Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

Don has some good stuff but there is better out there , OH I dont know tho on his Ppumps somtimes they can run away ( poof)then spend another $$$$$$$$ for an engine

Did I read a 13.09 in there somewhere?? Of course Charlie Stewart's 8.31 run was there too!

This has been a good read...and while we may disagree with someone, both must be good products. That being said, Helix 2 on the way very soon!

Chris

I just finished reading ALL 16 pages. Then I had to go back to page one to figure out what the original question was.

My experience with regrinds has been great. I have no problem running a regrind and will continue to run them.

I know someone on here mentioned having bad experience with a regrind, but it was an issue with a certain company and a batch of soft cams. They were not Gregs cams, so it is irrelevant to this post.

think what you want, whatever makes you feel better about having a regrind in your motor. one will never go back in mine. and matter of fact i never posted the name of the company (there is only 2 people that know) and i dont know where they got it ground, could be the same place greg gets his done, i dont know! a pic is worth 1000 words, i posted 3 of them for all to see my experiences and for the extra few hundred bucks i would rather spend on a cummins cam or a new cut cam rather than having to swap cams within a few thousand miles. a little food for thought, i had a brand new motor, i thought the regrind cam was fine but i pulled it out to check (just in case) and you can see what i saw, metal flakes in my brand new motor. i dont have a money ****ter so i am still running that motor.

I would point the finger at the company that did your work on your cam, but that does not mean any regrind is bad. I am sorry you had trouble, but to automatically blame all regrinds is not fair to the other companies out there. I have pulled out more STOCK cams that went flat than I have regrinds - but I have pulled out more stock cams, too.

then you are not comparing apples to apples, since you have pulled more stock cams how can you even compare that. you need to go read a stats book and experimental design book b4 making a comparison like that. it would also help if you go back and reread my posts, i stated my opinions, my findings, and the facts that i found backed up with pics! i will NOT point a finger at the company, the cam didnt come with a warranty, but they called me and paid for everything to be taken care of, what more could i have asked for. i do have a brand new cam that i will not reveal where it came from, as it doesnt matter. i will not put another regrind in my motor and will offer my findings to anyone that wants to know, and thats it. common sense should be the biggest guide in deciding between a new cam versus a regrind, but again that is my opinion.

SmokinCummins said:
I would point the finger at the company that did your work on your cam, but that does not mean any regrind is bad. I am sorry you had trouble, but to automatically blame all regrinds is not fair to the other companies out there. I have pulled out more STOCK cams that went flat than I have regrinds - but I have pulled out more stock cams, too.

Little lost here and this is not directed as a smart comment.

In High HP motors...

Stock Cam failue rate = 15% ?
OEM regrind failure rate = 4% ?
Billet Cam failure rate = 1% ?

Are these numbers close? :confused:

Guys forgive me if this has been posted on this thread.. I started reading, and then lost interest because of banter. I read a while back where DDP dynoed a truck with a Piers cam before and after the install and the owner posted the results. Has anyone done this with either the maxspool or the helix? If so, could you please post them, or PM me?

jkretzer said:
then you are not comparing apples to apples, since you have pulled more stock cams how can you even compare that.

Because I have never pulled a regrind that was flat, but I have pulled several cams that were not regrinds (this includes aftermarket new blanks) that were flat on one or several lobes. The reason I have pulled more stock cams than regrinds is obvious - you have to pull a stock cam to install a different cam - stock aftermarket, new, used, billit or regrind unless you pull an aftermarket cam to install another aftermarket cam which happens, but not very often. Anyone that does alot of cam changes will agree, the majority of the cams pulled will be the stock one. But keep in mind, a soft lobe can happen to anyone - even on a brand new blank. That is the point I am trying to make. You have seen a regrind go flat, I have seen cams that were new (stock and aftermarket) go flat.

Once again, sorry you had problems with yours. I am sure your opinion is valued on here, but that does not mean I am not allowed to share my opinion, or experiances.

Last edited:
Morse said:
Guys forgive me if this has been posted on this thread.. I started reading, and then lost interest because of banter. I read a while back where DDP dynoed a truck with a Piers cam before and after the install and the owner posted the results. Has anyone done this with either the maxspool or the helix? If so, could you please post them, or PM me?

I have on a second gen. Didn't make any more power, but the helix 2 brought in power 350-500 rpms sooner.

SmokinCummins said:
Because I have never pulled a regrind that was flat, but I have pulled several cams that were not regrinds (this includes aftermarket new blanks) that were flat on one or several lobes. The reason I have pulled more stock cams than regrinds is obvious - you have to pull a stock cam to install a different cam - stock aftermarket, new, used, billit or regrind unless you pull an aftermarket cam to install another aftermarket cam which happens, but not very often. Anyone that does alot of cam changes will agree, the majority of the cams pulled will be the stock one. But keep in mind, a soft lobe can happen to anyone - even on a brand new blank. That is the point I am trying to make. You have seen a regrind go flat, I have seen cams that were new (stock and aftermarket) go flat.

Once again, sorry you had problems with yours. I am sure your opinion is valued on here, but that does not mean I am not allowed to share my opinion, or experiances.

If the obvious was so clear then why restate it from a biased point of view, anyway on to a serious question. anyway what do you think caused the billet and new cams to go bad? valve lash? poor initial grind? bad blank? abused?

peoples opinions is what drives this site and continues to pool of knowledge here to grow which in turn helps us all.

Morse thanks for trying to get this thread back on track.

To date; we have had one cam lobe failure. Gus Farmer's. Thats a single failure out of hundreds of cams. The manufacturer and an independant lab said the part was abused from overheat and lubricant breakdown.

The funniest part is: that same cam was repaired and is in a truck that has logged over 60K in miles this year after the swap. It was done partly for testing purposes to verify what the labs told me. "The lobes were solid, the material was spec on perfect". The cam is holding up great. Hoping to pull it in 100K miles if not sooner and measure everything.

Bit of a side issue,... but

Soup Nazi said:
To date; we have had one cam lobe failure. Gus Farmer's. Thats a single failure out of hundreds of cams. The manufacturer and an independant lab said the part was abused from overheat and lubricant breakdown.

The funniest part is: that same cam was repaired and is in a truck that has logged over 60K in miles this year after the swap. It was done partly for testing purposes to verify what the labs told me. "The lobes were solid, the material was spec on perfect". The cam is holding up great. Hoping to pull it in 100K miles if not sooner and measure everything.

Don,

When you did my last tips were all the injectors alright or did you have to fix any of them? I assume they are all alright now?

Tks.

Pat

OT-OF-Here said:
Don,

When you did my last tips were all the injectors alright or did you have to fix any of them? I assume they are all alright now?

Tks.

Pat

I yanked my notebook down and got the data we recorded on them. They are all in great shape.

Soup Nazi said:
To date; we have had one cam lobe failure. Gus Farmer's. Thats a single failure out of hundreds of cams.

Are there other "types" of failures, and if so have you had any??

I know of one that was in two pieces when it was removed. That must be a duel cam variable design that matches up with the hot rod 370s that were not available to the GENERAL PUBLIC. Only special people get that treatment.

so i've just got one question. now, no one take offense to this and if i do make you mad, oh well. i don't want to hear an opinion from anyone not even the manufacturers, cause it doens't matter what you think of your stuff. which of these cams could i purchase and not have to worry about having to change it for a couple hundred thousand miles??? causei don't want some piece of crap that's gonna have to be changed in 50k. no opinions of well my re ground or my new url either. thanks.

and on another note, customer service is one of the best things in the world to have. and standing behind your product is also great. but to try and blackmale someone to get your way is chicken s#!& plain and simple.

and did the person that started this thread get his question answered??? or did this turn into soup and his people versus comp and his??? all i ended up seeing is a couple fo very wealthy people having a 2nd grade arguement of my dad can beat up your dad. and for what reason????

i did learn alot about cams and alot of it confused me i could argue both sides of the fence from what i've read and what i know. i'm not going to unless someone decides to be slanderous towards me as you are to one another.

that's about all i guess.

So you've asked a question, that can only answered by opinion, as no one knows if a part will last a couple hundred thousand miles until there's a couple hundred thousand miles on it. And then say you don't want anyone to answer.. :hehe: :what:

Engine parts don't have MTBF like lightbulbs or hard drives..

Pack Mule said:
so i've just got one question. now, no one take offense to this and if i do make you mad, oh well. i don't want to hear an opinion from anyone not even the manufacturers, cause it doens't matter what you think of your stuff. which of these cams could i purchase and not have to worry about having to change it for a couple hundred thousand miles??? causei don't want some piece of crap that's gonna have to be changed in 50k. no opinions of well my re ground or my new url either. thanks.

and on another note, customer service is one of the best things in the world to have. and standing behind your product is also great. but to try and blackmale someone to get your way is chicken s#!& plain and simple.

and did the person that started this thread get his question answered??? or did this turn into soup and his people versus comp and his??? all i ended up seeing is a couple fo very wealthy people having a 2nd grade arguement of my dad can beat up your dad. and for what reason????

i did learn alot about cams and alot of it confused me i could argue both sides of the fence from what i've read and what i know. i'm not going to unless someone decides to be slanderous towards me as you are to one another.

that's about all i guess.

I got what i wanted out of it. And i think alot of people benifitted from it as well, There was a lot of BS in it but you'll have that in ever good debate. I usually try to make my threads about stuff thats in the "Grey" area that alot of people are probably wondering about. Just wanted to get a feel of what everbody thought about theirs or if they have had both.

Back