new 12v springs

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
There are so many people running our 12v springs in so many different kinds of applications that we are having to make a change, first we are making them able to handle more lift before coil bind. The better that heads get, there is more and more need to get higher lift cams and higher ratio rockers. This dictates a change. Second issue that we see quite a lot is that people use these springs with many different length valves and machine the head with different valve jobs so that the installed height is all over the place for this reason we are working with our manufacturer to come up with different locks and shim packages to allow installed height to be dialed in for your application.

For street trucks under 60lbs of boost 160-185lbs of pressure is fine, but with guys running 1.850"/1.750" valves and over 70lbs of boost at higher rpm, 185lbs to 220lbs on the seat is necessary. The more rpm, higher mass with bigger valves and more boost dictates more spring pressure. Most guys need more pressure, but are afraid of it. Do your homework, use zinc and kick the pressure up.....especially on competition engines!

For street trucks it will be necessary to limit nose pressure to 380-410lbs and for competition trucks 400-450lbs. At all times, we like to keep the spring at no less than .030" to coil bind on all springs.

If you have any questions, feel free to let us know. We should be able to get the new locks in the next month or so.

Smokem, I would appreciate if you would not post in my section, you are here for no other reason than to gripe. If you have something to say, you can answer your phone or better yet put on your big boy underoos and call me. But to answer your question, 1.800-1.960" depending on valve job, valve choice, spring pocket depth etc. People should check it shim up, re-cut the pockets or use different locks to get the correct height across the board. This is not a common practice in the diesel world yet, but it should be.

Last edited:
Smokem, I would appreciate if you would not post in my section, you are here for no other reason than to gripe. If you have something to say, you can answer your phone or better yet put on your big boy underoos and call me. But to answer your question, 1.800-1.960" depending on valve job, valve choice, spring pocket depth etc. People should check it shim up, re-cut the pockets or use different locks to get the correct height across the board. This is not a common practice in the diesel world yet, but it should be.

Most of your spring kits were beeing sold as drop in replacements weren't they? Why would a typical guy without the proper tools need to check them if they are supposed to be correct from the get go? Not trying to be a jerk, just saying what a customer told me today when he called me upset.

Last edited:

With the 1.800-1.960 range installed height what affect will it have on cam wear for a high lift/duration cam?

With the 1.800-1.960 range installed height what affect will it have on cam wear for a high lift/duration cam?

At 1.800 and over 200 pounds on the seat and 500 pounds over the nose, alot. Thats not a good combo on a casty cam as drop in springs

Last edited:
At 1.800 and over 200 pounds on the seat and 500 pounds over the nose, alot. Thats not a good combo on a casty cam as drop in springs

I may be in trouble then. Would have been nice to know before I spent the money.

With a stock head, no valve job, stock valves, and unmachined valve spring pockets, installed height is around 1.880-1.910" They are direct drop in, no worries. I am giving a range I have seen people run with a wide variety of valves, retainers, locks and valve seats. We have sold a LOT and have not had any issues other than coil bind on cams over .370" with aftermarket valves. Our new springs give another .030" before they coil bind. I would try to keep them under 450lbs at the nose, but I have run more with no issues on a cast cam. I try to push our products hard before I sell them.

diesel wrencher, they do not need to be checked for drop in cams. If you run over a .375" lift cam, you are at the point where you need to get some tools and do some math.
Ahall, if they are not correct for your setup, I will give you a full refund. If you are not running over a .375" lift cam, you should be good to go. If you want I will text you my cell number and we can clear that up.

Disturbed that is not even close to what they are. For drop in cams they should be around 350 on the nose. I was saying that was what I like to run on engines that spin big rpm and a lot of boost to keep things in control. At high rpm/high boost, you need a lot of pressure, that is not an option.

Smokem, thank you Sir.

When I said I don't want you posting in my section, that was not a suggestion. That is funny that you say that you are not going to be part of the pissing match as you whizz on my back and tell me it's raining. Thank you for the final jab. Maybe I should make known the issues I have seen with your injectors. I might even make a solution to fix what you have messed up. I know you will not waste your time talking to me. I have tried to call you 6 or 8 times with no answer. I see you have no problem being a keyboard warrior. Answer or stop posting, end of discussion.

Last edited:
Disturbed that is not even close to what they are. For drop in cams they should be around 350 on the nose. I was saying that was what I like to run on engines that spin big rpm and a lot of boost to keep things in control. At high rpm/high boost, you need a lot of pressure, that is not an option.

So a spring that is suppose to be installed at 1.900 but is acctually installed at 1.800 is only 350 on the nose???? Maybe i missed something.

Our 12v springs on a stock head usually install at 1.880-1.910. ( we are getting new locks made so that can be easily changed). At that height, you will have around 160-175lbs and 325-350 on the nose depending on the cam. It was asked what was the installed heigh in a separate post and I answered 1.800-1.960 which is the range I have seen although that is not the range I suggest.

Zach

diesel wrencher, they do not need to be checked for drop in cams. If you run over a .375" lift cam, you are at the point where you need to get some tools and do some math.

What about if the installed height is 1.770 or 1.790 with the provided locks, retainers, and springs? On a stock head of course.

I'll check my installed height early next week to see if there is possible issues. When are the recall locks going to be available to adjust the install height?

Post will be removed if not kept on track, goes for EVERYONE.

Please keep this thread on track, if needed make a thread in the staging lanes to argue spring pressure.

Thanks

I got 3 sets Hamilton 12 v springs runnin 375 lift installed @ 1.890-1.910 got over 50 hooks no problems.....

Our 12v springs on a stock head usually install at 1.880-1.910. ( we are getting new locks made so that can be easily changed). At that height, you will have around 160-175lbs and 325-350 on the nose depending on the cam. It was asked what was the installed heigh in a separate post and I answered 1.800-1.960 which is the range I have seen although that is not the range I suggest.

Zach

Zach going to measure mine tomorrow but, what have you been seeing with your heads vs a stock 12v head?

If someone puts in a high lift cam and don't check installed height and max lift spring clearance, should find a engine builder.. and for the person who has a 1.770 wow that head is messed up ... Prob. A new china head

If someone puts in a high lift cam and don't check installed height and max lift spring clearance, should find a engine builder.. and for the person who has a 1.770 wow that head is messed up ... Prob. A new china head

Stock cummins head. The issue is in the lock! I know how to remedy the issue now, but it's a little too late for a couple of guys that I know.

Last edited:
So they didn't check things huh ... I have done over 100 12v head these springs r about .060 less installed height but .030 more before coil bind ... than stock and that 1.770 is a fluke made .. What was the head to valve face depth .039-.050. Guys playing the guessing games when building a engine isn't Hamilton fault .....