meltdown -- common rail style

I'm only running 26k psi in the rail which is only slightly above bosch spec at 23,700psi,

If you are using the stock rail pressure sensor it max's out at 26K psi.:poke: You could be running 35K psi for all you know ;)

If you are using the stock rail pressure sensor it max's out at 26K psi.:poke: You could be running 35K psi for all you know ;)

I thought it was 27K?

Well, maybe my guage is off a bit cause I've seen 27+K on the dipricol...

That really sucks. I was hoping you could make it up to Ponci's event.

RonA

I thought it was 27K?

Well, maybe my guage is off a bit cause I've seen 27+K on the dipricol...

The rail pressure sensor is a standard 0-5v sensor with it's operating range being from 0.5v (0 psi) to 4.5v (26.1k psi) The max. reading on the display all depends on how the voltage ramp on the gauge itself is programmed/calibrated. Will the sensor output above 4.5v? It can. Is it accurate above that? NO!!!

The rail pressure sensor is a standard 0-5v sensor with it's operating range being from 0.5v (0 psi) to 4.5v (26.1k psi) The max. reading on the display all depends on how the voltage ramp on the gauge itself is programmed/calibrated. Will the sensor output above 4.5v? It can. Is it accurate above that? NO!!!

Kewl! Thanks

Sorry to hear about this JP. I hope you find out the cause. It sucks not knowing why something failed, and it makes it tough making sure it doesn't happen again.

My $.02 worth...I don't think it was high EGT's, but I do think there were high cylinder temps.

Paul

Sorry to hear about this JP. I hope you find out the cause. It sucks not knowing why something failed, and it makes it tough making sure it doesn't happen again.

My $.02 worth...I don't think it was high EGT's, but I do think there were high cylinder temps.

Paul

So, way high pressure over coming timing 4 and creating a huge fuel advance?

I didn't think north of 30K of pressure could cause that much advance

shoot, sorry to hear this JP, hope you get it going again. truck looked like it was running very well at the last couple of pulls.

Could 30k plus fuel pressure be causing the injectors not to close properly untill the pressure drops back into normal peramiters. If the injector does not close when it should it would cause fuel to puddle in the bowl and fire way before the injector sprays. Just a thought but I could be wrong.

Joe

Sorry to see the cranage JP!
Let me know how I can help. I WILL!

BTW you guys are correct, on the TNTR tune timing # 4 is the lowest timing level. I would rule out the timing as the culprit.

Marco

That could be a possibilty. Where is your pyro probe located? manifold? downpipe? With that big of an injector and it cleaning the smoke up as much as the video showed, it seemed it could be way more rail pressure than what was showing causing it to over optimize. I run a set of 120hp injectors, FloorIt2 pump, TNTR- RP4-Timing3. My smoke doesn't clear up near as much as yours (see avatar). If it were leaking injectors, wouldn't it have alot more smoke, if not grey/white smoke?

Last edited:

BTW you guys are correct, on the TNTR tune timing # 4 is the lowest timing level. I would rule out the timing as the culprit.

Marco

Is #4 lower then stock timing?

Are you going to send your flux s out to F1 to have em checked

That really sucks. I was hoping you could make it up to Ponci's event.

RonA

Paul

shoot, sorry to hear this JP, hope you get it going again. truck looked like it was running very well at the last couple of pulls.

Marco

Thanks guys.

As for the rail pressure, I dial up the mp8 until the pressure quits rising on the gauge. At 70% or so I see 25k max. At 80% it reaches 26k, which is where I stop. I've had it up to 100% on the dyno a couple times.

-jp

Back