Issues after cam install

FOUR CYLINDERS!! OUCH! Hopefully head gasket. Was there blow by?

No blow by... At all. Trucks never dripped a thing.

Coolant was a little low. I never noticed...

Hopefully... What do you guys think on O rings? Machine shop supports them 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep thinking it can't be too bad. We were out ripping in it this weekend. Never went over 200*. No oil. Just the abundant amount of smoke on my street and race tune

The weird thing I've had with the MLS gaskets all these newer motors run is you get the head off and there might not be anything obvious on the sealing surfaces and then you're dying stuff hoping you don't throw it back together with the original problem.

subscribing. im runnning a whole new setup so i cant say its the cam but mines a dog down low too. also running a 188/220 i purchased around feb and installed this summmer. thinking about going back to stock myself to see what happens. not trying to hijack but i want to see where this goes. thanks guys

What ended up being problem? Did you ever swap stock cam back in?

A combination of the cam and head gasket.

Cam is still in. Head gaskets fresh. I still hate it.

Although the it's funny how it's no longer the go to cam anymore.

Did you happen to do a compression or leakdown test after replacing the head gasket to see if it fixed a problem? You say truck was fine before cam IC and dual cp3? Check rail pressure to make sure you don't have a bad cp3 since that was done at the same time as the cam swap. Eliminate the variables one at a time. I don't think it's the cam. Troubleshoot before you throw parts at it.

I think that truck has made some 1100hp blasts on the dyno since. Pretty certain the cp3's are managing. ?

FTR , my truck has an old school Fletcher DP3 cam and with tuning by Rich at Dogouse, this thing lights dang Quick on the street and strip. But the stock cam in my older trucks seemed to spool well too.

Did you happen to do a compression or leakdown test after replacing the head gasket to see if it fixed a problem? You say truck was fine before cam IC and dual cp3? Check rail pressure to make sure you don't have a bad cp3 since that was done at the same time as the cam swap. Eliminate the variables one at a time. I don't think it's the cam. Troubleshoot before you throw parts at it.

I was blaming the cam for issues related to the blown head gasket that presented themselves after the cam, inter cooler and duals were installed.

It is better now but still isn't perfect. It hazes at idle, and anything below 2k is just lacking. It's not that it doesn't spool quick but it doesn't compare to other trucks I've seen and been in with an oem cam.

I am fairly certain when i build a motor for this truck it will use a different cam.

I was blaming the cam for issues related to the blown head gasket that presented themselves after the cam, inter cooler and duals were installed.

It is better now but still isn't perfect. It hazes at idle, and anything below 2k is just lacking. It's not that it doesn't spool quick but it doesn't compare to other trucks I've seen and been in with an oem cam.

I am fairly certain when i build a motor for this truck it will use a different cam.

Run it on the dyno and get a graph. Throw stock cam in. Do the same. Easy to find problems of there is one.

Run it on the dyno and get a graph. Throw stock cam in. Do the same. Easy to find problems of there is one.

Yeah that would definitely show my hazey idle.

All it would show is power curve changing. I'd bet money peak power wouldn't change at all.

Yeah that would definitely show my hazey idle.

All it would show is power curve changing. I'd bet money peak power wouldn't change at all.

Only way to find out is try both of them
Back to back. And after you get off the dyno then you can run it on the street and see if the idle haze changed. I would be cheap labor to do the job if you wanna try it. I don't see how the cam causes the haze. If you are close Columbus let me know. Would be a cheap way to take care of haze

Last edited: