Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

as many times as you have worked on that perkins, this is easy for you and it wil run tons better too, i know you can nail it dale, keep up the great work

You are Wright there.I have actually been stalling on tearing it apart.hoping the knocking is the air compressor not the motor itself.

Dale

Disconnect the air compressor drive before you tear it down dale. That way it eliminates that.

The power staring pump bolts to the back same way on a big truck

Id still take it all off before i pulled the head..lol but thats just me.

got the head off not good news at all,no.3and 4 piston have a couple of pieces missing.will post some pictures later.perkins wants over 600.00 per,piston tis issn't a typeO.So I'm going to put some 5.9 cummins pistons and rings in the going from 3.937 bore to 4.020 from 365 to 381 ci. i have a few pistons on hand already.just have to mill very little off the top and open my perkins ristpin up .040.

i have to use what I have laying around poor peaple have poor ways that is what my dad always said when I was going up.my wife say's I will never go up.

Dale

That really sux dude. That would be pretty cool to have 5.9 pistons in there. No replacement for displacement:thumbsup:
What about the bowl design? Will it match the injector spray pattern?

Last edited:
That really sux dude. That would be pretty cool to have 5.9 pistons in there. No replacement for displacement:thumbsup:
What about the bowl design? Will it match the injector spray pattern?

The bowl for the 12v is messure the same I just have to turn the 5.9 piston 180 degees will match because my injectors are on the drivers side.
might gain 2 or 3 hp more :woohoo:what doo you think I might gain.
Dale

You can see the 1" to 1.5" of top ring.My phone was dead soon as it gets some charge to it down load some pics to photobucked then post them.

Dale

1356143882.jpg

1356143847.jpg

I had make a 24v valve spring compressor last week to swap out spring for Vance's motor we're putting in a 99 ford taking out the powerless.
didn't turn out tobad for a 45 min.worth of fabing.
1353989042.jpg

1353989037.jpg

dale

Awh man.. That sucks Dale... never would have thought that one... :(

And $600 bucks per hole?? Sucks having a one off engine... shew

Last edited:
Me neither I was hoping something like a valve seat.just my luck though.

Dale

IU would check your injectors. That top piston is the same kind of damage you see in IDI engines when the injectors dribble fuel out when sitting, then when you fire it back up you get a flame thrower from the pooled diesel and it looks just like that. Got a 6.5 with 5 holes in it that look just like it out in the shop.