MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

At what point are swapping these plugs a necessity? I didn't know anything about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At what point are swapping these plugs a necessity? I didn't know anything about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically it's a rpm and mechanical water pump issue. Increase rpm much over 4k and it seems to really create some water pressure in the head and the frost plugs are usually the first to go.

I lost a motor last season from that exact thing and I was running a coolant bypass.

New motor has plugged head, no bypass and running a electric water pump. And after I swapped out the junk glass style fuse with a quality blade style fuse, I've got nearly 12,000mi of comp and daily driving without any issue.

we had two trucks pop them on the dyno, never had any problem befor those. but now every 24v head that leaves my shop has the plugs installed. cheap insurance.

Typically it's a rpm and mechanical water pump issue. Increase rpm much over 4k and it seems to really create some water pressure in the head and the frost plugs are usually the first to go.

I lost a motor last season from that exact thing and I was running a coolant bypass.

New motor has plugged head, no bypass and running a electric water pump. And after I swapped out the junk glass style fuse with a quality blade style fuse, I've got nearly 12,000mi of comp and daily driving without any issue.

How far have you driven on the street with that

Can these be tapped while the head is on the engine in the truck? Now I'm worried, I'm turning well over 4k with a stock water pump.

Ryan,
Glad it didn't cost you a truck, or your life.
I can't believe a reputable shop would build a race engine and not spend the hour and $20 on plugs to make sure this didn't happen.

Thanks for taking the time to post and share the details of your build. I know people have learned a lot from it.

When there is a big build taking lots of time in a short time to do it, the small things can get overseen. Its easy to do, and everyone can do it.

When there is a big build taking lots of time in a short time to do it, the small things can get overseen. Its easy to do, and everyone can do it.

It still hasn't been said whether or not the plugs were the culprit. It doesn't seem likely that something like this could have been overlooked, especially coming from a shop that professionally builds competition engines.

Sometimes it's best not to say anything. With that said I'm sure the problems will be addressed and fixed behind the scenes. No need to bash the builder. Sometimes stuff is accidently missed. As much as we all try to be we are all far from perfect.

Last edited:
Ryan is testing a car today at the track...I would much rather do that than post on the internet too.

Hell I think he is a gluten for punishment some times.

Posting all of his progress and set backs on the internet for all to see and second guess his moves and critique. Hell It is hard enough to not have his status blasted all over FB by other people. The man has balls for sure with his zero F&^%# given approach. Kudos!

His truck has a Fleece coolant bypass kit installed on it as far as I can remember. But since he was running straight water he was seeing a lot of rust in the block and water, maybe that caused the freeze plug to blow out. Or it could have been something entirely different too... We'll have to wait for Ryan to get into it and tell us what happened.

Hopefully no damage was done and it will be an easy fix to be ready for TS!!!:snoop:

Has he ever looked into the Evans NPG and a 0.psi cap?

Has he ever looked into the Evans NPG and a 0.psi cap?

Just as long as that coolant stays in the engine your fine, if not we might have a toasted MiniWheat. That stuff does burn and has wrecked a couple of vehicles and almost killed at least 1 person.

"Evans NPG is the Original Waterless Coolant and is a lifetime coolant. NPG is recommended for racing engines that run on tracks or in series where there is a "NO Ethylene Glycol" rule, and can be used in high performance street vehicles with high flow cooling systems. NPG is NOT recommended for daily drivers or cold weather operation, and may require system modifications to ensure a successful conversion."

OH well now I'm confused, back to topic.

Back