Painting my truck, with pics

Go with all orange for sure. The dark bottom on a light colord truck won't look right IMO.

That pic that Lavon posted is great. Why not just go that high Jamie? That is the most problematic spots anyway. You dont need to line X all the way up to your bed rail LOL

Too late now. I already painted the truck & it is definately going up to the bodyline now.:hehe:

I know it might not be practical for you application, but what about that "Star Shield Armor"(Clear 3M protective film)? You could then just do the 4" high line-x on the rocker and do the "Star Shield" stuff the rest of the way up.
I have seen the Line-x on a few trucks & I want to have it done. I've seen my buddy's truck rust out from the inside out behind the clear 3m stuff too.
after seeing this truck in person a couple times...it just makes me sick to look at my own...his truck is spotless

IMO i dont like sport bumpers for a "work" truck...are you going for a work truck theme or a sport truck theme...to me there is a big difference and i wouldnt want to combine the two

I'm doing the sport bumper for now, then down the road I'll be going for the "Work truck theme".

Poor "J"...We are going to get him confused yet..:hehe:.....Keep up the great work on that total restoration...:rockwoot:

Just off topic...I'm going to look at a sport grill tomarrow..Its off a 2002 sport.The frame is good but the truck was in a roll over and the grill has a slice in the middle but not cracked.Going to drive a hour to see it but for $5,I have to do it...

Just off topic...I'm going to look at a sport grill tomarrow..Its off a 2002 sport.The frame is good but the truck was in a roll over and the grill has a slice in the middle but not cracked.Going to drive a hour to see it but for $5,I have to do it...

Good price.

I dont know if this will help but here is a pic of my brothers old truck. It was line-x the same color on the bottom and it looked really good. Line-x fender flares would of made it look even better. Although with your color I think the right two-tone would look better.

Attachments

• 112_1271.jpg
    112_1271.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 46
I dont know if this will help but here is a pic of my brothers old truck. It was line-x the same color on the bottom and it looked really good. Line-x fender flares would of made it look even better. Although with your color I think the right two-tone would look better.

Thanks. Nice looking truck.

When I first bought my truck it had a similar silver color bedliner on the rocker panels. Then when I hit a deer and had to redo some of it, I decided to switch to black. I definitely prefer the black, rather than color matched. Also, don't do the sport bumper, I think that looks ugly as sin. And definitely use Line-X, none of that cheap crap. I was low on cash and used Vortex, never again will I use that, Line-X is far superior to any other brand, imo. In a perfect world, my truck would be charcoal or graphite with the rockers Line-x black and Bushwacker fender flares. Here's a couple pics of before and after.

Attachments

• 100_2829.jpg
    100_2829.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_2839.jpg
    100_2839.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
  • l_b7fa2ed9364ce6d0d023bdc16b6bcb7e.jpg
    l_b7fa2ed9364ce6d0d023bdc16b6bcb7e.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Silver Lake 08 040.jpg
    Silver Lake 08 040.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
Very nice truck..But why don't you like the sport bumper??It looks good on your truck.I don't think "J" will take any shortcuts on his truck..If he decides to do the black,he will use a good product like line-x.The job he is doing to his truck is the same job restoration any car collector would do...

IMO trucks with Sport bumpers don't look right with 2-tone schemes, if you do the bumper too it makes the truck look too half and half of two colors. Leaving the Sport bumper matching the top color doesn't look right either.

Two tone schemes look a lot better utilizing the standard bumper, paint the top cap the upper color and the gray plastic becomes the lower color/Line-X. I think the chrome band makes a good separation of the upper and lower colors and looks more natural than a 2-tone Sport bumper. But that's just what you wanted, another opinion right? ;)

When I first bought my truck it had a similar silver color bedliner on the rocker panels. Then when I hit a deer and had to redo some of it, I decided to switch to black. I definitely prefer the black, rather than color matched. Also, don't do the sport bumper, I think that looks ugly as sin. And definitely use Line-X, none of that cheap crap. I was low on cash and used Vortex, never again will I use that, Line-X is far superior to any other brand, imo. In a perfect world, my truck would be charcoal or graphite with the rockers Line-x black and Bushwacker fender flares. Here's a couple pics of before and after.

I like the black better, you are right. No way will I get cheap on the liner, I've already worked a deal with Line-x. He quoted me $500 for standard black, $650 for Xtra. $750 for color matched, $900 for color matched Xtra.

Very nice truck..But why don't you like the sport bumper??It looks good on your truck.I don't think "J" will take any shortcuts on his truck..If he decides to do the black,he will use a good product like line-x.The job he is doing to his truck is the same job restoration any car collector would do...

I believe that he meant to say "Don't spray the bedliner on the sport bumper & ruin it." Atleast thats what I got out of his statement?

IMO trucks with Sport bumpers don't look right with 2-tone schemes, if you do the bumper too it makes the truck look too half and half of two colors. Leaving the Sport bumper matching the top color doesn't look right either.

Two tone schemes look a lot better utilizing the standard bumper, paint the top cap the upper color and the gray plastic becomes the lower color/Line-X. I think the chrome band makes a good separation of the upper and lower colors and looks more natural than a 2-tone Sport bumper. But that's just what you wanted, another opinion right? ;)

I had the chrome on my truck & I decided to do the sport bumpers because the chrome didn't look right. :hehe: I don't think the painted orange bumper with black Line-x looks too bad. I'm tired of thinking about it to be honest. I'm getting this bed done, put it on the truck & I'm gonna paint the bottom of my truck black using guide coat. I just think the black will look best. This color changes alot & I think it would be impossible to do a color match that will look good with all shades this color produces. I haven't ruled out color matched yet, but I've been looking at my truck while sanding my bed. This color constantly changes with the sun.

I like the black better, you are right. No way will I get cheap on the liner, I've already worked a deal with Line-x. He quoted me $500 for standard black, $650 for Xtra. $750 for color matched, $900 for color matched Xtra.

WOW!!! I got our Quad cab long box 98 line X to the same height you are going. The truck is black as well, I got it done for $450. He used line X Xtra as well. Might wanna work on that price a little.

If I where you at this point, I would spray a black coat on the rockers from your line down and see how you like it.

WOW!!! I got our Quad cab long box 98 line X to the same height you are going. The truck is black as well, I got it done for $450. He used line X Xtra as well. Might wanna work on that price a little.

If I where you at this point, I would spray a black coat on the rockers from your line down and see how you like it.

I am getting over the wheel wells done also...that might be the added cost? Bad thing is, I already sanded the primer for Linex.

That seems like a pretty good deal to me. If I remember correctly, they wanted about $600 or so just to do the standard on mine. Didn't have that much coin so had to go cheaper.