Project DeRanged truck progress

I won't be making it to Indy, nor to Bucks race unfortunately. Fortunately, I get my son for 7 weeks in the summer, that starts on June 15th. Nothing is more important than him to me, so no work on the Ranger.

Sounds like your priorities are in line to me!

OK, well for the 3rd, and hopefully last time, the engine came out today. WHen we first had talked about doing the twins, we were thinking doing both up top, then we found out how little room there was. Unfortunately, I had tapped a -12 fitting on the drivers side of the motor, (dumb on my part), and since the LP turbo is on the passenger side, I needed to tap the pan on the passenger side, SOOOOOO out it came, as there is zero room to do it in the truck. The engine had to be moved over on the mounts just a touch because the steering was touching the drivers side manifold anyway, so I was gonna have to do that anyway. Now it is tapped with a -8 line, and ready to be finished. I also removed the intake and repainted it black, so it doesn't look like a beach ball anymore with the blue intake pipes. While I had the front end off, I was not happy with how the Radiator mount looked, so I took it out and re did it the way I should have done it the first time. Tomorrow, the front end goes back on, and I am gonna plumb up the radiator, water injection, and get the fuel lines run from the tank to the engine. I am gonna move the Painless Solenoid inside the truck, AGAIN tomorrow also. No pics tonight, Had to cut the grass, clean the boat for this weekend and do domestic chores. I'll post some more tomorrow.
I feel for ya. Mine went in and out enough that I managed to bash the windshield not once, but twice.

Keep in there! Hopefully you're not like me and making major firewall changes 4 days before it goes to paint!

Keep in there! Hopefully you're not like me and making major firewall changes 4 days before it goes to paint!

been there done that. We were still filling and sanding the firewall the morning it went to paint on my last major project. I hate deadlines!

OK, did a bunch today. Mounted the snow Water/Meth kit, No the wiring is not gonna stay like that:

Snow_Mount.JPG

With the Modified HP oil system, the FICM, (Fuel Injection Control Module), would no longer mount in its regular spot, so I made a custom mount.

Ficm_Mount.JPG

Mounted the Coolant overflow bottle, (its a 6.0, god knows it will use it). Looks like its in the way of the turbo in this pic, but its not.

Deranged_overflow.JPG

Ran Nitrous and water lines to the intake Horn, the other two spots will be for Temperature, and Boost Pressure gauges.

Deranged_Water.JPG

Removed my crappy radiator mount, and did it the way I should have the first time, the right way, and I cut out the hood latch, and hinge mounts, not gonna need either of those again. Also removed the radiator cross member support from the middle so I can get the fans on there.

Deranged_Radiator_Mount.JPG

OK, did a bunch today. Mounted the snow Water/Meth kit, No the wiring is not gonna stay like that:

Snow_Mount.JPG

With the Modified HP oil system, the FICM, (Fuel Injection Control Module), would no longer mount in its regular spot, so I made a custom mount.

Ficm_Mount.JPG

Mounted the Coolant overflow bottle, (its a 6.0, god knows it will use it). Looks like its in the way of the turbo in this pic, but its not.

Deranged_overflow.JPG

Ran Nitrous and water lines to the intake Horn, the other two spots will be for Temperature, and Boost Pressure gauges.

Deranged_Water.JPG

Removed my crappy radiator mount, and did it the way I should have the first time, the right way, and I cut out the hood latch, and hinge mounts, not gonna need either of those again. Also removed the radiator cross member support from the middle so I can get the fans on there.

Deranged_Radiator_Mount.JPG

Days not over yet. You sure that's all you want to do today? :hehe:

Looks better all the time. Good to know you have the discipline to keep priorities straight. Kids first and toys next, no matter what the wife/GF thinks. LOL

Thanks there were a few other things I did as well, but they were not as important. Spent half the day running around looking for hoses and clamps. I am very fortunate, I have the coolest wife ever. She lets me do pretty much what I want, and complains little. I don't push that, and she stays easy. LOL

I won't be making it to Indy, nor to Bucks race unfortunately. Fortunately, I get my son for 7 weeks in the summer, that starts on June 15th. Nothing is more important than him to me, so no work on the Ranger.
I agree with your child as your first priority (mine is for me), but this looks like a good father-son project! A couple of nights ago my 6-year-old daughter was helping me assemble my pistons, rods & wrist pins. How many 6-yo-girls know how to install spiralocks and know the difference between a pressed in wrist pin and a full floating pin (and which direction to mount the rod in relation to the piston)? ;) Next up is checking clearances, where I'll show her that all that math she's doing in school actually has real-world applications.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I agree with your child as your first priority (mine is for me), but this looks like a good father-son project! A couple of nights ago my 6-year-old daughter was helping me assemble my pistons, rods & wrist pins. How many 6-yo-girls know how to install spiralocks and know the difference between a pressed in wrist pin and a full floating pin (and which direction to mount the rod in relation to the piston)? ;) Next up is checking clearances, where I'll show her that all that math she's doing in school actually has real-world applications.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Very cool Michael. I can't wait to buy a house, so I can do these sort of things with my kids, and step kids...should be fun.

Tim...you done yet? ... LOL

Had to get a trailer to move the folks from San Diego, and low and behold this 24 foot car hauler was available, brand new. Funny how that works.

Trailer_1.JPG

Trailer.JPG

***********Waits for smart ass comment from Hellman about towing the truck around. LOL **************

Last edited:
Actually that pic looks like it, but it doesn't. My hitch that I have is set up for towing my Boat trailer, and its a 3" drop turned upside down. I need to get one for it, and also an electric brake controller. My boat has surge brakes. That pic does make it look bad, but its not.

now people cant see the badazz ranger your pullin around! custom graphics on the side with a big pic of deranged???

LOL, the whole way I ended up with an enclosed trailer was by justifying when I moved cross-country. I needed to get two cars hauled across, and the moving company wanted something like $2k each for the "extra" cars. I figured I'd rather put that money towards a decent trailer. However, I still end up using my flatbed for most uses since my big 32' trailer is just too cumbersome. Someday when I can afford it I'll get a 20' enclosed for the local races.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

My big problem with the 32' trailer is that I live on a sloping lot (with the street at the top), and it's also a tight squeeze past the house (11' clearance and a tree in the way so a turn must be made). There is a big "hump" to get over to get up the driveway and into the street. The one time bringing the trailer over that hump required a bunch of 2x12's to space it up, so it has stayed in the backyard for over 7 years. Eventually I plan to widen the driveway (and remove that tree) so I can hit it at much more of an angle, and add rollers to the tongue and rear of the trailer. In the meantime it's much easier with the little flatbed I have.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Its been 8 weeks since I have seen the thing, finally have a few days to get back to working on it next week.

Back