Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

Real quick and then I have to get some sleep to be on duty all weekend !

Good things so far are;

The 480 looks fine!!! I don't think its hurt at all.

Several Several folks have contacted me and want to help out!

I can't thank all you guys enough!!

I'll post more later when I actually have a direction to be headed in with it. I do like the 03/04 piston and injector idea!! I've heard you can run the 04.5+ ecm with this combo and have it work pretty well. I'd love to have to 2 event ECM but beggers can't be chooser's!

G'nite fellas! I'll be on all weekend and will be che king the thread and pm's!

Hey, see there I told you to think positive and the bottom turbo might be ok... I guess the top one took the flack to protect its comrade!!!:rockwoot:

Keep your head up swole. Went through it 3 times with my dads truck couldnt imagine how he or you felt.

David you have me scared to even drive my truck now. For three years I beat on it and it was always fine. Started twins then the trouble started. Now my trans is being redone and I think I will take it easy from now on.

Wish you the best of luck. And feels like I need to send my condolences to a lost family member like its that bad for you.

Greg I am curious on why you feel that way about the dr p... I have been running a dr p for several years now,, never a problem,, I personally feel that it is the cadilac of the pressure boxes

For three years I beat on it and it was always fine. Started twins then the trouble started.

That's my story too. I've not seen the trouble yet since I just put them on other than, what a PITA compared to installing a single. I'm not as comfortable about WOT as I was before when seeing this kinda thing!

You don't need to switch the ecm to run the 03-04 nozzles and pistons.

"It proves that the piston design isn't the cause of melting pistons! I might as well be talking to a brick wall! I'm leaving this thread you have fun being a know it all. Looks like you'ved single handedly saved the common rail! .

Swole, sorry about the carnage hope all goes well for you!"

This reply proves you don't know chit' about anything. Good thing your finally leaving this thread.

P Pumps dribbling fuel onto a 600 series piston at 3-5,000 psi have absolutley nothing to do with two cp3's blasting on with 27,000 psi plus (since he admitted fuel system failure too). I am not in anyway acting like a knowitall...

Just calling you and your jiberish out. If you were sorry for Swole's carnage...you would try to help out with real experience, sympathy, or a generous act of some sorts instead of worthless slams against a product.

Like a said before STFD.

Duramax's also have aluminum heads. Or giant heat sinks.. ...

Very true but that's not the reason they are melting pistons, a aluminum head would not save them either.

How long are we going to run tunes and boxes and have no idea what we are setting them at? We are modding these trucks in the dark and foolishly.

Just a thought you couple look into p pumping it since greg as come out with a straight cut gear for pumps.

P Pumps dribbling fuel onto a 600 series piston at 3-5,000 psi have absolutley nothing to do with two cp3's blasting on with 27,000 psi plus (since he admitted fuel system failure too). I am not in anyway acting like a knowitall...

not to derail the thread, and not trying to sound like a d!ck. This is a serious question. If dual CP3's fuel so much harder, why are some common rail guys p-pumping their common rails?

Also, could one CP3 flow enough to blow a fuel line off like swole described? only asking cause a friend had his blow off, i was just wondering if it was a pressure issue or what....

Thanks for insight.

Swole, im in FL, let me know if i need to take a weekend trip north to lend a hand before TS!

Greg I am curious on why you feel that way about the dr p... I have been running a dr p for several years now,, never a problem,, I personally feel that it is the cadilac of the pressure boxes

Kevin, On mine the Dr. P pressure is WAY TO AGGRESSIVE!! Engine sounds like it is ready to throw the crank out the bottom at idle. Rail pressures are 15k at idle and jump to God knows what at just the touch of the throttle.

And Dave, I have five 03-04 and five 04.5+ used pistons. If you need any of them, they are yours. ;)

And Dave, I have five 03-04 and five 04.5+ used pistons. If you need any of them, they are yours. ;)

i know its not much but i have five 03 pistons i can donate to Swole

Thank you Guys!!! Thank you everyone for offering your help and parts!!!!

