Inline ISUZU into Ford almost complete!!

I am taking a break to let the gasket maker setup and get a drink so here are some pics.

here you can see how much I had to remove from the governer housing to make it work, I had to remove even more from the engine block.

This shows the mods to the oil cooler, I had to make the bolt shorter on one side so the tail of the pump would fit and allow me to tune the pump since the adjustments are at the rear.

This shows the rest of the mods to the oil cooler. I had to grind the bottom section quite a bit and also ground two of the bolt bosses down, I used countersunk allen bolts to give even more clearance and it all turned out well.

Here is the injection pump installed. You wont believe it but it went right inthe first stab I guess all those installs and removals helped out. I was afraid it would be a pain since the timing mark is almost impossible to keep in one place since it must sit on the crest of the cam lobe, I assume. If you dont get the mark set perfectly it will roll either way a good 3".

Here is the valve cover I made with the fittings installed, the side fitting is a -10 an and will attach a 5/8 hose to the breather tank, then from the breather tank a line will go back down to the oil pan to drain any excess oil. The third photo shows the attaching setup I made for the valve cover so I could use nice looking button head bolts.

when u said that u were goin to use hydraulic fittings for the valve cover cap i was a littler lery of how it would look but now that i see it looks good, so what color are u powder coating it

Thanks, I am not sure what color to paint it just yet but it will be a little while before I do it, I am actually getting tired of having to work on it, I want to drive it for a while and enjoy it. I know it wont be much longer and I will have it torn apart again for the new tranny, I have pretty much decided to go with the 4l85 and gear vendors overdrive for an 8spd auto :)

I all looks good nothing wrong with the wilwood system made things easier for you.I doo alot of thing like you did with the cap for the valve cover that just means you have a goof imagination.A big thumbs up to you.

Dale

My vote is to polish the valve cover.but I like alot of shinny stuff:woohoo:

Dale

Thanks, I am not sure what color to paint it just yet but it will be a little while before I do it, I am actually getting tired of having to work on it, I want to drive it for a while and enjoy it. I know it wont be much longer and I will have it torn apart again for the new tranny, I have pretty much decided to go with the 4l85 and gear vendors overdrive for an 8spd auto :)

Good choice on the tranny!

If it was me, I'd powder coat the valve cover as its really time consuming to keep it polished and looking good. just my 2cents

Yeah I think that I would have went with the 4l85 too all the work u would have done get the allison to work i dont think it would have been worth I think the allison is a little over rated.

brayden says he can make the alli a real easy, 5-wire (I think that's what he said - power, ground, t/h wire, od lo, wire and maybe something else??) plug-n-play affair FWIW. Remember, he's done a few behind Cummins already. Bound to have something figured out. ;)

stand alone 4l85 might work alright so long as the power isn't real high and you are real careful about making power going into OD. That's my understanding from MikeL anyways.

C-ya

super lite truck and an easy little motor (LOL) I'd get a built 48 and be done with it. I think an Allison would be a mistake for this truck. Lite trucks that can go Zip-Zip----zip spinning the wheels 1,2,3,4 gears tend to break stuff. It's not the going up that kills the trans....it's the STOP that ker-plodes them. You can take almost anything from '0' to 'whatever' stupid quick but stopping is easy and THAT's where ya kill it. Gears bind or heavy stuff just slings all to pieces. If it has wicked internal holding power......it just makes it that much worse. my .02 worth.

Then again, whatever Carcrafter does I'm sure it will done right.

MikeL said the setup I am looking at using should handle the 500rwhp I am planning on max. The 4l85 from an 06 or 07 chevy van with a duramax already has hardened internal parts. I will use a billet steel tripple disc converter from precision converters and alto clutches along with a transgo shift kit.

The pcs controller will handle up to 6 gears on its own so I can have the standard 4 gears from the 4l85e along with activating the gear vendors overdrive automaticly and I still have the option to operate it manually if I want to for 8 gears.

the gear ratio's I will use most often using the pcs controller

1st 2.48
2nd 1.93 (GV o/d)
3rd 1.48
4th 1.00
5th 0.75
6th 0.59 (GV o/d)

Notice the nice close ratios that will keep things right in the power band as long as I can get quick shifts it should be a nice setup.
These will all be automaticly operated by the controller, I especially like the 6th gear, I can run some 3.55 gears and still get great mileage at highway speeds. When I want to go fast I can just push a button and the pcs controller will go to a different set of shift tables so I can rap it out to 4500-5000 rpm's if I want and disable the double overdrives so I dont tear anything up. Woo Hooo, should make for a fun ride. One of the biggest downsides of the allison is shift timing and makeing it shift fast the 4l85 can shift very fast with the transgo jr and some tuning.

Lets also not forget this setup will be bolt in with only a crossmember change, the allison would require trans tunnel mods most likely.

I did get the truck running today but dont have video due to a crazy air leak in the fuel system. I found a leak on three of the four injector lines and a leak at the fuel filter housing, all have been fixed but air is still getting in somewhere. I can completely bleed the system and it fires up fast and idles perfectly smooth but after about 20 - 30 seconds it starts idling like crap then dies. I have retightened every connection 2-3 times now with no change. I honestly dont know where air is getting in. Evrery thing in the fuel system is new except the injectors and injector lines otherwise fromt he fuel tank to the injection pump its all new and has been quadrupal checked then checked again. I'm taking my daughter fishing in the morning to take a break from this thing.

Last edited:
two...... who's liftpump and how's the pick-up and cup set in the tank?

A 4L85E or a 4L85? It's been a while but I believe the difference is the planets. E= 5 and 5 = 4. LOL I made a funny....or a paradox? :hehe:

Who is this Mike L fella? .......... :poke:

I'm try'n here, I'm try'n. :Cheer:

awesome, sounds like you got the right setup in mind then. Should be real sweet!!