work. ^^

The turbo I have the vane stuck due to an oil leak that coked the center of the housing up. Mainly it was dirt stuck around the inside ring for the vane. A little bit of Carb cleaner freed it right up though.

Removing the inner ring might stop it from sticking. Setting up the controller to exercise the vane when the truck is shifted into park might also help.

:doh: Didn't see this post... My 451 has a big enough bolt pattern that I don't think I could have gotten away with threading studs to the manifold. I cut my plate for the right opening, drilled/tapped for studs, plug welded the studs on the back side, then welded the plate to the manifold as described earlier.

Also, measure up your 431 and make sure it doesn't have the "little" 57mm wheel. It should have a billet aluminum 60/88 compressor wheel.

My 451 has the same problem with coking, I think this is the downfall to these turbos. Mine actually has a slight oil leak too that isn't helping, and I actually take a wrench and move my linkage through it's full range to keep it free. Fact is if I forget for a month or so I actually have to take the turbo apart and clean out that inner ring :bang

Last edited:
If you are after an HE351cw off a 5.9 CR it will bolt right up as it is a T3 single scroll turbo, but if you go with one of those I would port the wastegate to the max and build a hotpipe that doesn't make the gated exhaust run into a wall...

If you are thinking of a HE351ve off of a 6.7 then check out the thread above about converting the turbo flange to T3. That would make it a LOT easier. There is also a kicka$$ video on there that shows a sweet mechanical control setup... I am actually thinking about modifying my set up to something similar :rockwoot:[/QUOTE]

thanks. im looking at the he351cw off the 5.9 so i dont have to piss with the variable geometry stuff. its only gonna be a semi temporary thing. im detuning my truck a little and goin with twins so its more driver/towing friendly yet still makes good power. lookin to put the 351 over an 80mm. eventually the 351 will get replaced with a 64/71 or something close to it.

The compressor is 55/85 and the turbine 59/75.

Soot build up shouldn't be too much of a problem, the 6.7s seem to have excessive soot build up from the emission controls. The oil slinging onto the inside of the vane is going to cause problems. I'm going to replace the seals in mine before using it.

The compressor is 55/85 and the turbine 59/75.

Soot build up shouldn't be too much of a problem, the 6.7s seem to have excessive soot build up from the emission controls. The oil slinging onto the inside of the vane is going to cause problems. I'm going to replace the seals in mine before using it.

Good luck... That's why they are replacing them when they coke up; there's no new parts available from cummins (holset is a part of cummins). I already checked since I wanted to reseal mine.

Also you aren't going to get far with that 55/85 wheel. I'd say it would make 375-400 hp before getting uncontrollably hot. Though you might be able to get Industrial Injection to put a 62 or 64mm wheel in it if you wanted to make good power. Or maybe try and find another 431, but with the 60/88 compressor wheel; that should make 500hp with decent temps.

I took my turbo apart, there were a couple of numbers.

HE431VE
Compressor 4039432 083090251
Turbine 4041399 083030029
Thrust Bearing 3592966
Oil Baffle 4047113-DK

The oil seals on the shafts for the vane have DHSW 139-23-07E CFW on them and look to be normal oil seals.

The thrust bearing part number matches the one for a HY40V. The piston ring, which seals the turbine seems to be common with all 11mm shafts.

Well, finally a little bit of progress. I had been waiting for the WG actuator from a guy, and he dragged his feet for to long, so I just took the one off of my HX35 and fabbed a little smashed copper pipe dealy with a screw to keep the WG shut.

Got the billet adapter from MC Motorsports last night and it will just work out right! Big thanks to Michael!

I'll have to cock the center section a little bit more towards the top, and that will put the shock tower right in between the two housings with just enough wiggle room to make me feel comfortable, phew!

The adapter was my biggest concern, I still wasn't sure if it was going to work, but it all just fits in there with the housing srotated appropriately.

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

I think, and I hope, that I will be able to connect the turbo outlet straight onto the preexisting intercooler piping without any extra silicone adapters. I had everything apart today to check the clearances, but didn't have time to check that specifically. If nothing else it will be a short length of straight adapter though.

My next trick may very well be to utilize the existing gearing inside what was Holset's controller for this thing, I have an idea of how it can be done, but it will definitely be time consuming!
IMG_6377.jpg

The gearing makes the actuation of the collar take much much less effort, and I'm hoping it will also make for easier unsticking of the collar should it become stuck, as there is greater leverage exerted.
IMG_6376.jpg

That's all for now...

holy mismatch! don't hang an 80 under a stocker

You can't even utilize an s475 to its full potential with a stocker over it why would you waste your money on putting an s480 under it?

12VEG: That looks good! Now for a picture with it on the truck and the clearance around the shock tower.

12veg, i dont think the intercooler piping will just bolt up. when i had the turbo on there with a 1 3/4" adapter i had to modify the stock intercooler pipe, works ok. and i didnt use an extra silicon hose...

id like to see a pic of the shock tower clearance too

Don't say mismatch till you try it.

Even Nathan at MPI has played around with a ported wastegate He351 over S480.

I'll say mismatch... no need for a 480 below 700hp... even higher...

so why give up spool-up w/ the bigger compressor when a 475 will do the job?