Official Cali Sledpull thread!

YouTube - Gustine Truck Pulls 09

Here's my pull, beginning and end is cut off, I think I did pretty terrible, and a dmax and stroker with just a chip pulled further than me...but I think I need to do something about traction lol :bang...any pointers? haha

That's nothing new it's been that way for years at the VTPA pulls. They do there thing and that let the diesels run at the end at least you get to pull I guess.

Was it a 300' track? surprised they didn't reset the sled and let you all pull a little longer.

BBD

The track had some hard rutts for extreme guys but they had the sled tight due to two sleds on a 20' wide track, one on each side.

YouTube - Gustine Truck Pulls 09

Here's my pull, beginning and end is cut off, I think I did pretty terrible, and a dmax and stroker with just a chip pulled further than me...but I think I need to do something about traction lol :bang...any pointers? haha

we learned a lot about traction last night.........

It seemed like more agressive tires worked better on gustine's track. However, the tires you have (some type of a/t IIRC) would work great at ceres. Did you have the rear end blocked with 2" travel?

Your truck looked great -- you should get out of it and come talk to us once in a while:Cheer:

-jp

Last edited:
Like facing each other :doh:

What time did you guys hook? looks like the crowed thined out some.

BBD

Yeah, like facing each other. :bang

I don't know exactly what time, but I'd guess my run was close to 11pm.

On a couple occasions, the truck pulling north ended up drivers window to drivers window with the puller facing south. The driver headed south actually rolled down his window and congratulated the other puller while he was getting unhooked. wow.

On a couple occasions, the truck pulling north ended up drivers window to drivers window with the puller facing south. The driver headed south actually rolled down his window and congratulated the other puller while he was getting unhooked. wow.

after you lost your hearing from the open headers

we learned a lot about traction last night.........

It seemed like more agressive tires worked better on gustine's track. However, the tires you have (some type of a/t IIRC) would work great at ceres. Did you have the rear end blocked with 2" travel?

Your truck looked great -- you should get out of it and come talk to us once in a while:Cheer:

-jp

Thanks for the compliment, I like the way your truck is with the darker grill, its not all white like every other truck. I should be at Ceres Saturday, I'll be more mobile there, so to say was working on putting faces with peoples trucks...

Yeah my a/t's did not hook up at all, I did forget to flip my lock up switch....but I guess you can't remember everything on the first pull. I don't have any type of rear end suspension mods other than aftermarket shocks. Hopefully my tires do better at Ceres, or I might have to try some other type. As soon as my truck built boost it started spinning like crazy to the top of 2nd and stayed there. I'm not sure how far I pulled but judging from the video it wasn't very far...:blahblah1:

Maybe I should have just brought the swampers I have in my avatar haha. Although I'm not sure what some of the other trucks weighed, but I think mine is on the "light" side, it was a little over 6800 lbs with 3/4 tank.

Last edited:

Yeah I couldn't believe how late we pulled. At the beginning the announcer said they started doing two sleds to get us out before 12....well 11:20 isn't much earlier! On a couple of occasions the tractors coming from the blue sled actually had to let off early, they looked pissed off lol. That track is a little too narrow for two sleds in opposite directions, imo the way hilmar did it was better.

Thanks for the compliment, I like the way your truck is with the darker grill, its not all white like every other truck. I should be at Ceres Saturday, I'll be more mobile there, so to say was working on putting faces with peoples trucks...

Yeah my a/t's did not hook up at all, I did forget to flip my lock up switch....but I guess you can't remember everything on the first pull. I don't have any type of rear end suspension mods other than aftermarket shocks. Hopefully my tires do better at Ceres, or I might have to try some other type. As soon as my truck built boost it started spinning like crazy to the top of 2nd and stayed there. I'm not sure how far I pulled but judging from the video it wasn't very far...:blahblah1:

Maybe I should have just brought the swampers I have in my avatar haha. Although I'm not sure what some of the other trucks weighed, but I think mine is on the "light" side, it was a little over 6800 lbs with 3/4 tank.

Make blocks for your rear suspension.

Get your truck up to 8000lbs.

I have a test on saturday, but I'm going to try to make it to ceres. If go, I'll have about 600 lbs we can throw in your truck then stack it back on mine after your pull.

Wide AT's seem to work best at ceres.

Jeez, what a greuling night! We didn't hook till what,? 10:15~, I guess the 25th anniversary of the Gustine pull lived up to it's name.
Sled was extremely tight, they didn't want us to drag the sled to the opposite end obviously, major slug out of the hole, just seemed like I was spinning and going nowhere. I even aired down more right before the hook but that didn't seem to help. I think my new tires worked great, just need to find the optimum pressures for them at each track. Those results looked right to me, I loaded up right after my hook and ran over to check results. Duramax 1st, Jp second, me third, Russ was like 4th or 5th, can't remember. It was late and I was tired, very long day......which brings me to my nationalizing rules attempt.:bang
Tried talking with the VTPA officials and secretary but things were so khaotic at this event for them that they had no time to listen or reason with me. I arrived a little before 1pm and brought over a printed pamphlet of the NADM rules to the officials that I could find time with and they explained that their rules are set for this year and the years to come. I told them I knew that the rules could not be changed right there and now and probably not for the rest of this season but they just could not seem to understand that I was not trying to control or change their system of pulling, I was just trying to propose a basic set of nationalized rules to their diesel classes in the interest of bringing on more variety of trucks & competition resulting in more success for them and that class of pulling. Jeez, that was a long sentence.:hehe:
Overall it was not very successful, it was hot and I got tired of walking around in 95* heat for a cause that was not going to be heard out that day. But.... I was able to get permission to send the copy of the rules to the VTPA for them to look over. Go figure. :bang I will be getting a letter of intent together to send along with the rules sheets and hopefully they will take the time to look them over and possibly implement some if not all of the NADM rules and classes for our diesel trucks. :)
I will get my video up as soon as I get back, going to MotoGP tomorrow then home Monday. I will be at Ceres next Saturday still trying to get the truck dialed in. Hope to see everyone there!

Joe

Jeez, what a greuling night! We didn't hook till what,? 10:15~, I guess the 25th anniversary of the Gustine pull lived up to it's name.
Sled was extremely tight, they didn't want us to drag the sled to the opposite end obviously, major slug out of the hole, just seemed like I was spinning and going nowhere. I even aired down more right before the hook but that didn't seem to help. I think my new tires worked great, just need to find the optimum pressures for them at each track. Those results looked right to me, I loaded up right after my hook and ran over to check results. Duramax 1st, Jp second, me third, Russ was like 4th or 5th, can't remember. It was late and I was tired, very long day......which brings me to my nationalizing rules attempt.:bang
Tried talking with the VTPA officials and secretary but things were so khaotic at this event for them that they had no time to listen or reason with me. I arrived a little before 1pm and brought over a printed pamphlet of the NADM rules to the officials that I could find time with and they explained that their rules are set for this year and the years to come. I told them I knew that the rules could not be changed right there and now and probably not for the rest of this season but they just could not seem to understand that I was not trying to control or change their system of pulling, I was just trying to propose a basic set of nationalized rules to their diesel classes in the interest of bringing on more variety of trucks & competition resulting in more success for them and that class of pulling. Jeez, that was a long sentence.:hehe:
Overall it was not very successful, it was hot and I got tired of walking around in 95* heat for a cause that was not going to be heard out that day. But.... I was able to get permission to send the copy of the rules to the VTPA for them to look over. Go figure. :bang I will be getting a letter of intent together to send along with the rules sheets and hopefully they will take the time to look them over and possibly implement some if not all of the NADM rules and classes for our diesel trucks. :)
I will get my video up as soon as I get back, going to MotoGP tomorrow then home Monday. I will be at Ceres next Saturday still trying to get the truck dialed in. Hope to see everyone there!

Joe

Thanks for the effort on the NADM rules.

If we got all of the guys together at the next pull and get all of their signatures on the petition, we'd have a stronger arguement.

It still comes down to this-- whatever rules we go with have to be enforced.

Once the truck rolls over the scales it should not be able to be touched. Since we are the last to pull, and track conditions change from how they are at the start of the pull, an exception should be made for tire pressure.

Joe, I'm working on getting your vid uploaded right now. Slow connection at gf's house taking forever.

*******correction on earlier post *************
Rui's street mod pull was 208 ft-- heard it on the vid.

Joe

Thanks for the effort, at the pull I realized something. I used to work with the VP of VTPA and I see him every Tuesday for softball games. I'll bring up this idea with him and see what he says.

Make blocks for your rear suspension.

Get your truck up to 8000lbs.

I have a test on saturday, but I'm going to try to make it to ceres. If go, I'll have about 600 lbs we can throw in your truck then stack it back on mine after your pull.

Wide AT's seem to work best at ceres.

Thanks for the advice, my tires are only 285/70/17's so they aren't very big. I'll need to find some weight for my truck and see about the blocks. I also have a test Saturday morning, but starts at 8, so I should make it.

I can tell you guys right now that 5 classes will not be accepted by VTPA so don't bother with the NADM rules.

Like we said earlier in this thread, NADM rules for 2.6, 2.8 and Super Street only, and Scott will pull exibition. Three classes not five.

-Tom

Last edited: