Issues after cam install

I may have missed this already ..... I would reverify cam degree....same guy put in all the cams?

cams

I put my cam in myself. Kind of weird though, it didn't come with a spec sheet or any type of instructions. I lined up the timing marks and had the machine shop check piston to valve clearances.

Just spoke to the machine shop regarding my cam. They said the 188.220 is a mid- top end cam. Also said pretty much everyone who has one expects it to be lazy down low (everyone they have set up) I'm pretty much fine with it as I selected the cam for this truck. I love the way she pulls up top. I'm going to install a bd spool valve and just drive it.

Your cam is not timed correctly and that is your problem...stock is 88...yours needs a little more than that...

Your valves are opening and closing to close together causing you to lose compression...

HamiltonVSStockertransient.jpg

Its not the cam grind. Back when I tested cam to cam nothing else was changed and the transient sweep was identical. This graph was the best 188-220 vs the baseline stock and was kind of an anomaly as they really did just follow the exact same line. If there was any kind of loss of spool it would have showed as power loss in the bottom.

We're running the biggest injectors to be had and lower than stock compression and there is zero haze.

Spool from one truck in the cool of night vs mid day is a really poor comparison to boot.

Interested in knowing more about this topic. As I'm starting to build my new 06 common rail I recently acquired, and a new cam is among my parts list. Would I be better off leaving the stocker in place??

If you plan on staying under 4000 rpm there is nothing wrong with the stock cam. Put the cam money into a kick ass charger.

If you plan on staying under 4000 rpm there is nothing wrong with the stock cam. Put the cam money into a kick ass charger.

I wish I would of done just that. I don't need the rpm. I only wanted the spool. Which I didn't get.

So 88 centerline is stock? Well in that case my truck should literally be the fastest spooling truck ever, correct?

I am one of the five guys. Running a steed speed Mani, Wilson intake mani, fleece s468, 80% overs , 10.6 mm stroker, ported head, mahle ceramic coated pistons .020" over. And a 188.220. It has no balls down low. What so ever. S468 lag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VoaTm8zpFc here is a video of it.

Hmm, This has me wondering on what kind of port job did you get? I would run the flow numbers from the port job past Zach and see what he thinks.

Having a compression test done to see if anything is wrong inside the motor.

Talked to 2 guys this weekend who had this cam as a "drop in" and it caused pistons to meet valves. Not sure if they are on here though.

At this point I have decided to just put the stock cam back in.

So by the end of the season I hope to have 150% 75/87 and stock cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compression was low on 4 cylinders.

Heads coming off tomorrow or next day.

Might of blamed the cam prematurely. Hopefully I'm not opening it up to smashed valves and pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk