Need any and all ideas

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Ok. Now that I know the motor is perfectly fine (500psi compression across the board) I'm gonna start diving into this thing hardcore. Here's a list of stuff I've checked:

-Fuel pressure is 13 at idle and 11 at WOT but got a spring on the way to raise that slightly
-No boost leaks
-Boost is 45-48psi and egt's are 1300-1350*
-Truck runs very smooth. No hesitation, jerkyiness, dead pedal, loss of power, nothing.
-No fuel in oil, no water in oil, no oil in coolant.
-TST fueling light comes on on both box and remote and I notice a difference in boost and EGT's when it's on and off (bout 10 more psi and 200* egt's).
-No funny codes
-New MAP sensor
-Clean IAT sensor
-Cleanish air filter (got cleaned about 10k miles ago)
-Compression is perfect at 500psi
-Valves set at .010/.020 and were done probably 30-40k ago
-Wire tap is soldered

I'm sure that there's more but that's the list I can think of for now. I'm getting a drag comp this weekend from a buddy of mine (thanks justin) to use on the dyno next weekend. One thing I noticed is that I see no difference in boost or egt's going from level 3 to level 7 on the tst and they feel like they run about the same. Only difference is that level 3 doesn't shudder the pump where as level 7 does (I've got the competition edition).

So if yall have any ideas, any at all. Please let me know. I'm dying to get this figured out.

Mods-TST Competition, Smarty with 1.21b software (beta software for the adjustable speed limiter), 7x.010 (150-200hp) injectors, HTT 62/71/13ss, Scotty Air 2 intake w/hole, 5" exhaust, DTT, upgraded fuel system and lines

Last edited:
Air pressure in the tires??

Sounded good anyway Tyler...the only real thing I can think of is the electronics issues. Good luck!

500psi compression is damn good considering what that truck's been through
Chris

I was gonna guess something internal with the TST as well.

Maybe try a different Smarty version just for kicks?

Is there a way to test the APPS? I know Jory was trying to find one recently.

I'm thinking it may be sending a low signal, not exhibiting the typical signs of failing. Maybe reset it?

I know when I adjusted it a while back I had to turn it all the way forward to get it to what it was supposed to be at. I need to find the link on how to clean it by drilling a hole in it and then get that link that coon smile posted to work on the ATS fix for the APPS to work.

Seems like you should be getting more of a hit from the TST than 10 psi and 200*. I know your VP was new in July but maybe the solenoid is not accomplishing full pump stretch. Or maybe the TST has a bug. Sounds like you will know with the Drag Comp. I'd say be sure to unload the smarty when you do the Drag Comp just to take it out of the equation as well.

I'm gonna leave the smarty in to try and keep as many variables as I can the same. That's why I'm also not stepping up on the injectors just yet.

I'm gonna leave the smarty in to try and keep as many variables as I can the same. That's why I'm also not stepping up on the injectors just yet.

I would take Smarty out & try the Drag on 5x4 as this setting gives the highest numbers. I'm glad to hear that you don't have a bad engine. Before the dyno, I would do this.
1. Adjust the valves again, I've seen trucks that had a tight valve or loose valve even after adjustment. You could have missed one.
2. The article for APPS reset/cleaning was in TDR issue #52 & if you need, I'll send it to you by email.
3. Clean your air filter & make sure that your filter is able to flow 1000cfm, I had a restriction before that caused slow spool & weak motor. HTT told me to be sure that it would flow 1000.
4. My brothers ecm was going bad & he noticed that the truck was weak, but no codes were present. I would try to swap one with a friend to eliminate that idea.
5. My money would be on a bad box, but you have that covered with the Edge.
6. You could have a bad vp44, maybe have it tested. Your local Dodge dealer or performance shop should be able to test it on the truck I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have tested everything & in my opinion, this is electrical.

1. I'll try that
2. If you wouldn't mind emailing that to me that'd be great. I don't get the TDR mags.
3. It's an AFE oiled filter that's about 16" long and 4" in diameter. It should be able to flow enough. I think I'm gonna take the housing off of it though just to help it out.
4. Getting an ECM to swap is gonna be a challenge.
5. I'm putting my money on the TST as well. We'll see how it does with the drag comp.
6. Don't know of any performance shops around here but I'll see what dodge wants to test it. Probably my first born child.

I have tested everything so I know it's electrical.

Tyler, I'm glad to hear it's not internal, I was worried for ya. I still think it's a fueling issue. Sounds like your plan of attack to diagnose the problem is very well thought out.

Good luck.

Take the smarty out i ran my street truck on 2 different dynos made 535/1005 on just the TST comp with 150's and a II 66 turbo, stock everything else. When i put the smarty in under the TST truck wouldnt get out of its own way almost like it was trying to defuel. Have had 2 smarty's on it and neither have been worth a durn with the TST turned on. The truck ran great with the just TST on it and then it ran great with TST off and the smarty on but wouldnt run with both being turned on, on any level. Hope this helps

you only get 13psi for fuel? my is at 18psi at idle and 16 at wot if my gets down to like 13 or lower i know my fuel filter is getting bad so i change it then which i have to do tomorrow cause when it gets that low it starts to sudder once in awhile

Filter is a couple of months old and the pump has always ran this pressure. I've got a higher PSI spring coming that should raise it to around 15-18psi at idle.

Mike D, I'm glad it's not internal also. I was incredibly nervous testing it today.

DISTURBED, if I had enough time at this next dyno to test stuff I would but I don't. I do know that relentless just got a dyno and it's $75 for 15 minutes to get as many runs as you can in so I'll probably run down there and do some testing. I appreciate the help though.

$75 for 15 minutes? Geesh! When I went to Gullo Ford I paid $100 for three runs but I had all the time I wanted inbetween those runs. I hope you get it all fixed bro, I know I am hoping my truck gets its issues straightened out... lol

I don't mind paying that. It's really not that bad. You can get a lot of runs in in 15 minutes. And I'm sure that if it's a slow day you could probably get more than 15 minutes. I'm not worried about it.