Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

No not really.I am really going to like am the dbl.OD.And other people within to drive the truck home from a pull if I get tired.going from a .80 of to .61

Dale

got bored the other day and took the battery boxes out fron under the rear of the bed and took out 2 of the 4 batteries.I weighed everything that I took of including the longercables.The truck lost 210lbs I still have to go weigh the truck to see what it lost by taking out the 10 sp.and clutch assy.the front end set up higher than it did.
I then put the batteries in my side box not that I got the storage box in the bed.the box in the bed is lighter than one of the battery boxes.and it looks alot better.
I used some allthread to go from the bottom to the top of the side box to help support the extra weight I have a extra plate inder the bottom of the box so the rod don't pull though.and put some air line over the threaded rod inside just so no one will get cut by the threads on the rods.
May08Perky005.jpg

1347724289.jpg

1347724365.jpg

1347724361.jpg

1347724359.jpg

1347724279.jpg

here is a couple of better pictures of the mounting of the shifter on the ford columb.I know it isn't the cleanest way to do it but it was the simplest.and easy.
1347724260.jpg

1347724254.jpg

Dale

You should let me have the other 2 bAtts and cabless lol. I will be passing thru missori too

You should let me have the other 2 bAtts and cabless lol. I will be passing thru missori too

I'm going to have to use them in the pulling truck.We have to get together and shoot the bull looking farward to chatting.

Dale

I just realy noticed how nasty the alluminum is above the mud flaps got to repolish them and get some new flaps.and break out the paint.The wife said she would help me stain and clear the side boards but I have to sand them,I HATE wood working.I haven't even washed the old girl up yet.I need to get a flow control for the powerstearing pump way to big it is justb over 5gal a min.and 2300psi. and rina bigger resivor.and maybey a bigger cooler.it realy get very loud when the rpm.come up.I can't even hear the chargers whisle.Going to put the smaller pump on tommorow is is tosmall but for just driveing around with out a trailer it wil be fine at least I wount blow my hydroboost up and powerstearing box seals.

Dale

We are getting the transmission lined out shifting good tq converter locking up in all gears.
Going to do some more fine running.

Dale

I had to change back to my old power staring pump.The new one had 6gpm and 2600 psi it was making alot of loud noise and blown a line.the pump is for a Mercedes class 8 with dual stearing boxes.I still need to find a bigger pump..
The transmission is doing great in drive.going to work on running tapshoft for lockup.then see why I don't have TH.I am very happy with the way the Allison is performing.

Dale

Found out that the TPS is bad transmission was working good and then wouldn't.we finally watched the play back graphs and seen that it was erratic have another one on the way.

Dale

Glad your getting it figured out Dale, hopefully you get those finite details worked out fast!

-Tom

At wide open throttle it shifted great even with the bad tps.

Dale

Got bored last saturday and refinished the sideboards was my wifes idea she even helped.
1349483503.jpg

1349483497.jpg

1349483505.jpg

going to use a trailer tracking rod for my panhard rod so I can adjust it for side to side if I deside to raise up the air ride.The one I have on it now isn't adjustable.I.m off by 3/8 of a inch.nobody has said enything but I know it is off.
1349483556.jpg

Did some tracing of wires to see if there was a problem the TPS wireing I just went and retighten every conection and going to start driving it and se if this makes a difference.My fingers and tows are crossed.
What is your opinion? I thinking about lowering my timing to 15 it is at 18 at the moment stock was 11 the motor has 17.5 comp,ratio.

Dale

Transmission shifting better today drove the truck around yesterday for awhile.I had to give her a bath.Drove it to work today feels smoother.hit real hard only a couple times.Going to put some more miles the next couple of days before we do any more adjusting.At wide open throttle it shifts smooth but firm through all gears.I didn't replace the TPS it worked fine when I took it out and tested it so I went through and checked all the connections and put it back in maybe it wasn't getting a goo enough ground.I hope that was it.I'm very satisfied the way this swap working out.no more oil leaks from the motor after I took out the temp,sending probe.It leaked through crack in the seal where the locking nut held it tight.

1349643283.jpg

1349643285.jpg

Dale

glad you were able to reuse the TPS, maybe if i come back up that direction i can take her for a ride

Yes glad to have it running again.I have been debating with myself if I want to set the timming to 15 deg, from 18deg.The highest I have had it in the past was 13deg stock is 11deg.I'm just not used to hearing her have soo hard of a fuel knock.haven't run it very hard yet only have maybe 150 miles on sofore.
Toby you can have a ride eny time I should have took 15min. to just put the TPS back in and we could of had gone for a ride.It was nice meeting you.did make it back home yet? with out eny trouble hauling those axles.going to drive her around today so the trans, cane do some learning.If I get real ambitious I might breack out the alluminum polish since work called be off today.I reaily need to go find a better job.Some places come out and tell me that they think I'm to old for doing concrete work even I'm in better shape than some of the younger guys on the job sights.

Dale

Oh well next time. Truck jates me,onl?y have like 1.5 inch between bumpstop.geting 17 mpg tho