I want shop pictures..

I have pretty much decided on going 40x 60, with 16' walls. We have good clay here. I am also planning on doing infloor heat too

Good clay ha! the clay here is terrible. I'm learning there may be a couple rules about having a home on the land you build a shop on. I may have to either build my house first, or build a home with the "shop" attatched. i may however be able to get away with it if i do it slabless and have some cows on my land. (add the slab later) get a permit to build a "storage" structure. we will see.

Trying to get ahold of the county as we speak.

If you pour a slab, I might recommend you use PEX pipe for your water and sleeve it with oversize poly pipe. We bought black, thin walled, poly and sleeved all our water in the slab. If you break a line. Just cut both ends, pull it out, push new through, and put on new ends. $.02

Just another random thought that might help you out.

Do you think it would cause any heat loss doing it that way Jory?

I wouldn't think so. I placed all the bathroom stuff in one corner with the hot water heater on the back side of that wall so the only thing that has to wait for heat is the kitchen sink 30 ft away and the washing machine 35 ft away. If anything, I would think it would hold heat once it the water warms it up. No sure on the actual answer since I deal with electrons. LOL

I wouldn't ever expect PEX to burst or leak....but I also wouln't tee or put fittings in the walls. I'd run all single shot runs to a utility point and manifold them together with a shut off on each hot and cold line. If the kitchen sink faucet leaks...just turn it off, not the rest of the house. It is a little extra cost, but some 90 deg ball valves and extra fittings are sure worth it to me. I really like it this way.

keeping a shop at 45-50* in then winter aint hard.. then heat the living quarter to disired temp.. cousing did that for a while.. he parked the 30' rv in the shop and heated then rv to 70-80* which held really well.. since there is no wind blowing..

been thinking about something like these for a while now

Absolutely ^^^^. I have a 175BTU forced air heat in the shop (Redi-Heater) and only use it when I'm out there. I've yet to see the inside of the shop below 39-40F even if the temps outside are well below freezing. I have one door in the shop to the outside, a 20ft wide by 10' tall insulated metal door. If you do radiant floor heating in the entire slab, you wouldn't have to heat either. I sooo wish I would have done that.

My garage I have now has in floor heating,, and it is the bomb,, I wont do without it again.. the new house has in floor heating for the basement and the garage

If you pour a slab, I might recommend you use PEX pipe for your water and sleeve it with oversize poly pipe. We bought black, thin walled, poly and sleeved all our water in the slab. If you break a line. Just cut both ends, pull it out, push new through, and put on new ends. $.02

Just another random thought that might help you out.

that is genious! i also came up with another idea yesterday. when i do my slab around my lift i am going to install buckets under the lift for in floor lights!

I wouldn't think so. I placed all the bathroom stuff in one corner with the hot water heater on the back side of that wall so the only thing that has to wait for heat is the kitchen sink 30 ft away and the washing machine 35 ft away.

Why would one need to heat water that is already "hot"?:kick:

Why would one need to heat water that is already "hot"?:kick:

Da hell R U talkin' 'bout, Willis? When water comes into the house it is cold. We don't have seperate Cold and Hot water towers out here in Logan County. LOL

You said "hot water heater", it's a water heater. One would not need to heat water that is already "hot"!

Well....ain't that just the little foxpauw of the day you found there. LOL

Cork it, Loren. LOL

It's a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure you will catch me at one time or another calling a switch open when it is really closed. I do that all the time, and I hate that to.

Anybody with the floor heat have complaints of getting hot when under a vehicle?
When we did dads we insulated around the footers with styrofoam and just have the stove, stays warm with no cold feet.

there has to be more guys out there with a nice back yard shop... pictures lets go... more details. dont make me sign up on the garage journal....