meltdown -- common rail style

IIRC, stock timing is the lowest avail.

Well. This kinda info is kinda, never been confirmed from anyone at Smarty.

I'm still wondering if there really is a difference between #6 and #7, assuming you adjust the options to be the same on both (not on default/0). Never got an answer on that front either.

So, way high pressure over coming timing 4 and creating a huge fuel advance?

I didn't think north of 30K of pressure could cause that much advance

I didn't say it was caused by advance, or by high pressure. I don't think it's caused by either to be honest. I don't know what the cause is, but I don't think either of those are it.

Paul

I didn't say it was caused by advance, or by high pressure. I don't think it's caused by either to be honest. I don't know what the cause is, but I don't think either of those are it.

Paul

That's fine. But the kinda off topic question was asked and I'm curious what exactly is less or more. :)

Simply put, I believe a re-entrant lip would solve the issue.

Is this the difference between the 03-04 and the 04.5+ pistons. Seems to me I hear about pistons melting more on the 04.5 engines. What is the differences in the spray pattern on the injector tips between the two?

04.5-06-124* spray angle
03-04-143* spray angle

(don't throw things at me, just asking possibly stupid questions)

Do folks like DonM change that angle slightly tighter when making the holes bigger? Is that even possible? Is suppose it could be if he has his own custom tips made for injectors.

Here's why I ask. When they EDM the tips to make the hole bigger in a nut shell right? So if angle "A" now has a bigger hole the diameter of the fuel/spray is over all wider. Example. Straw vs hose, it's pointed at the same thing and smack it dead in the middle, bit instead of covering your nose, your entire face is splashed....

So, if you don't change the angle down a little into the bowl would not the top part of the spray make it out? perhaps causing this issue and in effect causing a hi-timing effect?

How far fetched am I here?

As far as the timing question, I'm not clear if Marco included stock timing in his comment and where does stock timing fit into the highest to lowest timing? Hence my question.

(2)Aftermarket -> (3)huge after market -> (1)stock -> (4)huge + N2o?

I just melted a piston in my 06 #4 piston im running the smarty mp8 stack... I ran #2rp #1timing for stock injectors... I had twin cp3, fass 150 , custom eep turbo,intercooler, smarty/mp8 stack... I think my rail pressure is what caused my injectors to break... 93k on stock injectors at 29k rail pressure....

This sucks!!!! Whew,,, I am all sick just thinking about it and it isn't even my truck..LOL Hope you figure out what happened so we all can learn.

Quick question for everyone about these melted pistons?

How many of the motors melting pistons are STOCK compression and how many are DECOMPRESSED???

Would this have anything to do with it??

When I melted my #4, it was stock compression....But I definately had an injector acting up...

Or is this strictly going to be injector, spray pattern, egt related???

I personally don't think its just EGT related....

That could be a possibilty. Where is your pyro probe located? manifold? downpipe? With that big of an injector and it cleaning the smoke up as much as the video showed, it seemed it could be way more rail pressure than what was showing causing it to over optimize. I run a set of 120hp injectors, FloorIt2 pump, TNTR- RP4-Timing3. My smoke doesn't clear up near as much as yours (see avatar). If it were leaking injectors, wouldn't it have alot more smoke, if not grey/white smoke?

What turbos are you running?

What elevation are you pulling at.

I'm running a 64/14/71 over S480 at 100'.

define consevitive egt. your smoke looked very lean

ted
sorry I missed your post earlier. I think 1400* is considered conservative as a maximum egt for a sled puller.
BTW, I'd like to talk to you about a conversion.

Leaning out a diesel electronically (i.e. de-fueling at high rpm) is naughty... I believe (Overfueled) had the same thing happen to his truck when he went down the 1/4 mile with 5.13's and ran against the governor most of the track...

Like others have said (les) -- there has to be something happening at high rpms that isn't happening at the lower rpms.

I never saw over about 1500 degrees on mine and melted all 6 pistons with ceramic coat. I think we all need steel pistons.....

tell us more about the conditions when you melted yours.

I just melted a piston in my 06 #4 piston im running the smarty mp8 stack.QUOTE]

do you have pics of the piston?

I have stock compression.... I also think mine was def. a injector issue and not egt.. my valves look fine, if there was alot of heat it would be in all the cylinders not just #4.

My old piston.....Only one...No sled pulling, just track....Not sure on egts or when it happened....was still running and made 584 HP on a single 62 just before teardown......pretty positive it was a cracked/ bad injector..

Melted Piston.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

Geez, this sure makes things interesting for the big hp CR guys. I know Don Morrison has always been a big proponent of water, and I sure am glad I have it too, even if it is just a cheap little kit. I see 100-200 degree reduction when spraying with 2 625 ml/min nozzles. I hate to see this for anyone but I am sure J.P. will do what I would do, build it bigger and better. When my shizzle takes a dump it's billet rods and Mahle pistons foo shore.

Big Swole, you piston looks like it melted differently, almost as if the injector hung open and just sprayed and sprayed at times. How did the cylinder walls look on your melt down?

Has anyone thought that HP is directly related to cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressure is very closely related to combustion temperature. And pushing 900 HP out of a 325 HP engine for 30 seconds equates to a ton of heat. Maybe nothing is wrong or happened, you just made a butt load of HP for too long.

Although you do wonder how the promod guys get away with sled pulling with so much HP and heat. Maybe water injection is the key to making these motors last under such extreme heat and pressure.

Big Swole, you piston looks like it melted differently, almost as if the injector hung open and just sprayed and sprayed at times. How did the cylinder walls look on your melt down?

Injector was causing me problems...ended up not even starting unless I either'd it....actually had the injector body warrantied and it ran fine until I found the damage when I pulled the head..

Cyl. wall was fine on that hole...It honed standard...no boring or sleeving required..

What turbos are you running?

What elevation are you pulling at.

I'm running a 64/14/71 over S480 at 100'.

I have a very similar truck to yours so I'm watching this very close. I have Flux 3.4 injectors, a 13 instead of 14, stock cam, and 300 elevation. I've got an EGT probe in my front 3 and my back 3, the front has a recall. The Front always reads 200-300 hotter and when idling the are they same, down to the degree (digital gauges). I've had mine over 1500 degrees (front) and haven't even pulled a sled with my current setup.

Last edited:
Back