How did you break it?

Blown turbo from over speeding
Head gasket
U-joints from abuse
1 ATS tranny on it's last leg (purple was the mistake)

Blew 5 gear out of nv4500 bog it down in 5 let the boost come on all at once and boom

How much torque do you think your truck was making at the time?

i would have to guess right now will let u know at ts haha was only making 45lb of boost at the time waste gate had a week spring in it so thats all i could make at the time i would say maybe 1000tq idk maybe less

One stock Allison fried in under 1000 tuned miles. lol That is all. Gotta love a Chevy duramax.

exactly. a well built auto is stronger and more reliable than a manual at high power

Well, you his know more about truck transmissions than me, but I kinda doubt that a built auto would compete with a built manual. Besides, many of the guys who broke gears admitted the weren't operating the transmission correctly. Just sayin' :)

how are you going to "build" a manual? :confused:

in a manual transmission, the more power you apply, the harder the two shafts try to press away from eachother. In an automatic, all of the power is transfered through the centerline of the transmission

Good point. I openly admit that I don't know what options are available for truck manual transmissions!

I do know that there are ways to take VW manual transmissions and add strength by widening gears and using cryo treatment on the internals. I assumed this was not unique to VW, assuming is usually a mistake... :)

Forgive me if this is a dumb question... but if your torque is too high at low rpm, why not dial back the fueling at lower rpms a little so that range won't break as much stuff?

^^ or just dont drive like a dumb azz with your foot on the floor on the street.....

Forgive me if this is a dumb question... but if your torque is too high at low rpm, why not dial back the fueling at lower rpms a little so that range won't break as much stuff?

a lot of the available tuning options won't allow that. with a 12 valve, you can control the smack better.

honestly, a bigger turbo is one of the best safeguards against excessive low RPM torque :D

-sheered the teeth on an input shaft locking the T/c out going through a bumpy intersection cuz some jackass ran a red light and I was trying no to get hit.
-snapped the 1-2 apply lever (dropped 2nd) in the trans running pure hydraulic fluid (I run 50/50 type f/hydraulic fluid now with no probs)
that is really the only problems. I dont break parts, I break traction :lolly:

Two stock turbos from overspeeding.
Fifth gear nut came loose, it was an easy fix.
Fried two stock replacement organic singles, and one valair ceramic single welded. Doing stupid stuff.
Stock bearings both died at the same time, replaced with EMS freespin kit.
Vacum shifter died in the middle of a half frozen hay field, replaced with a one piece axle shaft.
Valve dropped 5k miles after a rebuild, not real sure why. I think it was from the cam I had in at the time.

Moral of my story for the most part is that stock or very near stock trucks last a lot longer than trucks that make a bunch of power. Oh and don't drive like a ritard.

But now its built and I ain't have to worry about it ever again. Look how may guys in this thread broke thier manual transmissions.....
the one my brother broke was at the end of the track and commin out of the fuel and yes he still won in 5th low

exactly. a well built auto is stronger and more reliable than a manual at high power

:umno: i would take a manual any day over a auto but we will see this season i am buildin a 12 puller for a guy and he just dropped $6500 in a auto