opinions on build for 650 hp

Oooooorrrr you could build a common rail. LOL. 800 hp on a single turbo can be "smoke free" and in this area at least isnt wasted on the street. There are plenty of supercharged mustangs and turboed imports in this area that have been shown what diesel power is all about.

I said mostly, not completely.

Update on Truck
I put the new injectors in and it runs pretty good might have a small leak on the #4 injectors so probably try and fix that aside from that the truck defiantly is making more power. Just waiting on the turbo to come now.

What are your guys thoughts on the fass 220gph system I am thinking of ordering one tomorrow as there about $100 off with the black Friday deals. Thanks

I got the turbo this week and im trying to install it now and bought a bd t3 to t4 adapter im having trouble with putting on the adapter as the 2 bolts for it that bolt to the manifold are threaded n both sides and on the flange and cant get them to tread in to the manifold and the adapter plate together. should I drill out the manifold threads ? Im pretty tempted right now to return it and get a t4 manifold as this adapter plate is being a headache

What are your guys thoughts on the fass 220gph system I am thinking of ordering one tomorrow as there about $100 off with the black Friday deals. Thanks

I've done 550 rwhp on a stock lift pump in my truck and fuel pressure hasn't been an issue. I'd say don't fix what isn't broken in this case.

hi guys so I couldn't get the bd adapter to work so I bought an ats 3 piece t4 manifold and the manifold is out about a 1/4 inch on the 1 and 6 exhaust ports as it bows upward on a flat surface is this how there suppose to be because I cant get the manifold to line up because of this? Are you suppose to try your best and line it up and tighten it down or is this a factory defect. thanks as I am stuck right now and input would be much appreciated.

it almost like a banana the way it is as the 3 and 4 cylinder are flat and 1,2 and 5,6 bend upward a 1/4 inch

Send it back.

The gap between more and enough never changes.

Get a pry bar and move the front and back sections around. Its a 3 piece, its designed to move.

I think I may bring it to my local machine shop and see what they can do. Don't want to have to send it back unless I have to as the truck isn't running and would like to get it driving as soon as possible. Moving the 3 piece around wont cause any leaks will it?

It won't leak. The purpose of the 3-piece is to prevent cracking due to expansion. So movement won't hurt it. Bolt it onto the head with the 4 bolts in the middle section, then use a bar and a hammer to move it around enough to get the rest of the bolts in it.

Hey guys I finaly got the truck running yesterday the manifold needed a lot of tweaking but its on now and isn't leaking and the turbo is on also. The truck is quieter at idle now and in the lower rpms the turbo whistle is gone at idle, is this normal? Also the truck seems to be smother when driving around and has a nice turbo whine when spooling. It isn't as laggy as I thought it would be probally spools around 1800 or so the only time a notice lag is climbing hilss as I have to keep the revs up or else it lugs and smokes. I do notice when free reving around 1300 rpm it will climb to 1800 almost by it self with hardly any more throttle input. What type of boost should I see? with one pull I made it hit 50 psi and was pulling really strong. Overall im very impressed with the turbo and a big thanks to Taylor at Manning Motorsports

Also I noticed after I put the bigger injectors in when I free rev the truck it kinda pops over 1900ish rpm. it also kind of pop or sound it like it hit a rev limiter in 2nd gear when I took off under heavy acceleration around 2500 rpm or so it only does this if I am almost full throttle in second or free revving it

What is your fuel pressure?

If I had to build a 600hp single turbo street truck knowing what I know now, I would do a 467 on a steed, benched pump with comp cuts and 5x.014's or .016's, a real return regulator instead of the OFV, and valve springs/retainers/locks. Leave it at that.

Last edited:
Also I noticed after I put the bigger injectors in when I free rev the truck it kinda pops over 1900ish rpm. it also kind of pop or sound it like it hit a rev limiter in 2nd gear when I took off under heavy acceleration around 2500 rpm or so it only does this if I am almost full throttle in second or free revving it

Sounds like the timing needs to be advanced some, assuming fuel pressure and everything else is right.

I dont have a fuel pressure on the truck yet. the trucks timing hasnt been bumped up i think its at 15 right now what do you guys think it should be at? thanks

I have been driving the truck for a week or so ive noticed it smokes quite a bit until 1800 if I drive slightly more aggressive and spool up isn't till 1800 or so. Im wondering what I should do next for the truck as I cant afford to buy everything I need at once. Would doing the timing help the drivability out and how hard is it too do?. Would there be any benefit to doing a bigger intake horn and tubes as I want to upgrade my intercooler boots as the ones on the truck aren't as good as I thought. Also would a fass 220 help with the popping issues and fuel pressure overall. lastly I would like to get my pump benched with a 5k gsk. which of the following things should I do first or change as I can only afford to do one right now. Thanks

Timing WILL Defiantly help drivability. Timing depends on your mechanical ability...easy for some and a pita for others...READ, READ, READ!!! I wish I would've asked more questions at first w/ my compound setup, primarily on my 475...I have inquired quite a bit and most go w/ the same 475 I have, but each and everyone are different on what their idea of a DD is. I do think a lot are in the same ballpark though.
I'm still running factory boots and clamps and have hit 75psi on several occasions. I'm running a FASS 125 and can max my 60psi fuel gauge...again, all preference on fuel supply...When Westons name comes in the mix, LISTEN...
When it comes to HP, I can't agree more w/ the previous statements...

Last edited: