Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

It does suck with out my electric heater.I have been useing propane heaters the one that look like a sunflower.To me they smell tomuch and give me a headace after a few hours.

Dale

Great Build, Dale just a gentle reminder on those propane heaters in enclosed spaces, they can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, one of the key symtoms is headaches

You are so write it will sneak up on you quickly.
We got all the wires gone through.Ihad 3 wires on the wrong pins in the TCM
No codes trany shifts in all gears.but don,t have lockup in eny gear.
We,re going to alot of playing EFI.All suggestions I would like to hear.

Dale

We don't have eny codes driven around for 7miles.has tap shift but no lockup.Only got to 5th could not get enough mph for 6th.The TPS got up to 71%.WE have all the data with EFI live saved.Going to play around to try for lockup.will keep everyone posted.

Awesome build. I didn't see it anywhere, jus out of curiosity what kind of power are you getting out of that Perkins?

Don't know for sure haven't gotten into it that hard yet.Going to break in the motor and get the tc to lockup.Then I'm going dyno it.

Dale

EFI will not control the lockup by it self.
Max
I tried to get ahold of Ben on the lockup setup he has waiting for a reply.The same goes for fleece not heard from them either.
We have tried everything you have talked about and sofore still no lockup.Bens setup seems to be the best option.I can't get on his site he must be updating.i doo like the way the trany is working sofore even though not locking up.smooth going in reverse and going in forward gears.have reset the shift points and tapshift work fine don't know about the T/H.It would be great to have some kind of way to show what gears you are in.

Dale

Dakota Digital has a module that will work with one of their gauges the module is fairly cheap but the gauge is like 700.00 but it wil show 4 different thing along with gear selector and tapshift and TH.That insn't realy all that bad. my problen is the gauge is alot bigger than the ones I have in my wahlnut dash and there is now way in hell I am making a new dash.I hate wood working.
OBDII Interface
This would benice if it would work with a smaller display like the other ones they have.
haven't had a chance to work on the old girl to much the past couple of day's.going to try to tomorrow morning.
Dale

All the wireing is correct and we can manually lock the convertor with EFI.Have made alot of phone calls and all have said that it is in the software frome the ecm to the TCM.We worked on the EFI for 2 hr.yesterday driveing around.We have all the shift points working good for me to be able to drive it around can't realy find out how good the truck will run with out the trany locking up.Tap shift works good and can't tell you much about the T/H.I know we will have to reprogram the TCM again when we find out what is happening to lockup.Even though I 'm having this lockup problem I'm still happy with the swap.
WARNING DON'T LOCK THE TC WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING TRANNY DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL GIVES A HARD SHUTTER THEN GOES INTO NUTRAL AND YOU HAVE TO REFLASH IT.
Dale

I have a 8.1 gas tcm common from Ben at btdieselworks.com
Hopefully this works.He has lockup modules and other controls for Allison's.

Dale

I'm getting a TCM from BTDeiselworks for a 8.1 gasser to replace the duramax one.the 8.1 has a different language then the deasel.So hopfully I will have lockup when I change them out.This should fix the problem.
I haven't done enything else to the truck at all.going to work on her this week.like getting the aluminum supports finished and polished for the front clip.and start on the inner fenders.And change the return lines some on the powerstearing and hydroboost.tomuch restiction.Pump grawls to much when the RPM go up.that is what I was told to do.
Dale

I hope your right.The motor runs alot smoother.The way I did the ht60 with flap to devert the exhaust to the rear port of the 60 for faster spool. the twins spoolrealy quick.I only took the boost to 20lb only having about 15miles on the motor.at 20 lb had 12lb on the ht60 22lb backpressure.I didn't have time to see egt,s.Going to get some one to ride with me to log the gauges.And maybe take a video.

Dale

Last edited:
I received the TCM from Ben at BTDIESELWORKS.com got it at 11:50 took a couple of min, to plug it in and move the wifes car and the 72 chevy out of the driveway.It reved up to 3600 before it would shift to 2nd same for 3rd.when I started out at the stop light I let of the go pedle and it shifted lower rpms.WE HAVE LOCKUP.I get it into 6th and the rpms at 60 is 1480 and at 55mph is1350.we will have to do some fine tunning with EFI and see how it reacts.before I order the lockup module from Ben so I can have it lock up in 2nd gear in drive and use T/H for when I use the AFC Valeigh switch.

Dale

Last edited:
I have to say thanks to everyone that has been involved with getting this Allison figured out.
I definitely feel allot better now.

Dale