One thing led to another. Build thread.

what are you doing with your caltracs? if your going to sell them, shoot me a message. im about to order a set today or tomorrow

If you're lowered in the rear, measure before ordering, and make sure to tell them you want shorter u bolts. Don't just order the off the shelf kit.

Ya, I read that you had done that in the beginning of this thread, so I messaged them, and they told me where and how to measure to get the correct ones. But i figured if you hadn't sold yours, yours would have worked since yours was also lowered. have a good day

This is getting completely out of hand!

I take it your bypassing SS and going PS? And in that case 4x4 isn't going to be the hill to die on?

Sweet build. Thanks for the cal tracs
No problem. I'll be looking for your build thread soon.

This is getting completely out of hand!

I take it your bypassing SS and going PS? And in that case 4x4 isn't going to be the hill to die on?
Yeah, no more ss dreams. It'll have to go ps now. With my job, i can't break away to chase the diesel circuit. I'm not building it to conform or be competitive in any specific diesel class. I understand that 4x4 is hardly ideal for drag racing, but then again neither is a diesel engine. I could spend a fraction of the money on a turbo ls and go faster. I like what seth and chase L are doing.

Might as well tub it while you're at it! Put some 33x22.50's front and rear?? :snoop:

That's cool you're on to the next stage already!
Hard to tub it with no tubs. It'll have enough room to run as much tire as i want to run in the future. This wasn't supposed to happen until next year, but this year is pretty much gone so we kept rolling with it.

Yeah. 4 link, 9" front and rear.

Thank you.

I like the choice of axles :thumbsup:

I know you pay attention to this stuff, so what kind of weight do you think it'll lose just in the axle switch?

Be careful on axle length with a 9". Strange recommends not going over 34 7/8" on even their 40 spline. Might be an issue on front passenger axle. Maybe pull a tape from diff housing to end to get an idea if you're in the safe zone. Not sure how the custom knuckle system applies to this.

Last edited:
I like the choice of axles :thumbsup:

I know you pay attention to this stuff, so what kind of weight do you think it'll lose just in the axle switch?

To get an idea how light a 9" is, I can easily lift my complete rearend by myself with brakes, axles, and heavy series third member into the bed of my truck and all over the shop. Try that with an 11.5. Should be pretty drastic.

Be careful on axle length with a 9". Strange recommends not going over 34 7/8" on even their 40 spline. Might be an issue on front passenger axle. Maybe pull a tape from diff housing to end to get an idea if you're in the safe zone. Not sure how the custom knuckle system applies to this.
I always wondered if a longer axle would be beneficial because it could take more torsional load. With that comment from Strange, I wonder if there's something I'm overlooking.

Theoretically you have a long axle and a short axle in every housing. If you were to carry spare parts, you only need a spare long axle. It will always break before the short one. I'm certain someone has defied this logic and broke the short one somehow. You get the point though.

Also like to add different materials will be more or less rigid and brittle. Same as a street gear and a pro gear. I would assume 300m might act differently than 4130. Same as we see on aermet inputs vs 300m etc.

Last edited:
76F0F3E0-0E73-41F5-A00E-B257AF269DFE_zpshglxlvpk.jpg

51516B8B-391A-4440-A339-23B59EAB7C69_zpsqgijmyi5.jpg

Wow JP, really going for it!!! I imagine that you will save weight and improve strength and suspension all at the same time!!!

I probably need to do mine that way too, but I may keep the frame and still run leaf springs. I'm still undecided...