There have been SO many replies since I was working on the truck the last two days that it'll be Impossible for me to reply to everyone that offered help but PLEASE Know that I appreciate each and every one of you that offered and / or even took time to post a reply!!!!!!!!!:thankyou2::thankyou2:

I've got LOTS of calls to make and people to get back to, as well as pulling the engine apart to see just how bad it may be inside too..(bent rods, etc.)....Once I devise a plan I'll get with the one's that offered help / parts...Just know that I will forever be indebted to you guys for the help..

Damage list so far::::

Bent exhaust Hamilton Billet push tube (only the one that I found so far)
Head ( not sure if usable yet )
Block ( not sure if usable yet )
At least 3 pistons
Turbine wheel on my secondary Htt 62/71/13ss

and I'll have to think about the rest.......Just got a call to go to....will post up a bit later!!!!!!

Thanks again for caring you guys!!!

This is strictly thoery here....Common Rail Meltdown similarities....

1. Smarty
2. Big Twins
3. Dual Cp3
4. Stock IC
5. F1 injectors

Not trying to point fingers....but merely informational.:poke:

This is strictly thoery here....Common Rail Meltdown similarities....

1. Smarty
2. Big Twins
3. Dual Cp3
4. Stock IC
5. F1 injectors

Not trying to point fingers....but merely informational.:poke:

Hmmmmm.......I've got all of that, but never thought about the Stock IC....Not sure there's enought there to over come 2200-2800 * cylinder temps with an aftermarket IC....

This is simply my opionion and not because I run his stuff, but I don't see how Don's injectors (the way he manufactures / hones / edm's/ etc. can be THAT much different from any other brand to cause This much damage as apposed to what another brand could do.......Just my opinion though....27-30K + psi will atomize fuel well either way...won't it??

I could see Dual cp3's have something to do with it but there are others (triton / TY ) that have not had issue with this....

Big Twins....Well I don't know if a 62 ^ 480 is considered BIG but either way, I also thought more air the better..for cooling purpose.....

I'm gonna lead more towards Tuning and Specific ECM Problems from either runing a certain tunner or having switched them.....

Frankly!!!! I'm SCARED to use my original ECM ever again!!!!!!

Thoughts??

Hmmmmm.......I've got all of that, but never thought about the Stock IC....Not sure there's enought there to over come 2200-2800 * cylinder temps with an aftermarket IC....

This is simply my opionion and not because I run his stuff, but I don't see how Don's injectors (the way he manufactures / hones / edm's/ etc. can be THAT much different from any other brand to cause This much damage as apposed to what another brand could do.......Just my opinion though....27-30K + psi will atomize fuel well either way...won't it??

I could see Dual cp3's have something to do with it but there are others (triton / TY ) that have not had issue with this....

Big Twins....Well I don't know if a 62 ^ 480 is considered BIG but either way, I also thought more air the better..for cooling purpose.....

I'm gonna lead more towards Tuning and Specific ECM Problems from either runing a certain tunner or having switched them.....

Frankly!!!! I'm SCARED to use my original ECM ever again!!!!!!

Thoughts??

I have your solution Swole...
12 Valve!!!

I think more interest needs to be payed to figuring out why you're spraying soooooooo far outside the bowl.

Way to much timing, to broad a spray angle or both. Hell, the dimples in these pistons always look like they start at the damn cylinder wall. I mean, is the spray actually hitting the damn cylinder walls?

What's the vertical distance from the centerline of the nozzle holes on an installed injector to the bowl lip, the width of the bowl, rod length, compression height and stroke.

With that info the guessing stops, as you can tell the minimum timing required for any given nozzle angle to miss the bowl static. In a running engine as rpm climbs that number will only get larger and larger anyway.

I get the feeling you guys are running waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much timing, or the nozzle spray angle is getting way F'ed somehow.

Just me.