Issues after cam install

What rods are in this? Also is there a change of engine tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only engine mods are 188/220 cam, arp 425s and 110lb springs

Actually yes, it almost has a hollow sound... If that makes any sense.

I would say there are other issues. I cam won't "hurt" performance. I would check the rods. Just cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Check your compression? Possibly head gasket blown between cylinders? That will make it smoke and laggy.

Not to hijack this thread ..... @ Rab38, will a blown head gasket between cylinders cause the motor to also start hard and not burn all the fuel in the cylinders .... I am having the same issue and cannot seem to get it resolved?

Not to hijack this thread ..... @ Rab38, will a blown head gasket between cylinders cause the motor to also start hard and not burn all the fuel in the cylinders .... I am having the same issue and cannot seem to get it resolved?

If its blown bad enough to keep the cylinder from making and compression, yes.

Thanks .... going to run compression check, this thing has been kicking my ARSE ..... always seems to act like the timing is off and sometimes throws a flame out of the stack....then I retime and something else comes up.....appreciate the insight and allowing me to comment in this thread.

If the lash was loosened up a touch and you did not see a gain in spool with the effectively shorter duration then the cam might not be the issue. that being said, if you want to try a smaller cam, p.m. me and I will work something out with you. So that we can isolate variables, can you tell me the charger, injector, exhaust manifold and tuning of the 5 trucks. As setups change, we are more than happy to come up with new grinds to work with different setups. If you find yourself in Texas, feel free to sit on the dyno and play with tuning and cams..........

If the lash was loosened up a touch and you did not see a gain in spool with the effectively shorter duration then the cam might not be the issue. that being said, if you want to try a smaller cam, p.m. me and I will work something out with you. So that we can isolate variables, can you tell me the charger, injector, exhaust manifold and tuning of the 5 trucks. As setups change, we are more than happy to come up with new grinds to work with different setups. If you find yourself in Texas, feel free to sit on the dyno and play with tuning and cams..........

I got this cam cause it is what you recommended. I messaged you the set ups on Facebook and I have another truck to add to the list.

I don't see myself being in Texas any time Soon but I can go sit in Innovatives dyno and play all day if I want.

If you think its the cam, put the stock one back in...4 hours working hard. I have always used hamiltons cams and a lot of the 188/220 and have always had gains in spool up time. I would think something else is up, but its not that big of a job to change to try.

If you think its the cam, put the stock one back in...4 hours working hard. I have always used hamiltons cams and a lot of the 188/220 and have always had gains in spool up time. I would think something else is up, but its not that big of a job to change to try.

That is my last resort. I am going to look into every other option at the moment.

Do you still have the stock intercooler? Not too hard to swap that back over.

Do you still have the stock intercooler? Not too hard to swap that back over.

No, but if I needed one I can put a BD one in.

I'm looking at similarities between all these trucks with the same issues. Intercooler is only my truck

Shouldnt be any overlap on that cam. So either slipping past the rings or your valves arent seated well. Have you ran a compression test?