New motor build for the puller

Was that with the 03-04 pistons or the 04.5-07 ones? The 04.5 bowl is really similar to a Ross or Aries design. I ran the SO pistons last year and wanted something in-between them and the 2000$+ sets. I hope they work out good. Lol

04.5+

I know of quite a few engines that successfully utilize the late 5.9L piston in both 12v and 24v applications. If someone is going to try and rationalize something, they should atleast be rational.

I'm just speaking from experience. And I can vouch for 2 others who had the same issues, not saying it cant be done, but I feel your giving up alot using that style piston, mainly torque. MPM has tried them, did testing and came to the conclusion that for an average 2.6 motor they we're more harm then good. Those arias pistons that were mentioned...do they have that shallow of a bowl?

A few I have seen are wider and shallower, made plenty of hp and tq.

Last edited:
I could see where a wide low swirl bowl along with a lower pressure system wouldn't be optimal.

Lower pressure combinations relied more on swirl for mixing, not to say it can't work either.

One thing I will say, that piston design may be a little less forgiving concerning static timing and fuel setting compared to others.

That is the plan. I know it takes that or more to be a contender so if I'm up there somewhere I will be happy.

Cool. Keep us posted (I'm sure you will).

Nice to see a competition engine, built on a reasonable budget, come together and be competitive.

Any progress yet ???:pop:

Actually yes we have made progress. The problem is our computer crashed and I can't upload pic from my phone. I can send them as messages but when I try to manage attachments it won't let me browse my phone library.

Any way, the bottom end is done and assembled. I used the 04.5 pistons and had Scheid cut the four .125 valve reliefs in the pistons. Then I had G&G machine in Rantoul Il hone the cylinders (still stock bore). I believe the hone is right at the top of spec for tolerance. They line bored the cam tunnel for cam bushings. Then they checked the line bore of the mains which were all good. The deck was good so I didn't have to recut the fire rings. Then they worked over the rods and rebuilt them. I already have the good h11 rod bolts. They balanced the whole rotating assembly. This is a new storm block so I just run 12mm main studs and the Haisley girdle plate. I also run 14mm head studs with a standard Scheid .105 fire rings.

Then they put my steel Hamilton 220/240 cam and tappets in, degreed the cam in and the bottom end is ready to go

Next was the head. It wasn't to good. It has already been ported and polished but still retains the stock intake. I needed all new valve guides to start with. Then only like 6 of the valves were good so I put all new Ferrera inconel valves in with a three angle valve job with back cut valves. The valve face depths were all over the board so they set them the same on the intakes and exhaust then decked the head so the valves werent set so deep. Put my new Hamilton 110 springs, keepers and retainers in at the installed height of 1.380. I already have exhaust manifold studs and rocker arm studs so that should take care of the top end. I have chromoly pushrods to finish this off.

That's where it's at right now. Still have a ton of work to do yet. We are doing 5.13 gears, dually rearend, some chassis work and other smaller time consuming projects.

Sounds good, im in about the same boat with a motor for my pullin truck, its gettin close to what yours is but a smaller cam.

I do have some pics put up on facebook if you want to see them. It is under Tim N Kelly Burton. What cam did you put in yours?

I could see where a wide low swirl bowl along with a lower pressure system wouldn't be optimal.

Lower pressure combinations relied more on swirl for mixing, not to say it can't work either.

what is it that you think is mixing? your intake valve is not open towards the top of the compression stroke and doesnt open back up till around BDC on the powerstroke as an average....what makes you think swirl is or isnt optimal? what do you think swirl is designed for in a cylinder head?

Last edited:
what is it that you think is mixing? your intake valve is not open towards the top of the compression stroke and doesnt open back up till around BDC on the powerstroke as an average....what makes you think swirl is or isnt optimal? what do you think swirl is designed for in a cylinder head?

Your kidding right? :doh:

Your kidding right?

3665298991_6ae8d1ec1f.jpg

Yea your right genius...pistons arnt designed to optimize swirl based on injection pressure and spray pattern. What was I thinking.

I believe both Ryan and I understand this, which I believe was the point he was trying to make.

Let me know how the cr pistons work out for ya...I struggled with them for a year and idk how many injector combos. Simplest way Monster pump mike put it to me...whats a CR run like when running low RP, complete ****.

It concerns me that you make sarcastic comments, yet you had these issues, and then give an irrational reason as the cause. My post was in a light hearted manner stating that you might pull back on your speculation.

I believe both Ryan and I understand this, which I believe was the point he was trying to make.

It concerns me that you make sarcastic comments, yet you had these issues, and then give an irrational reason as the cause. My post was in a light hearted manner stating that you might pull back on your speculation.
This is a good little read, this is just the conclusion at the end of the study, pages upon pages can be read through.

"The case studies have shown that the intake turbulence generation and decay can be predicted in good agreement with experiments. Turbulence generated during the intake stroke decays towards TDC during compression.
This study has also shown that significant turbulence is likely to be generated by a carefully designed piston-bowl. Instability seems to be induced by the unsteady flow separation at the edge of the bowl and squish region, although the turbulence generated by the piston bowl is relatively small. The predictions confined that the turbulence intensity increase roughly linear with piston speed.
Because of the general decay of turbulence after the intake stroke, shown in experiments and confined by the present calculations, turbulence generated at the onset of combustion is not greatly affected by the intake turbulence. This may provide some justification for setting up approximate initial conditions at the intake stroke, i.e. without modeling a complicated valve assembly, and still reproduce the main dynamics of the combustion process."
$.02