How did you break it?

manual_tranny

Cummins & TDI Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I'd like to modify my truck someday, and I wad hoping you all could share your experiences with breaking stuff! (And potentially help me make better decisions when modifying)

Axles, suspension, engine,transfer case or tranny... Just tell your story!

When possible, please list the relevant details... Type of truck, how many ft/lbs, what gear, how many miles before failure, etc.

I'm just trying to get a consensus of how much torque and abuse these various components have withstood. Thanks for your responses, should be entertaining! :D

Blew headgaskets from not letting truck warm up completly with t-stat opening. Broke 3rd gear in an nv4500 once cause i didnt have the shifter completly in gear.(half in half out) this happend on two different trucks. headgaskets on a 7.3 and a 5.9 12v. nv4500 was in a 96 2500 with about 400 rwhp.

Burned the rings out and scored a cylinder wall by having too much fuel and not enough air, keeping my foot in it for too long on a drag race or something.

Thanks for the responses, and I should add, sorry to hear about them!

That is the first time I've ever heard of a half engaged gear breaking. Makes sense, new to me. Good to know, thanks!

dont slam and do 3rd gear burnouts with to much traction with that nv4500 or it will brake constantly with anything over 400hp.. ive broke about 7 over the last 15 years.

cranking the rail box wide open on the dyno with no rail relief and blowed a injector top off

what year truck do you have? they all have their own weak spots...

I'm knocking on wood, but over the course of 10 years and ~15 trucks and LOTS of miles, the only two real failures I've had were:

I blew the hub out of a 10.5" South Bend clutch. I was able to limp the truck home, just had to match revs.

The other was I blew a head gasket on one of my 12v's. It had ~175k on the stock head gasket. had studs dropped in it, 18.5* timing, and 50psi out of a set of 35/3B twins. It leaked to a coolant passage. I probably could have limped it anywhere if I took it easy on it... It was lifting under high boost.

that's about it

My 02 broke my wallet several times! I think the worst was looking 3rd gear in my 5600. No 3rd gear burnouts. :badidea:

My 02 broke my wallet several times! I think the worst was looking 3rd gear in my 5600. No 3rd gear burnouts. :badidea:

Not sure what happened there, it was supposed to say breaking! I need a nap!

i blew a head gasket at 540hp by not letting it warm up. cracked the #2 cylinder from top to bottom in a 53 block at 636hp. shredded a stock flex plate at 636hp doing locked shift to 3rd gear. and most recently bent the push rods at a truck pull over 4000rpms. there's some other stuff but all minor that let me get home.

I ran Crin 3 injectors instead of Crin 1.6s with a 5.9 ECM and head. Melt down. The new balanced motor is sweet though. :D

It's a good thing credit cards can only metaphorically cry. I couldn't handle the *****ing.

Dropped a valve seat in my 12v. They don't come from the factory with them but long story short I ended up with them after they were abused. Trashed a piston, scored a wall. Then spun a bearing putting it back together (my fault). Now its bored .020 over and running smooth. If you ever take a motor apart, get it internally balanced.

I'm guessing by your choice of screen names that this one won't help you much, but I toasted the stock converter in my 98 12 valve at 122k. Truck was only making 275ish horse, but the previously mentioned stupid driving and heavy towing did it in in a hurry.

just recently and still in the process of rebuilding my 06 cr. two injectors, cracked piston, two scored cylinder walls, and 12 cracked rings. has 125k on it and started moding it at 100k. was running crazy larry, mp8, 90s, 62 htt. need less to say, wallets not happy...

Snapped the output shaft/ end of the Main shaft in my NV5600 at TS 08 sled pull. Dumping the clutch in second gear high range is a no no. Had an injector (stock) stick open from too many electronic add-ons at a pull later that year. Never touched the truck, and after a few times of cranking it up to diagnose if it was an injector, piston, or head gasket, the injector worked its way loose and started operating normal again by its self. I just ran a smarty after that and used 2 stroke oil with every tank and never had a problem after that. The new owner of the truck hasn't had any trouble with them either.

Shelled my stock auto trans from drag racing.
shattered my right rear axle shaft rock crawling. Got the front wedged in a rock and gave it too much petal.
ripped the ears off my right front axle shaft towing a busted jeep out of a valley in the mountains
destroyed the stock rear limited slip over time offroading and dragracing
also used to go through unit bearings every couple months. I had a lifetime warranty from Napa, but they were getting pissed.

replaced stock dana 60 with a 60 from a 95 ford F350
replaced the stock trans with a Goerend trans
replaced the rear 32 spline shafts with 35 spline Yukons
replaced the front shaft with a Yukon
replaced the stock limited slip with a 35 spline detroit locker

slip'd stock auto, pop'd a head gasket, 24V rad, IC, bumper fenders and hood died in a head to head match with a telephone pole..... got truck fixed, me and a buddy painted it and did some body work... got it lookin spiffy again... blew the spider gears out of a Dana80 rear doing burnouts.... then this winter jumped a Hyundai on the trans canada on the way to BC from saskatchewan... my truck ate her car and only need a new lift kit, 4 rims, 2 tires a new dana80 (drums instead of discs this time {horrible}) and a few other small parts.

96 dodge aka "The Hyundai killer" or "RadMaxx"... owned it for 2 years now.