Homemade or Custom cut-off intake/port and polish job.

Yes fully tig welded . Don't really care about how much as it will handle what ever you want to throw at it.

how many bolts did you use to bolt it back up with??
I will be tinkering with mine too as soon as i get it ported and polish it up how i want it.

Lance

Maxtorq, Any dyno pulls yet? I want to see if the new intake and head work will pick-up power? Which cam did you go with? What gov spring did you use? What size of pump is it? How about delivery valves?

I'm still have a hard time thinking that 24v head is better than a 12v with the same amount of head porting? Just the divider blocks between the intake/exhaust side of the head and its hard to get at the intake side even with the plenum off.

has anyone actually seen any gains on putting individual runners on their truck compared to the conventional plenum with the intake "horn"?

Also... yall with bolt on plenums, how many bolts to yall use to bolt your custom intake back on??

Lance

Here is my exhaust side porting before and after.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 160
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 181
Just gonna bump this up. I know there are more people that have pics of their home-done ported heads.

How much can one taki out from around the guides before the structure of the guides get weak?

Lance

how much hp do you get outta ever tenth of csa taken out of a blown motor that dont spin five grand?

how much hp do you get outta ever tenth of csa taken out of a blown motor that dont spin five grand?

I don't think enlarging the cross sectional area is the idea, I thin it's more working on the short side radiuses and smoothing out other transitions, atleast for most in this thread. Other's going down pulling tracks truning gas motor like rpms may benefit from the increase in csa however.

Here is my exhaust side porting before and after.

Be careful taking out that flat spot. About a 1/2" in from the edge of the head is where that water jacket is.

IM007738.jpg

And still no dyno evidence that it is worth the time?

What ??? Porting a head?

My post was a question. I have a ported head, but have not cut the intake off to have that side ported. I have heard everything from same power with 15psi less boost, to no difference. It seems like it would help, but have never seen a before and after to show what $4-5k buys on the track, or on the dyno. If you have info to share, that would be great.

I think I said this in a earlier post , on a 12v valve head cutting the intake off will net you some , mostly in plenum volume .

But in a 24 valve we are worried about numbers 1 and 6 getting sufficiant air .

On a typical street truck that never runs past the 300 hp mark IMO it's a useless mod.

I think I said this in a earlier post , on a 12v valve head cutting the intake off will net you some , mostly in plenum volume .

But in a 24 valve we are worried about numbers 1 and 6 getting sufficiant air .

On a typical street truck that never runs past the 300 hp mark IMO it's a useless mod.

What about a truck that is 800-900 on fuel without intake porting?

What about a truck that is 800-900 on fuel without intake porting?
Ron, do yourself a favor and measure the individual cylinders egt temps. Your findings at 8-900 hp will show cylinders 1 and 6 will have hotter temps, a custom bolt on intake plenum will help this issue.

Question: Why did you apply paint on the inside of the head and plenum? I'd be leery of the paint flaking off from the multitude of heat cycles......

Old timers would do this, when the rules would say "can not smooth the ports" they would paint them...and smooth the paint. Seen my dad do 100's of them with out a problem.