Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

Signal 73 said:
No More PDW Doug?:what:

Time for family! PDW was a full time job, that combined with flying full time for Northwest Airlines left little time for anything else. Plus now maybe I can get the black truck back together.

Doug

bcummins said:
How much are the helix 2 cams and what exactly will it do for my rig I am thinking that it will give me a longer duration that will improve flow and lower my boost resulting that I can turn my turboes up higher ?? does that sound right I can't run over 65PSI boost now becouse I only have a Oringed head so I need to try in get this thing to flow more Also any one no how to get more RPMs out of a VP I have the hot rod deal now but it still signs off at about 35-3600 and has anyone run the cometic head gaskets yet????

The H2 cam will help you engine to breath. As for limiting boost to 65#, you should be safe to 80# easy with studs and o-rings. The cometic gasket has some proving to do before I would slap one on my truck. More RPM from a VP truck can be had with a Blue Chip Redline box, you can have over 4000 rpm using this unit.

Doug

Jetpilot said:
Time for family! PDW was a full time job, that combined with flying full time for Northwest Airlines left little time for anything else. Plus now maybe I can get the black truck back together.

Doug

Family beats out work 7 days a week, hate to hear you are out of the part peddling business Doug, but it's for the right reasons :rockwoot:

Jetpilot said:

Doug
Good for you man, right priorities! PDW all done or under new management?

i talked to the people in ford country and he said when i get the pump in to let him know and he'd let me dyno with each one so i could see the power difference and find where my truck peaks it's hp. also if i get a few spare dollars i'll stud and fog it. i may go ahead and put a little 50 or 75hp shot on it just to help get the charger lit faster. i don't think that's enough to even think of hurting the head gasket. but when they fix my rear main seal i'll have them check and see if the head gasket might be bad if they can.

so if i have a 95 12 valve with water injection, new era 435s, custom dvs, o torque plate, 60 lbs valve springs, ringed head, 4k gsk, and a quick diesel high tech turbo what would be the best cam if i want to have a daily driver but still tke it to the track and smoke the little ricers on the street.

Signal 73 said:
Good for you man, right priorities! PDW all done or under new management?

PDW is still here, just under new ownership.

Pack Mule said:
i talked to the people in ford country and he said when i get the pump in to let him know and he'd let me dyno with each one so i could see the power difference and find where my truck peaks it's hp. also if i get a few spare dollars i'll stud and fog it. i may go ahead and put a little 50 or 75hp shot on it just to help get the charger lit faster. i don't think that's enough to even think of hurting the head gasket. but when they fix my rear main seal i'll have them check and see if the head gasket might be bad if they can.

Don't run nitrous without o-rings or fire-rings..... Too may HG pop using nitrous, even a small dose. There really isn't such things as a 50 or 75 shot on diesel. Each pill size will produce different HP on different trucks. HP from nitrous is dependent upon available fuel not just jet size.

Doug

COMP461 said:
Kind of an interesting first post.

I thought I might clear up your total misunderstanding of how a cam is ground, and then reground. First a stock Cummins cam UGL is heat treated to a depth that allows any possible grind to be place on that core. If you grind a small amount off the back side of the lobe, this making a small lift cam and then later on you decide to grind more off the same lobe to achieve a bigger lobe lift cam, whether you do it while its still in the grinder or you run the cam for a 100,000 miles in a truck the resultant shape, and dimension of the cam will be exactly the same. The hardness is determined at heat treat as a UGL; there is no heat treat operation after grinding, no cam is heat treated after this operation.

I think you are confusing a few things. Case hardening and heat treat.

Heat treat affects the bulk of the material.

Case hardening affects the outer surface to about 50 thou.

When a cam is re ground, it MUST be re-hardened, followed by post heat treat and final polishing.

This is because the grinding removes the hardened case. Once the case is removed, it needs to go back in the furnace. After the desired case thickness is achieved, the material is then re-heated and quenched at the desired temp to re-acquire the lost temper from the case hardening process.

after all this, the cam needs to be final ground and polished (not to exceed the case thickness)....cuz the above processes make a mess of the surface.

Last edited:
I could care less about the pissing contests...I'm gonna run a MaxSpool.
It was ground on Friday so I should have it soon.....
I had questions...Greg answered them when others wouldn't. That goes a long way in my book.

Diesel Freak said:
I think you are confusing a few things. Case hardening and heat treat.

Heat treat affects the bulk of the material.

Case hardening affects the outer surface to about 50 thou.

When a cam is re ground, it MUST be re-hardened, followed by post heat treat and final polishing.

This is because the grinding removes the hardened case. Once the case is removed, it needs to go back in the furnace. After the desired case thickness is achieved, the material is then re-heated and quenched at the desired temp to re-acquire the lost temper from the case hardening process.

after all this, the cam needs to be final ground and polished (not to exceed the case thickness)....cuz the above processes make a mess of the surface.

Cams are not reheat treated after being ground for a UGL, not mine , and not Don’s and cams are not case harden. This is a common misconception the heat treat is some where thicker then 200 on a Cummins cast nodular steel core. This core is induction hardened. Don’s cams on the other hand are Chilled cast iron, not a problem if the quality control is maintained. I am in possession of a third failed Helix cam; the verdict is more then likely the same. The surface finish and the depth of hardness is in question on this cam, but it appears to me to be similar to the other two. So Don I have seen three of your cams fail, and have heard about 2 more. So far I have had no failures, not that it will not ever happen, but none to date. And I have taken orders for 17 cams since this thread started.

