Official Cali Sledpull thread!

Tried talking with the VTPA officials and secretary but things were so khaotic at this event for them that they had no time to listen or reason with me. I arrived a little before 1pm and brought over a printed pamphlet of the NADM rules to the officials that I could find time with and they explained that their rules are set for this year and the years to come. I told them I knew that the rules could not be changed right there and now and probably not for the rest of this season but they just could not seem to understand that I was not trying to control or change their system of pulling, I was just trying to propose a basic set of nationalized rules to their diesel classes in the interest of bringing on more variety of trucks & competition resulting in more success for them and that class of pulling. Jeez, that was a long sentence.:hehe:

Joe

Joe, I could have told you this was going to happen but didn't want to get the internet pullers here fired up that I might be negative, and before you all get pissy I consider the internet pullers the guy's who attend one maybe two hooks a year at there local fair and who aren't serious enough to travel to or support other events but feel they have the right to ***** about the rules. We tried to get the VTPA to do three classes years ago and they wanted nothing to do with it.

We don't have enough dedicated pullers out there to come up with a standard set of rules especially with more then three classes, and if your rules don't allow the local guy's (which I suspect were the new trucks mentioned) then forget it as that is money in the promoters pocket.

Find an organization that supports diesel sled pulling, build your truck to there rules, bring in trucks, put on a good show and establish a good relationship with them and then perhaps they will listen to you as a whole, not one or two or three. In my situation (Modified) I find two organizations that I can pull in and enjoy pulling with, therefore I will support them whole heartedly and that is MLM and PTPA. I do not fit in anybody else rules but will occasionally pull exhibition.

This post is not meant to piss anybody off, unless of course your internet puller :)

BBD

Like we said earlier in theis thread, NADM rules for 2.6, 2.8 and Super Street only, and Scott will pull exibition. Three classes not five.

-Tom

I will have to read up on those rules Tom, I assume we can get the local stock trucks in the 2.6 class? does SS allow twins?

BBD

I just read them Tom, only problem I see is the driveshaft loops in the 2.6 class, a lot of the local guy's will be left out if we have to enforce that rule. trust me I am as big a safety fan as you but I am putting myself in the promoters seat here and if they can barley get enough trucks are they really going to turn down the 1/2 dozen local folks. I think I remember the old DHRA giving a one time reprieve and if you showed up the next time with out the gear you were told about you couldn't hook. This would most likely have to policed by ourselves.

Looks like you can have twins in the SS class though :)

BBD

2.6 I would run like a work stock class with almost no safety equipment, I believe actual NADM 2.6 needs a U-joint shield, I will check.

SS allows twins up to 3.2" or 81 and some change mm.

-Tom

Scott,

Its just a shield for the rear u-joint and any u-joints that are visible from the side of the truck (ie lifted trucks). But I would most likely recommend this rule, to allow for locals.

-Tom

whats up all pulled in gustin last night and heres the run down melted all 6 pistions the head looks good turbos ok hope to be ready for turlock have old block and pistions to run and not care about

whats up all pulled in gustin last night and heres the run down melted all 6 pistions the head looks good turbos ok hope to be ready for turlock have old block and pistions to run and not care about

OK, I'm guessing you had the hood-stacked, p-pumped 24v right?
red with yellow hood?

wow-- all 6 pistons?

This post is not meant to piss anybody off, unless of course your internet puller :)

BBD

hahahaha, internet puller....lol.

bcb3ff2e-1.jpg

yea its a 12v had a lot of pulls on that engion when it was in my ford .thats the new pull truck dose anyone have video from it i want to see what i can chang got to get the power to the ground more

Why so hot? to much fuel not enough air? other issues? what are your plans for keeping the EGT's down on the new build?

BBD

going to get new turbos and go to water injection hope it will help everything on that truck is old time to start over

The vtpa will never get serious about diesels, they don't like them. I used to pull a Gasser for them and every body complained about the smoke, they tried to make all trucks exhaust point up and not into the croud. it didn't work to many guys off the street didn't know the rules so they gave up. I don't pull anymore but have friends that do and i go when i can and they still gripe about the smoke. like BBD said find a group or club that supports diesel and work to make diesel pulling better for everyone. i seriously dint think it will happen with vtpa. iam not winning or anything just my 2 cents from pulling with vtpa for 5 years.

The vtpa will never get serious about diesels, they don't like them. I used to pull a Gasser for them and every body complained about the smoke, they tried to make all trucks exhaust point up and not into the croud. it didn't work to many guys off the street didn't know the rules so they gave up. I don't pull anymore but have friends that do and i go when i can and they still gripe about the smoke. like BBD said find a group or club that supports diesel and work to make diesel pulling better for everyone. i seriously dint think it will happen with vtpa. iam not winning or anything just my 2 cents from pulling with vtpa for 5 years.

your proly right, but I'm willing to say that at every vtpa pull over 50% of the crowd is there for the diesel trucks and I know they love the smokin tractors! As far as Turlock goes I think they have one of the biggest crowd around here and after the diesel trucks run half the crowd leaves and I hear the talk in the stands and in the pits and most people enjoy watching us! Nothing against the gassers that's just what it is! Vtpa or shipman are STUPID if they don't want us there. The jonny poppers are cool but the crowd can only handle so many before they get bored! So I just don't understand why they wouldn't like us making a good show at their events! By the way the announcer does a good job getting the crowd amped for us at vtpa events. And once again I do agree with you but I think that's foolish of them

Last edited:
Yeah, the announcer is pretty cool! "YEEEEAAAAAAH BABY!!!!! TURRRRRRRNNNNN OUT THE LIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS!!!!!!!!! lol.

I'm just thankful to have a place to be able to hook.

As for enforcing the rules -- the first guy to hook street mod should stop at the scales on his way out and check weight and hitch height of all the trucks that come off the track after him. That would be a simple step towards a little organization.