I want shop pictures..

We went with a 5-6" slab with #4 rebar,I need to be able to pull in a 23k payloader.

QUOTE=D45;1986767]What's the average thickness for concrete floors in most shops?

Are those fiber strands good addition for strength or should cross mess be used?

Are the floors in your shops completely flat or are you grading them for drainage?

Our timber frame shop is 2 foot reinforced. :lolly:

We load our 2 axle+tag flatdeck close to 100k. It's around 40k empty with it's crane. It's around 100x120.

Is there anyone on here that can do archetectural (sp?) drawings? My son in law had a great idea,, why not add on to the existing garage and make it more useful... my wife is on board as long as I can make it work with the house....

I can do it if you have good pictures, some measurements and some hand sketches etc you can email me. Im not an architect, but do CAD work for a living and love messing with this stuff on the side.

I can do it if you have good pictures, some measurements and some hand sketches etc you can email me. Im not an architect, but do CAD work for a living and love messing with this stuff on the side.

Me too, Kevin. If I can help you out, I'd be more than happy to. :D

I just start with 2x4's and go from there. LOL

This is the downstairs before I added all the windows and door openings.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys,, I will get some pics of the house this weekend. If the snow isnt too deep I will get some measurements too.

Me too, Kevin. If I can help you out, I'd be more than happy to. :D

I just start with 2x4's and go from there. LOL

This is the downstairs before I added all the windows and door openings.

attachment.php

I see you use soildworks for more then work also. I designed up a 40x60 shop/garage for a cabin with the front 20x30 being a house with huge vaulted ceilns that would face the lake. Showed it to the wife she shot it down before I could say here is the front door. "i'm not living in a dam garage"

Mike

56B76125-EEEA-4B81-B8AA-7BD5E9418CCD-26927-000044DB81C98BFF.jpg

This pad is 37 deep (as you are facing) and 25 wide

759C4101-A12E-4C99-8C2A-176D2BD02543-26927-000044DB73C6F4CF.jpg

From the bedroom window to the edge of the garage is 93" there is a 24" overhang for the eaves.

9DA6C3CA-5BBB-4810-A3FB-9AAB6D801DCA-26927-000044DB6D233F88.jpg

Somehow I have to make the shop work in with this

8092AF3F-21E5-4319-83E2-8D336F4C32F7-26927-000044DB5705FFED.jpg

This kinda gives an idea as to how the roof works.. I think I could follow the slope and eliminate the drop off to the garage

079D9940-A7DB-469F-B9B0-2FFCFAA82079-26927-000044DB4F00C69B.jpg

a slightly different angle

9F16740D-95FC-4AFA-A692-8116A39660C6-26911-000044DAD9B67296-1.jpg

From the edge of the existing pad

I would like to put a 1 or 2 foot wall around the outside of the pad, and add approx 5 feet to the width (to allow for a sump), I would pin the existing pad to the foundation wall. This would make the outiside walls of the new part slightly larger than the existing garage

What do you think?

are you thinking of just extending the current garage out? maybe doubling its size? Maybe add more room to 2nd floor. looks like a laundry room on that wall above garage from pics.

I have no ideas for u, but that is a killer house. That has got to be around 5k sqft.

Nah, it is only 1900. But thank you, we really like the house

Yeah I am thinking about extending the existing garage, right now the doors are in a stupid location, it is very hard to get into the garage, (requires a minimum 2 point turn to get the dually into the garage). The window above the garage is the bedroom. And the wife has told me that I cant wreck her view... so I would like to make a walkout deck from the bedroom over the garage.. there is quite good ceiling height in the existing garage, so I think that if I design it properly and put in special rafters I can get enough height for a hoist

Wow the place looks huge, wouldn't it be easier to do something detached? It seems like if u mess with that much structure it could be a can of worms.

Wow the place looks huge, wouldn't it be easier to do something detached? It seems like if u mess with that much structure it could be a can of worms.

not if it was built right to being with. How much "height" do you need?

Well the existing garage has 10 foot ceilings, so I dont think that 12 foot should be a problem in the new part.

I am in the process of determining cost, try to compare to a seperate shop.. but I cant see how it would be more expensive, a good chunk of the concrete is already there, I only have to build 3 walls, I dont have to run power, gas and water accross the yard. the only thing that should be more expensive is the rafters (because of all the peaks and valleys needed to match the house) PLUS, how much nicer is it to just go into your shop from the house without having to go outside...

Can you just run the garage on out and put the doors on the other sidewall so that you can pull your vehicles straight in and use the are on the side where your original parking was as the shop part?

Yeah I think so,, I dont see why not. My biggest concern is making the roofline match the house... and I have to have drawings to prove to my wife that it will look good,, lol

Lost of good looking shops, giving me a few ideas on what to do with mine. I have a 30x40 with a 24x40 leanto on the side of it.

I have an idea in my head, just gotta get time to draw it in CAD...not sure if the Mrs. is gonna approve of it tho if you said she doesn't want her bedroom view obstructed.

The shop with my truck backed into it is what I have been working out of my entire life. Worked for what we did but I did a couple wagon repairs/builds outside because they obviously would not go in. The giant building is my new shop, for the time being. That is way big for what I need and there is another building with 3-12ft roll up doors, 15ft ceilings and surrounded by dirt on 3 sides so it stays cool in the summer.

And my truck would back all the way in, just had a garden tractor in the back of there during that picture

So if anyone is in the oil business and needs a building to rent in southeastern Ohio, I got a shop and 3 other buildings that would be perfect for you!! lol

Attachments

• shophome.jpg
    shophome.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: