MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

4wd to 2wd. It was stated by Brad Poncie that he could break billet intermediates at will then swapped to a stocker and had no problems. Might be something to think over

I read that. The 2wd/4wd is obvious, but there are others running 2wd and not breaking.

I run a stock intermediate shaft in my prostock as well as my old 4x4 drag truck. Broke billet ones and have never broke a new oem shaft. That was in either trucks.

I run a stock intermediate shaft in my prostock as well as my old 4x4 drag truck. Broke billet ones and have never broke a new oem shaft. That was in either trucks.

I'm definitely taking note of that for my build. Thank you.

You have mentioned new several times. Do you typically need to find a new on or. Will a used stock. Be the same

Dave Goerend mentioned a new intermediate to me too. I guess a used one could be "tired"?

Brad did the billet shafts you broke include the high dollar one from TCS? Not just there regular billet intermediate.

5a40b1d2c151ca038dbbdd95d224f585.jpg

New tires rock! Popped a shaft again though right about the 60' mark in first round eliminations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen quite a few broken stock intermediate shafts lately, 3 of them even had goerend vb's which everyone used to think was the cure-all.

Brad did the billet shafts you broke include the high dollar one from TCS? Not just there regular billet intermediate.

Tried sonnax, tcs canada and tcs arizona. 2 each from each company. Not a cheap lesson. Just dont want anyone to learn the expensive way like i did.

I've seen quite a few broken stock intermediate shafts lately, 3 of them even had goerend vb's which everyone used to think was the cure-all.

The cure all VB you speak of from Dave was just a normal VB from him that didn't break inputs not the intermediate.

Inputs are broken from either a "bind" (VB setup wrong) or weak materials. The intermediate breaks from pure shock and no give. Hence why many have gone back to stock for the reason Brad mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Stock shaft can take the shock load but can it take the torque load?

What TQ are you making at your launch rpm? Sounds like your over 3000rpm...

Leaving at 2700-2800rpm, on the dyno at full tilt the truck makes 2164tq at 3000rpm

Command at 10mph wheel speed, lockup catches engine speed and starts pulling it back south by 3900rpm, then upshift at 4500 so... I'd say half to two thirds thru first gear it's locked up.

Back