Don and friends have asserted that the lobe needs to be a certain width to accomplish lifter rotation, the truth is this is false, the offset in the lobe vs. the centerline of the lifter are the way this is accomplished, if this was true then the cam lobe would have to be different width for a 12 valve, 24 valve and a CR
Don and friends have asserted that the valve train geometry is compromised by these cams , the proof is ultimately in the performance

It is obvious that Don is only repeating, words and phrases he has been told by his cam people and He has a problem in that he doesn’t understand these words and word vomits this on to these pages to do nothing but attack anyone he feels a threat from. He can not state any positive attributes or any benefits of his product. The on a culvert effort a whole crop of new members pop up with one or two post credit to their name and mysteriously post complimentary information in regards to his product.

I on the other hand have been straight forward and given freely the pertinent information as people asked. There is no problem with a reground cam other then Don’s ridicules marketing attempts

To date no reground cam I have done as failed, the one in Wades truck that just went 11.06 was in Brady’s truck before he built a new motor with a billet. This same cam was in the Predator/ NitroFlash truck before that. This cam has been around, and each time it comes out it still looks new.

Don go find a corner and quite making your self look any stupider.

Last edited:
How old are all these people that are having a pissing match over the different cams? I swear they can't be over 16. Seems like there is a lot of this :kick: and this :poke: going on.

COMP461 said:
Cams are not reheat treated after being ground for a UGL, not mine , and not Don’s and cams are not case harden. This is a common misconception the heat treat is some where thicker then 200 on a Cummins cast nodular steel core. This core is induction hardened. Don’s cams on the other hand are Chilled cast iron, not a problem if the quality control is maintained. I am in possession of a third failed Helix cam; the verdict is more then likely the same. The surface finish and the depth of hardness is in question on this cam, but it appears to me to be similar to the other two. So Don I have seen three of your cams fail, and have heard about 2 more. So far I have had no failures, not that it will not ever happen, but none to date. And I have taken orders for 17 cams since this thread started.

Don and friends have asserted that the lobe needs to be a certain width to accomplish lifter rotation, the truth is this is false, the offset in the lobe vs. the centerline of the lifter are the way this is accomplished, if this was true then the cam lobe would have to be different width for a 12 valve, 24 valve and a CR
Don and friends have asserted that the valve train geometry is compromised by these cams , the proof is ultimately in the performance

It is obvious that Don is only repeating, words and phrases he has been told by his cam people and He has a problem in that he doesn’t understand these words and word vomits this on to these pages to do nothing but attack anyone he feels a threat from. He can not state any positive attributes or any benefits of his product. The on a culvert effort a whole crop of new members pop up with one or two post credit to their name and mysteriously post complimentary information in regards to his product.

I on the other hand have been straight forward and given freely the pertinent information as people asked. There is no problem with a reground cam other then Don’s ridicules marketing attempts

To date no reground cam I have done as failed, the one in Wades truck that just went 11.06 was in Brady’s truck before he built a new motor with a billet. This same cam was in the Predator/ NitroFlash truck before that. This cam has been around, and each time it comes out it still looks new.

I did have an unbiased opinion of the two products, but, now I'm sure of it...comp your so full of chit, your breath stinks.:hehe:

Keep it going.

I love this stuff:rockwoot:

I mean cam talk:hehe:

Also comp,
I will be contacting you soon about a cam.:evil

Christ Greg, you're really going off the deep end. Now both Dave & Diesel Freak are johnny come latelys only here to attack you and carry on the forward frontal assault against you for Don. Do you even know who you're talking to?

ok seriously, is this a thread on camshafts, or a playground fight.

could anyone point me in the right direction for a cam for my truck, forget biased answers, just what should i get.
so if i have a 95 12 valve with water injection, new era 435s, custom dvs, o torque plate, 60 lbs valve springs, ringed head, 4k gsk, and a quick diesel high tech turbo what would be the best cam if i want to have a daily driver but still take it to the track and smoke the little ricers on the street.

COMP461 said:

quit not quite. and ignorant would have sounded better. sorry, had to point it out. i'm sure i'll do the same and need the same correction. no hard feelings.

i'm getting real intrested in the cam purchasing department and i, of course, have another question. this is for those currently using a regrind in their trucks. how many miles do any of you have on them??? i'm sure i done asked about the helix cams. i may have already asked this and got no answer.

who could tell me what it would cost to get one reground if it was my cam to begin with?? or would i just send mine as a core??

and dang ya'll, i see it like this, either one can fail, you both need to realize in your own perspective you're both right and you're both wrong. it's that simple. sure don't get me wrong i carry one hell of a big chip on my shoulder and would refer to it as a rail road tie. all either one of you are doing is trying to say mine's better, or at least that's how i am taking it. i myself could be wrong as i have several times before. now, can't we all just get along and do what it is we all love so dear?? and that's making hp.
thank you Pack Mule:rockwoot: :rockwoot:

These two cant ever seem to get along.:thankyou2:

Dont get me wrong, I love a good arguement.

I also think that both off them are VERY qualified in what they do. I also respect both of there opinions.
You have to remember they have been doing the diesel thing alot longer than alot of us around here.

Last edited:
Pack Mule-

regrind-2k miles
new cam 40k miles
i was told it is about $250 to get your cam reground. just trying to answer your questions and get this thread back on track a bit. that is all the info that i have to offer.

Back