MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

Freeze plug under the valve cover? Makes perfect sense! Going to yank cover ASAP and inspect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer Ryan. But glad you were able to keep it straight with the wet rear tires!!! Good driving!!!

Once you get these new build gremlins worked out the truck is going to be awesome!!! Looking forward to have it in the crosshairs of our Canon camera's in a couple weeks at TS!!!

I don't c how that was missed to begin with?? Specially with as many people helping. Hopefully motor isn't too bad. Tough break but looking forward to more pics

I don't have any real cr knowledge, but why in the hell would they put a freeze plug under the valve cover? So you can take out the entire engine when it pops?

I don't think Ryan was certain it was a freeze plug. I'm pretty sure Fleece taps all freeze plugs too. I'm just hoping it was no major damage and glad he kept it straight and off the wall.

Ryan doesn't have coolant in the truck either, just straight water so hopefully there was no internal engine damage...

I don't have any real cr knowledge, but why in the hell would they put a freeze plug under the valve cover? So you can take out the entire engine when it pops?

Lots of guys have lost engines to the freeze plugs in the head. Can't think of a reason cummins did it other than cost.

I noticed it looked like a stock plug in this pic but bit my tongue, since it's kind of hard to tell on my phone, and my terrible eyes.

29ac8cd0a61ce4a7108f04997c446281.jpg

Bearings aren't too fond of high rpm water washing either...hope it wasn't running long.

I noticed it looked like a stock plug in this pic but bit my tongue, since it's kind of hard to tell on my phone, and my terrible eyes.

29ac8cd0a61ce4a7108f04997c446281.jpg

Looks like standard freeze plugs to me. Hopefully it didn't ruin the motor, I wanted to see Ryan hook up all that new-found power and bust out some 8's...

Did it have a pressure relief for the coolant in the head? I don't see any reason a builder would leave it that way.

Curious to see if it was the culprit. I believe he may have thought it was safe since he had a certain coolant by-pass kit installed.

I argued the effectiveness of the design when they first came out...

I really hope the motor is ok, hate seeing this.

Did it have a pressure relief for the coolant in the head? I don't see any reason a builder would leave it that way.

His truck has a Fleece coolant bypass kit installed on it as far as I can remember. But since he was running straight water he was seeing a lot of rust in the block and water, maybe that caused the freeze plug to blow out. Or it could have been something entirely different too... We'll have to wait for Ryan to get into it and tell us what happened.

Hopefully no damage was done and it will be an easy fix to be ready for TS!!!:snoop:

His truck has a Fleece coolant bypass kit installed on it as far as I can remember. But since he was running straight water he was seeing a lot of rust in the block and water, maybe that caused the freeze plug to blow out. Or it could have been something entirely different too... We'll have to wait for Ryan to get into it and tell us what happened.

Hopefully no damage was done and it will be an easy fix to be ready for TS!!!:snoop:

Yeah only one problem with that. No real pressure relief in that kit.

Ryan,
Glad it didn't cost you a truck, or your life.
I can't believe a reputable shop would build a race engine and not spend the hour and $20 on plugs to make sure this didn't happen.

Thanks for taking the time to post and share the details of your build. I know people have learned a lot from it.

Back