SmartyResource

Hey AH,
Can you take that image of your timing table and show what is the first cell that we are not suppose to mess with like it says in the tuning tips? Is it just the very first cell at the 400RPM and load % 0/6.3? Or is it all of the 400RPM cells in each load% range?

The only cells I recall the tips telling you not to touch were the duration ones that read 0.

Looking for info on best timing number for highway cruising at 2000rpm for MPG.
20 to 30 % load

Have you ever thought that maybe,just maybe,you may need to find a dyno and strap the truck down to tune it instead of using your SOP-O-Meter?

I think he needs to read and learn more. There is supposed to be a dip in the timing...it has been explained and shown in the UDC thread. The dip and good milege have a very strong relationship.

Time and a dyno would be great! But right now I have neither! Reading oh yeah! Learning as I go begging for morsals of info to make sense of it right now! getting slapped knew it was coming thanks! Just want to make it run good without melting anything and continue working! Sometimes you have to jump in and learn on the run! Hopefully others will read these posts and learn from my stupid questions! Let's keep it going we can all learn from each other! Mostly!:poke:

Your mileage is going to suck with that timing you have.. Timing is what keeps torque up and allows the engine to produce good mileage numbers

Revo to TNT?

Can I update the Smarty to get TNT UDC files on one computer and the update s Smarty again to go back to Revo files? So in theory I could compare revo to tnt maps with two computers?

Also on the tq management maps in the sample files are those showing that maxed? Like tq setting 4 on S06-PoD?

You can open both maps on the same computer, you don't need to have TNT in the Smarty to look at in UDC.

With my Jr I can look at SR TNT/R, Revo, and SSR files.. you just can't compare across tuners.

I need to upgrade from my S04, so.......do I buy an SSR with a UDC dongle and I am set? Will my 03 truck still recognize my S04 with my VIN locked TNTR tune after playing with SSR/UDC? TIA

I need to upgrade from my S04, so.......do I buy an SSR with a UDC dongle and I am set? Will my 03 truck still recognize my S04 with my VIN locked TNTR tune after playing with SSR/UDC? TIA

The Jr., SO6, and SSR are all currently supported with UDC. The SSR gives you the most adjustability, and then down from there. The SSR allows you to adjust parameters in the maps to a higher level (ie, max timing, max rail pressure), and you can adjust the rpm in the rev limiter. I have both the S06 and SSR, with UDC dongles for both. If you are not racing, sled pulling, etc. I would say that the S06 is fine. If you want the max adjustability, then the SSR would be better.

Once you load a newer software onto your truck you cannot go back to an older one using the standard softwares for the Smarty.

Paul

The Jr., SO6, and SSR are all currently supported with UDC. The SSR gives you the most adjustability, and then down from there. The SSR allows you to adjust parameters in the maps to a higher level (ie, max timing, max rail pressure), and you can adjust the rpm in the rev limiter. I have both the S06 and SSR, with UDC dongles for both. If you are not racing, sled pulling, etc. I would say that the S06 is fine. If you want the max adjustability, then the SSR would be better.

Once you load a newer software onto your truck you cannot go back to an older one using the standard softwares for the Smarty.

Paul

I don't pull or race, the only reason I was leaning SSR was that I believe Marco (way back when) provided a close Starting point to the then current TNTR. I am actually pretty happy with my current tuning, so I believe I would have a good starting point.

I was afraid I would lose the ability to access my old files, I still have the luxury of beta's and original 411 files, whenever I choose. I know quite a few folks could never revert back, but I have never had that issue, my truck always recognizes and responds to any of my tunes.

I guess maybe the time has come to join the party...

If you know what TNT/R setting you are running now then you can look at sample TNT/R tune in UDC to copy, so I also don't see the need for SSR.

gee, brian was in here looking at the thread, no comments at all, we must all be right on the money with our ideas.

loaded a tune on my truck the other day that is an absolute disaster, but it makes me wonder if for example, the timing graphs are the actual timing numbers, or adjustments made above existing tunes timing. I am drawing at straws only thinking this way due to the horrid way the truck responded.

If you know what TNT/R setting you are running now then you can look at sample TNT/R tune in UDC to copy, so I also don't see the need for SSR.

My tune is, S04_Revo_TNTR57_Jess_Page.7z, SW6, TM3,TQ1, RP3, WG on, shift de-fuel off, rpm high, speed limit 250.

So, is there a sample TNTR that is close? When Mads provided the non-vinlocked TNTR, most of the 03/04 folks prefered their vinlocked versions, so I stayed put.

SO6 would be an easier method for me, since it's operation is close to my current programmer.

I was on the fence too about my S-04 and was on the verge of buying a SSR until I found this informative thread (sorry about DTR link :doh:):

Smarty: Power on Demand

Did you ever get your S-04 upgraded to POD?

After verifying the information in that thread with MADS, I'm able to use my S-04 only because I had it upgraded to POD back when MADS first released POD in 2008.

When it was upgraded to POD the board was changed to turn it into a S-06 POD per the white sticker on the back of the Smarty.

I too had the same concerns as you about not being able to go back in time with old Smarty tunes so I have been running the same TNT/R tune since 2008. I loaded the new UDC compatible TNT/R tune and it runs smoother and less smoky than my circa-2008 TNT/R.

As far as UDC goes... so far no issues with the software in my 2 days of playing around with it.

Last edited:
loaded a tune on my truck the other day that is an absolute disaster, but it makes me wonder if for example, the timing graphs are the actual timing numbers, or adjustments made above existing tunes timing. I am drawing at straws only thinking this way due to the horrid way the truck responded.

The timing values are actual.

Paul

They are actual.

What did you change? And what made it a disaster?

My tune is, S04_Revo_TNTR57_Jess_Page.7z, SW6, TM3,TQ1, RP3, WG on, shift de-fuel off, rpm high, speed limit 250.

So, is there a sample TNTR that is close? When Mads provided the non-vinlocked TNTR, most of the 03/04 folks prefered their vinlocked versions, so I stayed put.

SO6 would be an easier method for me, since it's operation is close to my current programmer.

TNT/R Sample SW7 should be close. The RP may be a bit low, but you can fix that.

smoothed out and progressively raised timing till it reached 27 degrees at the max, started hitting 27 around 70 5 load table, at about 2800 rpm, then slowly fattened that end of the ramp as I increased load. how was it a disaster? I guess it doesn't like not having the drops in the ramp down around 30 - 60 % load as it was a wicked rattle fest.I may just start over with say the baseline 10 tune, and work from there. I would be picking the 10 0ne based on it being least likely to cause rattle. unless you guys think another one would be better off to start at. Both of ya seem to know what you are doing, if ya want to look at what I did, Let me know via a e mail address by way of pm.

I think that's way too much timing (That is 75% load right?). At 2800 rpms you would need about 3200us of fuel for that much timing to not be too much, and I think that's a little more than realistic, but I could be wrong.