New motor build for the puller

:hehe:
Thermo- and fluid-dynamic processes in diesel engines: selected papers from ... - James H. Whitelaw, Francisco Payri, José-Maria Desantes - Google Books

Now are you and weston arguing? He is saying swirl and you dont agree. I'm worried about turbulence and a more effecient combustion process...I think everyone could gain from alittle diesel combustion theory 101.[/QUOTE

swirl is created by the port of the cylinder head. turbulence is created on the compression stroke by the piston or by a poorly shaped port. weston and I are not arguing. although we dont agree on anything...:hehe: swirl on the intake stroke turns into turbulent air when being compressed. turbulent air is bad in most cases..... swirl is good. swirl results from air attached in a linear effect and turbulence from air detaching and tumbling.

So am I turbulating or swirlating? Lol. All I know is the bowl design of the 04.5 pistons appear very similar in size and shape to the Aries pistons for less money. I was told buy a well known name that they liked these pistons except for the meat around the pin. Being a shop with a name that they didn't want to risk pulling a piston apart. To them the extra 1000$ is worth the added security.

Which part of that study didnt you understand?

Your take on what you posted, what was written and what you are saying are two different things.

And riddle me this, why in a common-rail can these pistons be run, stock head,motor and so forth, and run just how they were intended.

Better riddle; Why are you the only one to have issues? Could be a few different things causing what you are seeing, and judging by the fuel you used in the second video, I'd say your piston change masked the problem, it didn't fix it.

But in a P-pump application your trying to say a poor valve job is to blame??? Wouldnt a stock head work? Or wait, maybe its the injection pressure. Nah, couldnt be.

Again you are blaming something that is not equivelant. How can you blame injection pressure when using an injector with a completely different path for the fuel concerning the piston design?

Apples and oranges on a re-entrant and non-rentrant piston. I can see where a 03-04 piston could be mahe to work.

This makes me realize you don't grasp the 124° cone angle in the late CR bowl, and the area of turbulence.

Better riddle; Why are you the only one to have issues? Could be a few different things causing what you are seeing, and judging by the fuel you used in the second video, I'd say your piston change masked the problem, it didn't fix it.
You forget I spent a day at EEP when I had these issues, no power was picked up across the board in relation to fuel or timing even running your recommended injector size and spray angle. When I went back a few months ago we picked up 227hp over previous numbers with the piston change...Im not an engineer, but Id say something changed. I also went from consistently being neck and neck with a know 650hp truck to consistently putting 25-30ft on him nightly.

When I went back a few months ago we picked up 227hp over previous numbers with the piston change...Im not an engineer, but Id say something changed.

Since it did not work in your instance, does not change the fact it has worked for many others. It is not a flaw in design or injection pressure, otherwise the forged pistons would be of the VP piston design would they not?

Last edited:
Since it did not work in your instance, does not change the fact it has worked for many others. It is not a flaw in design or injection pressure, otherwise the forged pistons would be of the VP piston design would they not?

Possible, many things can be made to work as they were not designed, but I also havn't sat these pistons side by side and compared. All I have to go off of is vp-305-325 pistons that I have in front of me. I think its also worth noting that a larger top lip radius of the later cr pistons will delay the flow separation and likely guide the radially-inward squish flow down into the bowl slightly sooner. Correct? But, this is all in theory without CFD.

Bought a new fluid damper from scheids while in Louisville for the farm show. Now I can setup my tdc for my pump timing. Then hopefully get the motor all buttoned up and ready to dyno. That's the plans for now. I've been pretty slow on stuff lately. Need more money coming in. Lol

here is a couple pics to show proof i am working on it slowly:hehe:

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
I got to work on the truck finally. It has been slow with work and other family stuff but I'm making progress.

bfb4527c.mp4

[ame]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/ILLINOISRAM/bfb4527c.mp4[/ame]

Last edited:
Interesting, you warm it up first time dry right....no water, was thinking about that yesterday as I remembered a post about it a while back as a break in method.

Jim

Interesting, you warm it up first time dry right....no water, was thinking about that yesterday as I remembered a post about it a while back as a break in method.

Jim

I always do it dry, than way if u find an issues, u don't have to tear the front end back off.

sweet build, hope it works out great for ya! what you hoping to get power wise?

always wonder when i see others warm up/first fire videos, why does everyone put the belt on with everything else still off?
whenever i do the first fire on a new engine i leave the belt off,mainly for less cranking stress, and cuz usually the batteries have been sitting and are weak. not being a d!ck, just saying is all.

So how long ect do you run it with no water in it, makes sense doing it this way!

Jim

I put my hand on the head and block. When u can barely hold ur hand on the block is about 140 degrees or so. Shut it down at that point.