SmartyResource

I doubt I ever even got that far into the load, barely made half throttle and got out of it.

But if your smoothing up a to a early/high peak then it's probably safe to say your low load timing is too high also.

I would make your peak timing be only in the 100% load column, and work up to it. So start with about 5° at the 31.4/37.5 load at 2000 rpms and work up. At 2800 rpms start at about 2° at 0% load and work up to your 27°.

I didn't mess with the low load stuff too much at all, left it pretty much where it was, within 1 %

I was on the fence too about my S-04 and was on the verge of buying a SSR until I found this informative thread (sorry about DTR link :doh:):

Smarty: Power on Demand

Did you ever get your S-04 upgraded to POD?

After verifying the information in that thread with MADS, I'm able to use my S-04 only because I had it upgraded to POD back when MADS first released POD in 2008.

When it was upgraded to POD the board was changed to turn it into a S-06 POD per the white sticker on the back of the Smarty.

I too had the same concerns as you about not being able to go back in time with old Smarty tunes so I have been running the same TNT/R tune since 2008. I loaded the new UDC compatible TNT/R tune and it runs smoother and less smoky than my circa-2008 TNT/R.

No I never had my S04 updated, I doubt Mads offers the upgrade any longer. That 14 pages from DTR was reminiscent, but I'm sure that boat has long sailed.

TNT/R Sample SW7 should be close. The RP may be a bit low, but you can fix that.

Alrighty then, guess it's time for S06 POD W/dongle, what's this gonna cost? 1k?

I would email Bob and ask if you can have your S04 upgraded, it's always worth a shot.

I would email Bob and ask if you can have your S04 upgraded, it's always worth a shot.

Your right, can't hurt.

I like having one of the first 3rd Gen Smarty's made available, my serial number is #S04A06000098. Kinda cool...

Just sent an email to Bob. I see where S06 is $685., didn't see pricing for the dongle/udc on either Bob's website or Mads, isn't it around $250/300?

Just received an email from Bob, says he has me covered! He will upgrade my S04 to POD and add a UDC dongle for $300. Thank you Bob!

I'll have to put my truck back to stock and ship my unit off.

Jess

I was on the fence too about my S-04 and was on the verge of buying a SSR until I found this informative thread (sorry about DTR link :doh:):

Smarty: Power on Demand

Did you ever get your S-04 upgraded to POD?

After verifying the information in that thread with MADS, I'm able to use my S-04 only because I had it upgraded to POD back when MADS first released POD in 2008.

When it was upgraded to POD the board was changed to turn it into a S-06 POD per the white sticker on the back of the Smarty.

I too had the same concerns as you about not being able to go back in time with old Smarty tunes so I have been running the same TNT/R tune since 2008. I loaded the new UDC compatible TNT/R tune and it runs smoother and less smoky than my circa-2008 TNT/R.

As far as UDC goes... so far no issues with the software in my 2 days of playing around with it.

Hey metal_miner, Thanks for starting me down this path, Bob is upgrading my S04 and including a UDC dongle.

Last edited:
Just received my USPS Click-n-Ship notification that my updated Smarty and UDC are on their way home. Yoo Hoo! Bob really offers exceptional service.

Brian, Has any thought gone into a training seminar at a few places around the country?
Or maybe online training in a real world hands on video? I think that may help alot of people starting out or trying to fine tune. Comprehension of the charts and numbers are key to getting it right!

Now that you mention it! Yes! That is being discussed. We want to do an in depth video which is in the works. We are also discussing doing training at various locations. Watch the forum for further details. Thanks!