Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

With respect, I disagree. This much HP density and this combination of parts would benefit with the addition of water.

As an FYI, I machined .030" off the injector nozzle caps on this injector set. This allows the use of the stock copper washers that anyone can locate/find in a pinch. It makes less difference in the end than we would all like to think anyway. Lower or not lower, you have too much heat being let go too fast. Also, I know I harp on the use of water and I would bet a dollar I asked or perhaps even begged for water to go on this engine.

Most of these threads get deflected anyway. Mis-info a BS gets people going all kinds of directions. Confusion is not far behind.

Even taking steps like we did to lower piston temps like opening the exhaust valve earlier than stock, holding it open longer to allow more heat to get out, using twin turbos, longer intake duration, etc we still have a toasted engine.

I bet most of the damage was caused at the staging lanes. Thats when CR's that are built, suffer the most. I cant say much else. It'll get drowned out anyway.
:bang

Im listening closely.

d@mn, sorry to hear about what happened to your motor.hope you get everything worked out. i know mine was not as bad as your's but here is a pic of my piston when my valve seat took a chit.by the way let me know if there is anything you need, i have a bunch of extra stuff laying around.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
So far we have blamed:
Timing
Programming
Pressure Box
What Swole ate for dinner
Injectors
Pistons
Swole's foot
Evil Spirits and
Voodoo

You forgot;

water in fuel
dirt in fuel
sand in fuel
capped rail
absorption of heat

Can anyone tell me how many degrees the timing would need to be advanced before TDC to get the 124° pattern outside of a 3.004" bowl?

Can anyone tell me how many degrees the timing would need to be advanced before TDC to get the 124° pattern outside of a 3.004" bowl?

Is that the picture Timmay speaks of ? Just learning here..... timing is what would cause spraying outside the bowl like that ?

Greg, I would love to see a graph using other pressure boxes, such as dr p or diablo puck or edge ez. that would be a great comparison.

BTW what did you use for a sensor to monitor your rail pressure?

jeebus dave! man am i sorry to hear this.

well, try and be upbeat and listen to jeff. he's the most helpful person ive ever had on the phone! even when i call the poor guys cell phone. you'll get er back..i want a ride in that thing at TS:Cheer:

Greg, I would love to see a graph using other pressure boxes, such as dr p or diablo puck or edge ez. that would be a great comparison.

BTW what did you use for a sensor to monitor your rail pressure?

Kevin, it is the stock rail sensor

You forgot;

water in fuel
dirt in fuel
sand in fuel
capped rail
absorption of heat

Wouldn't rail pressure factor in this? more pressure = faster fuel as it exits the nozzle right, farther it will go too (assuming it's not burnt at the leading edge).

Yikes!

I'm getting this strong urge to go put a coat of wax on my trusty old 12Valve:D

Sorry for all your carnage Swole. If I were in your shows I'd be :chug::chug::chug:

H2O would help at these crazy HP levels. If you have never seen the high pressure H2O system on a pulling tractor check it out. They will inject 3 to 4 gallons in one pull, it's all that keeps them from melting parts.

I got to wonder about a hung injector as well...

:pop::pop:

Cr engines

Is it possible that RPM's are helping the V-8 stay alive? My thought's(for what there worth) are that the dodge is hurt itself from the lower rpm range they are run in. These motors are air pumps and the more often you change out the air in the cyl. they better. That means more rpm in my eye's. I also think that timing is your friend as long as you don't lug the motor down on shift points or spin it out at the end of a pull. How many pullers burn them up that are at the top(correct gears,tires set-up) in finishing with a CR? Are they always spinning them out at the end and not snuffing them? Drag guy's how low does you rpm go on the shift's? Just my thought's so flame away. Jeff

On my way home now. Gotta make a delivery for Jeff first.

For the record. Im NOT blaiming anyone but myself on this! I would like to have a few things checked, but more than likely it was just my luck and LACk of knowledge still with these CR's as it stands with current tuning.

Don M did suggest I run water and I should have I guess. He has been More than Awesome to me with my builds and his products are great! Thank you Don!!!

Thank you to Everyone that posted and offered their simpathy's and help!!!

I will post more later but these folks behind me are getting Pissed at me weaving all over the hwy. while typing this!! LOL

I guess I need to write myself a citation for DWT - Driving While Typing!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Hmm I've never seen that graph Dockboy but that's a good find. After taking out another set of injectors I have taken my pressure box off. Will just run it at the track if that. As for some people kinda loosley pointing at the Smarty it may be the culprit but all Smarty's are set up the same correct? If the Smarty has so much timing it's melting pistons everytime Swole hooks it up how come guys like Wesley Wade can have a perfect looking motor after 100+ hooks? Or can something go wrong in the programming where they can ramp the timing up to catastrophic levels?

On my way home now. Gotta make a delivery for Jeff first.

For the record. Im NOT blaiming anyone but myself on this! I would like to have a few things checked, but more than likely it was just my luck and LACk of knowledge still with these CR's as it stands with current tuning.

Don M did suggest I run water and I should have I guess. He has been More than Awesome to me with my builds and his products are great! Thank you Don!!!

Thank you to Everyone that posted and offered their simpathy's and help!!!

I will post more later but these folks behind me are getting Pissed at me weaving all over the hwy. while typing this!! LOL

I guess I need to write myself a citation for DWT - Driving While Typing!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Will there be water this time?

Really sorry to hear about this Swole.. Wish I was closer to lend a helping hand. I really miss my duramax everytime I read about a melt down..

Since it looks like your gonna need pistons anyway...Why not put some 03-04 pistons in it and nozzles?

Wish you the best of luck man!!

I too have often wondered why dmaxs don't melt pistons like cummins does... Can cylinder temp be that much different inside a cummins then in a duramax?

Will there be water this time?

Really sorry to hear about this Swole.. Wish I was closer to lend a helping hand. I really miss my duramax everytime I read about a melt down..

Since it looks like your gonna need pistons anyway...Why not put some 03-04 pistons in it and nozzles?

Wish you the best of luck man!!

I too have often wondered why dmaxs don't melt pistons like cummins does... Can cylinder temp be that much different inside a cummins then in a duramax?

maybe the reason Dmax's are not melting pistons like CR's is the have EFI Live, therefore they are able to customize there fuel and timing tables. as were we are stuck running what someone else writes for us in programmers and tunes. also we are taking the CR to 4000 rpms, i believe that couple extreme timing with high pressures on the rail with 4000+ rpms and whammo, bye bye pistons.

Back